X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Universal Monsters Complete Collection DVD

Universal is bundling up the (wonderful) Legacy sets and injecting Phantom of the Opera and Invisible Man movies into the mix. Nice to see the Monsters getting released yet again.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

This is great, but the only ones I'm missing are the Creature and Invisible Man sets. I wish they'd just re-released them, as they are now out of print. I don't think the Phantom had a legacy set before, did he? It's only two films, unless they throw in the Hammer remake, which they also own the rights to.

Too bad this isn't on Blu-Ray. The initial Universal Blu-Ray set is gorgeous, especially the cleaned up Dracula.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah I'll be passing on this because I have 85% of it and I can live without the others.

Got really lucky with the Legacy sets and found them used and/or on closeout.

I really like the later Mummy movies with Lon Chaney (i know), I'm not sure I need them on Blu Ray.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I love those Mummy films. I only had vague recollections of them before someone put the Legacy set in the donation box at the library where Cindy works. A buck later, I had the Karloff classic, and these B-sequels, which, while not nearly as impressive cinematically, are a helluva a lot more fun!

I really wish I'd got the Creature set. I only have the first film.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I wonder if that is the DVD release of this

Absolutely amazing set. Just for starters, Creature of the Black Lagoon in it's original theatrical polarized 3D and FINALLY Dracula 1931 got an actual restoration. Looks terrific and even the stutter in Swan Lake at the beginning is gone.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I'd be most interested to see what's considered the Phantom's Legacy Collection--judging from the contents list, it's just a re-release of the DVD for the 1943 Rains version.

The Chaney film is in the public domain; I've never understood Universal's current relationship to it, either as a (restored) film or a licensed property.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

If I hadn't collected the legacy sets earlier this would be a must-have. Glad it's back in print.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                I wonder if that is the DVD release of this

Absolutely amazing set. Just for starters, Creature of the Black Lagoon in it's original theatrical polarized 3D and FINALLY Dracula 1931 got an actual restoration. Looks terrific and even the stutter in Swan Lake at the beginning is gone.

Yeah I own this along with the Legacy sets, it's flipping gorgeous.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, that Blu-ray set is great. I was thrilled to finally see Creature in 3D as intended, that alone was worth the price of admission for me.

I have most of the original Legacy DVD sets, but the sequels were all on 2 sided "flipper" discs. Unfortunately, Universal had some problems with these, especially if they were made in Mexico. They are often prone to "DVD rot". I watched mine when I first got them and they were fine but I haven't watched any of them in several years, I hope they haven't deteriorated in the mean time, I'm scared to check!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I have all six Legacy box sets, so I think I'll leave it at that.
                    Hope they haven't deteriorated...
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Have the Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man, Mummy and Creature Legacy sets already... plus many of the same movies in assorted other box sets.
                      I guess next for me will be the Blu-ray sets.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

DVDs can rot? WTH
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• torgospizza
                          Theocrat of Pan Tang
                          • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          DVDs can rot? WTH
                          I always thought burned off discs deteriorated relatively fast, but standard DVDs would last for decades. Anyone have an idea about that?

$140 for thirty movies of this quality is really impressive. If this was Blu-ray, I'd definitely upgrade and get it. That's a whole lot of entertainment.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

The problem is oxidization of the reflective layer if the DVD isn't manufactured properly, at which point the laser can't read the disc. It's rare with DVDs but some have had problems, including early dual layer DVDs made by Anchor Bay, and some "flipper" discs from Universal (discs where both sides are playable). Laserdisc collectors can relate to this problem, "laser rot" has made many early laserdiscs unwatchable now.

Burned discs are a completely different animal. A properly manufactured pressed disc should last for many years, but a burned disc uses dye (factory pressed discs do not) and that dye can break down over the years. That said, I have some CDRs and DVD-Rs from over 10 years ago that still play fine, so far.

Comment

• torgospizza
                              Theocrat of Pan Tang
                              • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by cjefferys
                              That said, I have some CDRs and DVD-Rs from over 10 years ago that still play fine, so far.
                              Good info. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎