X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • argent007
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 7, 2005

Does FTC have the license for Isis?

While I've seen a lot of coverage about ISIS in the news, there is only one Isis that I care about (and honestly not all that much). If FTC puts out a reproduction of Isis, I would be happy to add it to my collection. Does DC have the license to Isis? More importantly, does FTC have the license to do an Isis figure?

Cheers!
    My Updated Want List:
    Comic book original art
    1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
    Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

FTC does have Isis sandals on their website now.

As far as I know, the rights to the live action Filmation series are still owned by Dreamworks Animation, acquired through several buyouts/consolidations of the previous owners (Filmation, et al)

However, that didn't stop DC from reworking the character as their own version in the "52" series (she even got a DC Direct action figure), as well as appearing as a character on "Smallville" (played by Erica Durance)
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

I probably shouldn't write this since I can't cite the source, but I believe I read that Isis wasn't a part of the license because of the entanglement Toyroom mentioned. Hope I'm misremembering, but it could be as simple as staying away from the live-action card art since a different but very similar version was used in the comics.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
        • Feb 27, 2014

IIRC FTC's CEO stated 'we tried to see if the DC license extended to cover Isis and it does not'.

Comment

• melkorjunior
          Museum Super Collector
          • Apr 20, 2014

FTC could still put out their own version of Isis if they wanted--the character is an Egyptian goddess after all, and much like Thor, anyone can produce any version they want as long as it doesn't directly copy someone else's. FTC wouldn't be able to use the card art or the Mego headsculpt, but no one can claim ownership of an Egyptian goddess.

If I were FTC I'd give the fans something even better to go with Captain Marvel--a Mary Marvel figure. A well-done Mary Marvel would blow any version of Isis out of the water. FTC could even give Mary the white outfit she wore awhile back, so she could be sort of reminiscent of Isis.

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by The Toyroom
            FTC does have Isis sandals on their website now...appearing as a character on "Smallville" (played by Erica Durance)
            ISIS Gold Womens Boots Pair http://www.classictvtoys.com/blackwo...spair-1-1.aspx

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Unless they struck a separate deal, they don't have it.

You can always gauge ownership by video distribution. Shazam, naturally, was released by Warner Home Video/Archive. Secret of Isis was released through Brentwood (BCI)/Eclipse, which was bought, sold and closed. They had the Filmation license from Classic Media which bought, merged and split with a UK company called Boomerang, into Enterainment Rights, before Dreamworks grabbed it. So that Isis is an amalgalm of the live-action and Space Sentinels/Freedom Force.

FTC could, as mentioned by Toyroom, just follow the DC New 52 design. It's a modern version and I have a feeling DW only owns a Trademark on "Secret of Isis". And since no one marketed the headband, sandals, etc...as symbols it would seem to be fair game.

Comment

• argent007
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 7, 2005

Great info. Much appreciated. I think I will keep an eye out for an original Isis! And maybe I should start watching Smallville...
                My Updated Want List:
                Comic book original art
                1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
                Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

And maybe I should start watching Smallville...
                  Erica Durance kept me interested in the show, even during it's most infuriating spells.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎