Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NECA-to-TypeS : anyone attempt this yet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

NECA-to-TypeS : anyone attempt this yet?

Anyone do a body swap yet on their Freddy or Jason?
    I picked up a $10 Freddy at MMX and I've thought about doing this since I got home.
    Freddy was found all taken apart, but I put him back together at the meet.
    After seeing him for a couple weeks now, he is an awesome figure, but their bodies just don't do it.
    He won't stand level (unless he's in military pose) because his feet are flat.
    As soon as you pose him, his feet are so rigid, they turn cockeyed and he has no balance.
    I thought maybe it was just this one, but I compared to Sean's and same deal.

So.
    If you haven't seen a NECA body/Freddy like this, he has no movable neck.
    There's a sculpted neck with a ball joint on top which connects the head.
    The rest of the figure can be broken down accordingly (it seems) for the switchover.

I'm getting closer to modding this bad boy and it has Dremil written all over it.
    I might want to salvage that nicely sculpted neck. I envision doing a precise cut, remove as much of the underside as possible with a Dremil tool.
    Fashion a neck plug and attach to the TypeS torso. I get to keep the neck appearance, articulation and the added benefit of pose-ability and articulation.
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

lol ok, so apparently this has not been done yet and I now know why

NECA torsos are solid PVC.
    Broke the dremil out and cut that painted neck/shoulder area off.
    It would not shape over the Type-S chest as I hoped, so Plan B...cut more off the Freddy chest to leave pretty much just a neck stump.

Heat gun is your friend. Heat those joints up a tad on BOTH kinds of bodies and they come apart super easy, and also in reverse.
    NECA lower arms swap as well as feet.

Dremilled the Type-S neck opening slightly and pictures are worth a thousand words....

Img_1025.jpg

Img_1026.jpg

Img_1027.jpg

Img_1028.jpg

Comment

• noelani72
      27inaleon
      • Jun 25, 2002

Img_1030.jpg

and this is an unsupported Type-S body pose!
      Made me feel like Freddy was pulling off a classic Frank Sinatra or something LOL

Img_1032.jpg

Comment

• ubermanx
        Career Member
        • Jul 3, 2013

ZOINKS!

That looked like alot more work than it should have been. Love the ground to death torso shot

End result looks great though. A+

- Marty

Comment

• vulcan2074
          Live Long and Prosper
          • Mar 23, 2008

I didn't think their torso would be solid like that. He looks awesome on his new body.
          Sammy

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

Nicely done, sir. I may need to do the same when my Eddie shows up.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

thank you guys. It didn't take me too long - Boss knows exactly when I walked out to the garage today to start tearing things up ;-)

Comment

• boss
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 18, 2003

It was 1:28. ;-)
                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

^^lol, so just about an hour and a few minutes to post pics...awesome sauce.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

Nice results… any thoughts about reutilizing those Neca arms and legs? Are they ball jointed?

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Looks like a lot of work but the end result sure looks darn good!

Hmmm... now if only someone had a scanner and 3d printer, and could make copies of that neck adapter piece...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Great work, you should be designing toys.

Definitely a big improvement, but I'll leave my Freddy the way he is. If I mess it up, I can't afford getting a new one...
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by sprytel
                          Looks like a lot of work but the end result sure looks darn good!

Hmmm... now if only someone had a scanner and 3d printer, and could make copies of that neck adapter piece...
                          lol, mmm I never thought of that during the fun. Actually, not sure how I'd do it since that ball-joint-post is in there like that. I'm sure we could figure something out if there were enough folks who wanted it.

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                          Great work, you should be designing toys.

Definitely a big improvement, but I'll leave my Freddy the way he is. If I mess it up, I can't afford getting a new one...
                          I hear ya. It was only because I found him in a ziplock baggie already in a half dozen pieces (for an awesome $10 from Dave Lee/Craig's table) that it even crossed my mind...well, that, plus he didn't stand well and we have another one.
                          Knicked my lefhand index finger with that dremil cutter too..dang. For a little gouge, it sure stings

As for the question earlier about reusing the NECA body parts, someone "could" i suppose, but not me. They don't have any swivel action and seem to be a tad smaller than Mego-scale. Those NECA forearms I put onto the Type-S were a little short, but with him dressed, no one would know.

Funny, as I was exiting my garage after doing this surgery, I hit the light switch and went to shut the door behind me. As I reached for the switch and door knob in one continuous motion, soon as it got dark, something caught my left eye.
                          Yea, this guy was glowing like there was gonna be no tomorrow
                          Forgot I was using a glow in the dark body for this project haha

Comment

• RobTMego
                            Career Member
                            • Mar 15, 2013

Very cool Chad, I bet when you saw it glowing, this came to mind "1.. 2.. Freddy's coming for you..."

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎