Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

So are they really going to change him to a woman in regular continuity and everything? That panel was indeed depressing. Are there not monsters and villains enough without this? My mom lost a years long fight with cancer when I was 19 and the last thing I want to read about when I pick up a comic is cancer!!! Good grief. Killing Superman, Wolverine, making Thor a woman. What's next, papa Smurf kills Gargamel seeking revenge for an unfulfilled existence? Sheesh

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by monitor_ep
      You know it is either Angela or Valkyrie, anybody else and nobody would pick it up.
      Angela is getting her own book, so not her.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

It's fear of Wonder Woman. By the time Hemsworth splits from the franchise at its current pace, DC will have a solo WW movie in production or even released. So they may intro her at the end of Thor 3 as a way to close the gap.

This is part of the same pandering by dragging Miles Morales into the 619 or the rumor of Falcon becoming Cap. It's insincere and far from organic. The movie tail wags the comic dog.
        It's a stunt. By the time Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theaters with Wonder Woman in 2016, this will be over and done with, and in the 50 cent bin.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by TomStrong
          That panel was indeed depressing. Are there not monsters and villains enough without this? My mom lost a years long fight with cancer when I was 19 and the last thing I want to read about when I pick up a comic is cancer!!!
          You said it. I lost my mom the same way.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

A gimmick in comics? What a time to be alive....

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

You guys make good points of it not being Angela. Maybe Jane Foster becomes worthy of the hammer because of her battle with cancer.

Would you go see a movie with Natalie Portman as Thor?

Gadot vs. Portman might make a good pillow fight.

Forgive me for my poor taste.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

So Quesadilla is going on Colbert today to make some announcment. Speculation is Sam Wilson as Cap.

I read a really good breakdown as to how Thor went from a conjuring like Shazam, to two distinct people like Hulk, to a solo identity, and now a transferable monicker. You can really see how this is all movie driven. Mackie doesn't make squat next to Evans, and he's tied in for at least two more movie. A female taking over for Thor is not going to be a big name like Jen Lawrence, but a nobody like Hemsworth was. The Sony rumbling's indicate the Garfield experiment and spin-offs are DOA, so it's only time before they move on to Morales, and that's a guarantee if they sell the rights back to Marvel, which is apparently more possible than ever. That only leaves Iron Man...who could easily be Tony's unknown son from Madam Masque, whose now Indian, and was raised by the Mandarin or something just as inane.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by madmarva
                  You guys make good points of it not being Angela. Maybe Jane Foster becomes worthy of the hammer because of her battle with cancer.
                  Marvel just bought Angela, they'd want to shore up their newly acquired trademark with a title of her own.

Jane Foster used to be bonded with Sif after almost dying way back in the day as well (in the seventies?).

Foster's story has been on the back burner for most of the current run of Thor: God of Thunder. She's currently the representative of Midgard in the parliament of the 9 Worlds in Asgardia.

It could also be one of Thor's Granddaughters, currently featured prominently in the current.

The only other candidate I can think of that is of any significance in writer Jason Aaron's current run is his love interest Roz Solomon, Agent of SHIELD. Can't see Marvel turning down the headlines or publicity for a same-sex/transgendered couple as a result of this change though.

Also, remember that time Thor was a Frog?
                  Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 16, '14, 11:47 AM.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by madmarva

Would you go see a movie with Natalie Portman as Thor?

Gadot vs. Portman might make a good pillow fight.

Forgive me for my poor taste.
                    The writer confirmed to CBR that it's an unknown character and her secret identity will be part of the storyline. Combine that with how "He-Thor" is still roaming around 616, and it all reads like a soap opera escape hatch if it doesn't catch on.

This really has to be movie driven, because any other time Marvel swapped a character it was driven by the need for new trademarks.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by hedrap
                      The writer confirmed to CBR that it's an unknown character and her secret identity will be part of the storyline. Combine that with how "He-Thor" is still roaming around 616, and it all reads like a soap opera escape hatch if it doesn't catch on.

This really has to be movie driven, because any other time Marvel swapped a character it was driven by the need for new trademarks.
                      In the flash-forwards in Avengers, the male version of Thor is running around with his axe instead of his hammer, because he's no longer worthy.

I'd agree it's the need to shore up their trade-marks. DC experienced this first hand when Marvel introduced Wonder Man. In the same way they introduced She-Hulk and Spider-Woman in the seventies. I'm sure with all the cross gender cosplay going around, and mockbusters by the likes of Asylum, they would want to lay claim to any possible female derivative versions of their characters/IP. Particularly now since the House of the Mouse runs the House of Ideas.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
                        Okay, maybe this isn't so bad after all...

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Female Thor sounds good to me

I think ANY superhero as a female would be a hit.

Would love to see the new Apache chief as a girl.

Everyone would want to look up her loincloth

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Hey look, they made Captain America a girl now as well.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by hedrap
                              looks like you might be right about this being movie driven... Whedon has just tossed out his dream casting of She-Thor. He wants She-Starbuck (She-buck?).
                              July 15, 2014 - Huh... not a bad choice at all. Joss Whedon, the director of The Avengers and The Avengers: Age of Ultron, took to the world wide interwebs in support of

Comment

• Megotu
                                jerk
                                • Dec 16, 2001

So if Disney owns Marvel...
                                And Odin is the King of Asgard...
                                And Thor is now a female...
                                Is Thorina the newest Disney Princess????
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎