X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

FTC: Maybe Superman (movie) we can't do Wonder Woman TV show

This is how FTC replied to my email yesterday asking if FTC will make 8" and 18" figures of Mego 12" Superman Movie and Wonder Woman TV series figures.

A maybe on Superman is good news but not happy about Wonder Woman TV. I once read that when Lynda Carter worked with DC Direct on its Lynda Carter Wonder Woman statue and bust that SHE suggested ACTION FIGURES, too! Why not FTC?

Does any other company like Tonner or Hot Toys have rights to WW TV series and Lynda's likeness? 2015 is 40th anniversary of WW TV show! I have waited since 1975 when I was 5 for a true Lynda Carter WW figure!

PLEASE don't tell me MATTEL has exclusive rights to a DC Multiverse 4" TV WW! That would be an INJUSTICE! Gal Gadot may get WW figure before Lynda!
  • firestarcomics
    Museum Patron
    • Jun 19, 2014

Oh, NO! That's just terrible. Lynda Carter is ALL about her fans an would definitely champion another re Mego doll with her likeness. She is very proud of the Wonder Woman character and speaks highly about the show's legacy. It be nice if we emailed Lynda and contacted her about this and the fans wanting a WW anniversary figure from FTC. Wouldn't it be wild if the Farrow did a Lynda Carter figure? Talk about a double threat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im posting my redo of Lynda as WW on my gallery soon. Im NOT crazy about the new WW Gal Gadot disaster casting but Im NOT watching the movie so no problem.

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

If FTC never makes a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, I don't think it will be because of a lack of desire. It'll be another issue.

I'm sure they know like all of us that a well designed and executed Wonder Woman figure based on Lynda Carter would double or more what they will sell of the mego repro. The mego figure is basically for mego heads and Wonder Woman completists.

I have a touch of nostalgia for the figure because megoes were primarily what I played with as a kid when I wasn't outside, but if I were a Wonder Woman or Lynda Carter fan, my $25 would be spent on something besides pajama-party Wonder Woman. There are so many better looking figures of the character to be had.

Based on the quality of the 66 batman line and the new Alfred figure (despite the out of scale head), FTC can design mego-like figures that will be attractive beyond niche, nostalgia market once it isn't burdened by "the do it like mego" mentality that the repros demand.

My hope is that sales are great and other things fall into place so that a mego-like Lynda Carter Wonder Woman can be made.
      Last edited by madmarva; Jul 9, '14, 5:20 AM.

Comment

• jeffbearco
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 27, 2011

I still hope we can at least get a good Neal Adams version of Wonder Woman then! And a Diana Prince!

JeffBearCO

Comment

• Gadgeteer
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 16, 2014

George Reeves Superman too please!
          Sad, my daughter and I are really getting into the Wonder Woman TV show after Batman on MEtv.
          ReMegos of the show would be great...we'd take Multiverse figures though!
          sigpic

Comment

• firestarcomics
            Museum Patron
            • Jun 19, 2014

I'm a HUGE Lynda Carter fan and I LOVE Wonder Woman. I hope that FTC will one day or another company will do a Lynda Figure. I enjoyed the 70's MEGO stuff and am glad that reMego style figures are coming back. It's great that people are coming out and supporting these lines enough to keep them going. I would definitely support a Wonder Woman figure based on Lynda and buy one asap. The original 70's Mego doll is pretty expensive and I do have issues with it as far as the legs and boots are concerned. I never could figure out why the body type was incredibly skinny and the legs 20 miles long? That made the figure look out of proportion and kinda strange.

Comment

• Vinny0026
              Year Five!!
              • Jan 26, 2012

I think it all comes down to money and rights on WW and some of the other stuff everyone is asking for.

If Figures Inc can get the rights for a reasonable price - I think they would do it.
              But getting rights is not always about a dollar amount there are other issues involved.

Also keep in mind - they hold the rights to a lot of different lines at the moment. In order to make the money back for paying for these rights and to produce the figures they still need to make "X" amount of money before being in the green.

Take Tarzan and Conan for example - they leased these rights and those lines are still yet to hit.

You do not want to stop production of new figures on a line you already have rights for - to go out and spend more money on a new line and have the attention turned there.

I like to believe we will all see these other figures and lines down the road. But the smart thing for them to do is make what they already own.
              maybe once they complete the 66 line down the road years from now - they can turn to getting rights say for ww. Or maybe after the lease runs out for dukes of hazard get rights to another show etc..

Its like leasing 2 cars at the same time - if your already paying for the one and you go out and get a 2nd - your not getting your full moneys worth out of either of them.

IMO you will see other lines down the road from them - but the smart thing would be to focus on what they already own.
              They have not even scratched the DC surface yet of what hey can make and they will go deep into that universe.
              "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• melkorjunior
                Museum Super Collector
                • Apr 20, 2014

I'm still hoping Hot Toys gives us a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman at some point. Hopefully they'll give us a Gal Gadot too, as I think she's going to be the best part of the upcoming movie. But let's face it--there's no guarantee at all that FTC can really nail Lynda's likeness. As much as people rave about the FTC Batman and Robin '66 figures, they look nothing like the actors. Neither does the Riddler. The costumes are what make these figures hits, not the likenesses. Joker looks great, but that's one hit and three misses out of four. If you really want to see Lynda Carter in action figure form, your best bet to get a great figure with a dead-on likeness is Hot Toys. Just check out their batman and Robin '66 figures--the likenesses are amazing.

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 11, 2014

Their is a rights issue on TV Show Wonder Woman period. It isn't completely a no go but it is going to be a harder to get the rights issue. I can tell you they really want to do this and for some time. I actually think if they ever get the rights to do this it will be one of their best sellers.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                    • Mar 15, 2008

If FTC gets to do a Lynda Carter WW, I'm all over it in a heartbeat.
                    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• ovenmitt
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 26, 2009

What is the rights issue? Does it come down to Lynda Carter granting permission to her likeness? Wonder Woman TV series was produced by Warner, this is not like Fox produced Batman TV show! And FTC can maybe do Christopher Reeve Superman movies? Can someone explain this to me?

Comment

• ovenmitt
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 26, 2009

Today on Facebook someone asked "are there any plans for a Lynda Carter based Wonder Woman line?"

FTC replied "can't comment yet" followed by a smiley face

FTC must be working on WW TV license because FTC could have said "no" or "not now"

2015 is 40th anniversary of 1975 The New, Original Wonder Woman TV movie Lynda Carter's 1st appearance as WW so I hope there are FTC figures by then!

Comment

• jeffbearco
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2011

If they get the license, they need to be prepared to make a LOT of them!

If they were to do them as faithfully as the 66 Batman series, people will be all over it!!!

JeffBearCO

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎