X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willykfg
    Museum Patron
    • Apr 24, 2010

Wizard of Oz Tin Man

I have a type 1 Scarecrow and was wondering if Mego ever made a version with no hair on the head. I don't see any signs of it ever having been there. Thanks!
    Last edited by willykfg; Jul 14, '14, 6:25 PM. Reason: mistake in post
  • SentientApe
    Career Member
    • May 1, 2014

Hair?? He had armor plating on the back of his head. Perhaps I misunderstood the question?

EDIT: of course, after you edited your post to read "Scarecrow" instead of "Tin Man," my follow-up comment sounds stupid. But I'm glad you got your answer.
    Last edited by SentientApe; Jul 14, '14, 9:49 PM. Reason: original post was changed, making my comment irrelevant.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Some Oz Scarecrows had painted hay details; later ones had rooted yellow hair tufts to suggest hay. Are you thinking of this figure?

But the Tin Man head stayed the same throughout production & has no hair, which is accurate for the character & film.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• willykfg
        Museum Patron
        • Apr 24, 2010

Duh...I meant the Scarecrow. What was I thinking? Thanks for the info. I have a type 2 with rooted hair & a type 1 with painted details. Do you think the one with painted details is more rare? I was considering selling it but may keep it if it's harder to get.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

They both seem to be plentiful on ebay.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

It's more preference of what you like . Like the color variants of the lions suit

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

You know, I've owned just about every Mego 8" line at one time or another (WGSH, Pirates, Knights, Western, Starsky & Hutch, CHIPS, Dukes, One Million BC, Trek, Apes), but I've resold nearly everything, except for the Wizard of Oz line. They aren't particularly valuable, obviously, but overall it's one of the nicer lines Mego did. And they're very affordable: other than a boxed Wizard or perhaps the Witch's Castle or Munckinland playset (or the Munchkin figures themselves), most can be had boxed for, what, $50-75 (I haven't checked pricing for a long time, so that may not be accurate)? For toys that are nearly 40 years old, that's pretty cool.
              When I went through my Mego purge phase, my daughter was 4 or 5 years old, and I promised her I'd keep the Wizard of Oz line for her. We have a pretty complete collection, T1 & T2 figures boxed with & without the yellow brick motif on the front panel (including a T2 boxed Wizard and a T1 bagged Wizard), Emerald City playset, Munchkinland Playset, Witch's Castle w/brown shipper, the 4 Munchkin figures, and even a set of 4 - 18" Super-Softies (or whatever they're called). As I said, they're not particularly valuable, but they're one of Megos nicer lines overall. Definitely overproduced, which accounts for their low value, but nice nonetheless.

Comment

• Capt Kirk
                Museum Patron
                • Jan 15, 2005

In late 2015, I bought a T1 Scarecrow minus its hat, along with a complete T2 Lion. The Scarecrow had no hair, and showed no signs of ever having had any.
                AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                  One eyed, wonder
                  • Dec 17, 2009

A friend of mine gave me a selection of characters to sell for him. Both boxed and loose. Although I've checked ebay, those prices seem to be all over the place. Can anyone point me in the direction of a current value list, and an idea of what price would move them? Thanks!

Comment

• josephcardone
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 10, 2010

I would realistically think that they are in the $25 to $35 range overall (boxed). Loose/Mint/Complete probably $10 or $15. The mayor is worth a decent amount if he his boxed.

Comment

• megomania
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jan 2, 2010

Oz never did give nothin to the Tin Man that he didn't already have

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                        One eyed, wonder
                        • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by josephcardone
                        I would realistically think that they are in the $25 to $35 range overall (boxed). Loose/Mint/Complete probably $10 or $15. The mayor is worth a decent amount if he his boxed.
                        Dis is Dino Pidone saying thanks to Joseph Cardone!

megomania: Please believe in me. ;P

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎