X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Forbidden Zone

While taping our upcoming Podcast about Apocalypse movies, I couldn't help but bring up one of the weirder but fonder memories of my childhood.

Behold the Forbidden Zone Trap, my favourite Mego play set of all time. I wanted this so bad as a kid it hurt, which is weird because it's basically a city destroyed by a nuclear war AKA the thing that keeps kids up at night.

It also is pretty much anti-human but having worked retail, I totally understand that one.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • vulcan2074
    Live Long and Prosper
    • Mar 23, 2008

I'm totally digging that ad. I love me some POTA.
    Sammy

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

This too was the Apes playset I always wanted but never had. Then about 3 or 4 months ago, I bought one never assembled and proceeded to bust that sweet beautiful cardboard out and free. Putting it together is one of my favorite toy moments of all time. Damn!, such great fun and it looks great rockin' my drawing table!

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

I love this set; and the horsie peeking in at the corner.

Comment

• Actorman
          Museum Super Collector
          • Oct 4, 2010

Was there any difference between the Cornelius and Galen figures? Considering they were both played by Roddy McDowell in the same exact costume and make-up, I can't imagine there would be much to differentiate the two characters. I'm actually surprised they sold both of them at the same time.

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Good for you! I had the same experience w/ my treehouse set!

Originally posted by Confessional
            This too was the Apes playset I always wanted but never had. Then about 3 or 4 months ago, I bought one never assembled and proceeded to bust that sweet beautiful cardboard out and free. Putting it together is one of my favorite toy moments of all time. Damn!, such great fun and it looks great rockin' my drawing table!
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

So cool. I don't have one yet, & most here know what a play-set fiend I am.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Actorman
                Was there any difference between the Cornelius and Galen figures? Considering they were both played by Roddy McDowell in the same exact costume and make-up, I can't imagine there would be much to differentiate the two characters. I'm actually surprised they sold both of them at the same time.
                That is so Mego. The lure of packaging variants, even back then lol.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

This was always one of my favourites too. I never had one though, still don't. I gotta change that someday...

Comment

• Orion
                    Museum Night Watchman
                    • Mar 11, 2008

Was the Forbidden Zone made out of cardboard or was it the same material as the Star Trek Enterprise set?

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ nicely laminated cardboard with plastic supports and secret Ape mechanics.

Comment

• mpramuk
                        Museum Patron
                        • Nov 24, 2007

PotA was my fav as a kid. I always enjoyed the Village playset, even though it just is the Batcave. Gotta admire any toy that includes a vivisection table! And I love the Statue of Liberty art on the outside of the case.

Today I have 2 treehouse sets, the Forbidden Zone, the Village and the Fortress as home to my 30+ ape army. I appreciate your joy at assembling a new set fresh out of the box - I remember doing it as a kid but haven't had that pleasure in the past 35+ years. Good on ya!
                        Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
                        Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.

Comment

• Orion
                          Museum Night Watchman
                          • Mar 11, 2008

Originally posted by Confessional
                          ^^ nicely laminated cardboard with plastic supports and secret Ape mechanics.
                          Thanks!

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

This is one of the first playsets I ever got when I started collecting. One day I need to set it up.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• msenger76
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 3, 2009

OMG. loved this as a kid. grandma got it for me at a yard sale with soldier ape, zaius, cornelius and the astronaut. i want one now

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎