Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

The Mattel arms were fine. They should have just done a ball-jointed waist and legs and the bodies would have been good.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

I believe the legs on the Retro Action were similar to those used for Big Jim, at least in the thickness of the thighs; maybe the skinny waist too. I don't know much about the innards of Big Jim, but I don't think that is what people were comparing the Retro Action figures too. HERE is an ended auction to compare and decide for yourself!

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 28, 2013

The waist was different on the bodies that I bought from Ebay. One of the pictorials here at the Museum showed taking the body apart to restring and add clear "padding" for a better fit, and I was going to do that method but the upper torso is connected differently to the crotch. Very floppy legs but the figure designs have grown on me for sure.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I collect Big Jim, too. The overall sculpt is more balanced, & BJ has a "traditional" ball & socket waist, like Megos. That's why I mentioned that it was a shame Mattel didn't blend the two designs.

Some members here definitely did compare RA to Big Jim, in part because they were both Mattel products.

Originally posted by TRDouble
          I believe the legs on the Retro Action were similar to those used for Big Jim, at least in the thickness of the thighs; maybe the skinny waist too. I don't know much about the innards of Big Jim, but I don't think that is what people were comparing the Retro Action figures too. HERE is an ended auction to compare and decide for yourself!
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 15, '14, 6:22 AM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I have a Superman and Batman with the corrected waist. They still can't stand and the legs are floppy but the waist doesn't flop over.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Toystasher
              • Jul 18, 2014

I pretty much agree with what has already been said. Mattel added some worthwhile characters to the 8" line of figures, including Flash and Green Lantern. Yes, the bodies have some poseability issues and the emblems on some of the outfits become quickly "stressed." I think Wonder Woman is by far the best figure out of the entire line. Her outfit is a great improvement over the Mego outfit. I also think Green Arrow's outfit is better than the original, except for the bow with attached boxing glove which I personally don't care for. Some of the villains were were sorely needed as well, including Lex Luthor, Captain Cold, Sinestro. Overall, there are some figures worth having and others that I don't think Mattel should have wasted time making, including the last wave in particular.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎