X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Alex Ross does Dick Sprang Batman

I'm a bit on the fence on this one. It's clearly based on Dick Sprang's work, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's not based on an actual Sprang piece. And Sprang drew a muscley Dynamic Duo...BUT DAMN!!!

I think the roid rage takes a bit away from the rest of this beautiful piece. I love everything else about it, but Batman and Robin's exaggerated musculature and veins is distracting from it quite a bit.

I saw this over at the Bat-Blog:

The BAT-BLOG Batman Fan Site is all about the Dark Knight! We also cover news about Old Vintage Collectibles, New Toys and Products, Film, Animated TV Shows, Cartoons, Statues, Books, Action Figures, Video Games, Batman V Superman Movie and we feature Desktop Wallpaper too!

Chris
    sigpic
  • ShadowAvenger
    Career Member
    • May 14, 2007

I have to agree with you about the extreme muscular duo. One punch from either of them would break the jaw or teeth of almost any one they punch. Otherwise, it is a beautiful piece of artwork.
    Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

The Joe Jusko muscles are kinda scary, but it's still a beautiful piece. Reminds me of some of the commissions John's Byrne has done that hits the highlights of a character's history.

I couldn't find a batman example, but this Mysterio is pretty cool.

Last edited by madmarva; Jul 11, '14, 4:03 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Sprang did several retrospective pieces like this in the late 80s/early 90s, so I'm guessing Ross painted over top of his design. And being the stickler for detail he is, he interpreted Sprang's barrel-chested Batman through his realistic camera lens.

That Mysterio piece is nice. I always thought unmasked Mysterio looked like Leonard Nimoy.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

love me some Sprang, but man that piece is really wretched. The over muscled duo is too much. And what is up with Ross's color palette lately?
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TomStrong
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            love me some Sprang, but man that piece is really wretched. The over muscled duo is too much. And what is up with Ross's color palette lately?
            I've noticed the change in the palette lately too and I don't care for it. I think you could see it beginning with the Death of Batman series. I do think it looks appropriate with the '66 batman but I prefer his usual subdued tones. Don't get me wrong, I love Ross, He's my favorite comic artist. I think he depicts heroes in the light they deserve, I just don't care for this. I think part of this is me as well. I keep looking for another Kingdom Come and he's probably wanting to do something fresh with his art. But I could read and buy new comics all day from him in his usual style (Kingdom Come).

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

The piece is similar to the cover on a collection of Batman newspaper strips.

I'm glad Ross is doing some Marvel and DC work. His series of 75th Marvel anniversary lithos look great, to me.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

I do not like the roid-rage Batman and Robin, but the rest is just drool worthy.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

So strange... Doesn't seem like Ross. Would veins really show through spandex?

Weird.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                    I do not like the roid-rage Batman and Robin, but the rest is just drool worthy.
                    That's what I was thinking, too... Absurdly pleased to see the Cavalier included.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

One of the things that's always bugged me about Ross' work is it looks very flat. The figures in the foreground are the same tonally with everything in the background, and they just don't stand out. Even the close-up Joker face doesn't really appear to be in the foreground...the whole piece lacks dimension.

Joe Jusko will always be my favorite comic painter...

Last edited by enyawd72; Jul 11, '14, 6:01 PM.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

I love it!
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^Wow, that Jusko piece is stunning. I'm not really familiar with him doing much DC work.

I'm a big fan of Ross, but I have to admit, the strange palette he switched to doesn't appeal to me as much. His cover for Batman 66/Green Hornet was a callback to his classic style, and I loved it.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• torgospizza
                            Theocrat of Pan Tang
                            • Aug 19, 2010

What's Robin supposed to be here--like 12 or something? His legs look like Tom Platz's back in the day. It's too much.

Comment

• Random Axe
                              The Voice of Reason
                              • Apr 16, 2008

^^^I think Anthony has found some new artwork for a future box. That Batman piece is terrific.

Yeah, the Ross artwork isn't his greatest work. He's gone away from his Rockwell colors and has embraced his inner psychadelic. It's clearly his work, but something is just off to me, and I'm one of his biggest fans.
                              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎