X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjaycox
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 16, 2008

You NEED to get this book!!!!

This is a fantastic book about that most notorious of Aurora model kit lines: The Monster Scenes

Written by Dennis Price, the leading expert on The Monster Scenes; and Andy Yanchus, a former Aurora employee who brainstormed the idea.

This is not only a fantastic reference-- it is a great read too. In fact, this may be the best book about a toy line I have read (and I've read alot).

If it doesn't win the Rondo award for book of the year, they should retire the award, because it's meaningless then.

http://www.amazon.com/Aurora-Monster...monster+scenes

Buy this book. I am serious. You won't be disappointed.

Beast witches

Matt
    Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Yep, sounds good to me. I grew up with these, so many memories!
    I'll go look for a copy...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Added to pile.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Cool, I'll need to pick this up.

On a related note, anyone ever read "Nightmares in Plastic"? It's a book about monster models, co-written by Jorg Buttgereit. Yes, the man who directed the infamous Nekromantik films. The book was published in Germany but the text was both in German and English. I remember almost pulling the trigger on it when it was solicited by Diamond years ago. Wish I did now, it's long out of print and pretty spendy on Amazon right now.

Comment

• vulcan2074
          Live Long and Prosper
          • Mar 23, 2008

Awesome! I love Aurora Monster Scenes.
          Sammy

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Love Aurora kits, though these not as much--but I really love behind-the-scenes of the toy/hobby industry. Thanks for the referral!
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• mjaycox
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 16, 2008

Anyone who loves Garage Resin Kits should own Nightmares in Plastic. It is fantastic.

It is more like an art book whose subject happens to be resin kits.
              Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• vulcan2074
                Live Long and Prosper
                • Mar 23, 2008

I got my copy yesterday and it looks amazing.
                Sammy

Comment

• YoungOnce
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 29, 2007

I got a copy in last week and really enjoyed it. The pics are amazing and though I remember seeing these growing up, I never owned any. The ad in the comicbooks throughout the 70's was a staple.

A well put-together book! It was funny how the model kit industry kind of had a "Seduction of the Innocent"-like era that ended these inventive kits.

Comment

• tay666
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 27, 2008

Great book.
                    I snagged mine at Wonderfest and got it signed by Tory, Dennis, and Andy.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                      Creature Of The Night
                      • May 14, 2011

I wanted to thank you for posting this thread, I'm not sure I would have discovered this book otherwise.

Went to a (fairly) local monster-themed specialty shop over the weekend and asked for it by name...and they had it. Just finished reading it...what a great story and reference guide! I had the "Rated X...for Excitement" issues of these when I was a kid. I remember picking them up at our local Longs Drug Store...one or two at a time until I had all eight kits. (I picked up the Moebius reissues a few years back...I can see the inspiration behind their packaging choice, Page 68.)

I also collected the Prehistoric Scenes...seems that there may be a companion book on the table, which would be really cool too.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎