X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

The Meet : a decade

So this is the second meet for Eleanor, the 8th or 9th time Lily has been there (I think she missed ages 0 and 1 -I'll look through my pics) and the 9th or 10th meet for me.

My first mego meet I came solo. I wandered around on Saturday -I didn't even know there was a Friday swap meet or any other details. i can't even remember how I found out about it. I was a museum lurker at the time. I had been an occasional lurker from the toymania url days. I didn't really talk to anyone much at the meet. I had a handful of stuff to trade. No takers. Anyway, I was still in awe of how much mego goodness was on display.

The next year I came with my wife and two year old and talked to some people. I had been a Mego Museum member for over half a year. I still didn't do the friday thing or get a table. I had a good time though.

2007 was the last year i came without getting a table. It is the only year I brought the whole family (Eleanor didn't exist in prior years and Amanda hasn't been back). It was also the first year my friend Jacob lived in Wheeling (the prior year we stayed with his parents). This was the first year I was really engaged with others at the meet. Still no friday night attendance. I also didn't attend talks, dinner or anything outside the dealer room.

2008 was really the first year I was an active participant. I dropped Amanda from the trip which was sad because I love being with her but it was great because it gave me freedom to geek out with MM friends, pedal my wares, attend talks, and dinner at Undo's. I think I still missed Friday night. Lily came with me on our first father daughter trip. She would come to call this OUR weekend (she is a little upset about 2014's tag along). This is the year Lily started buying on her own. She negotiated EMCE hammer from his asking price of ten dollars to 15 bucks for an applause WW. I haven't ever bought a lot at the meet. I think this is the first year I dressed in costume.

2009 I set up Friday night, I did the whole meet thing EXCEPT mego suite. I have a free place to stay nearby with a friend that I make our visit a dual purpose for the trip to Wheeling. This is the only year that he and his daughter came to the meet. -Who was it the was giving kids the mego repros with glow in the dark bugs? We still play with those. And I dressed in costume.

2010 So now I had an annual plan. Lily and I head to Wheeling Friday afternoon, set up, visit with Jacob and family, Mego Meet all day Sat with Lily attending half a day saturday -costumes second half of Saturday. This year I went to the Mego Suite for an hour or two to see what it was all about. I would love to do it every year but the dual purpose of my trip to vista Jacob prevents this. Lily did her first Custom "Frozen's wife". I ate at Undo's and raced home to rest for a triathlon Sunday morn. I did the tri the next day for 3 years.

2011 again -up with Lliy friday, set up and swap meet & pizza, stay with Jacob and family, half day solo at meet, half day with Lily and Costumes. I was fully invested in the "meet" part of mego meet. I think this is the year I started selling off my collection of loose complete megos. I think it was '11 I actually bid and won something in the auction (though I "sold" it to Ben Holcolm). Lily won a custom award (5x5 painted by Art) which is on the wall in our house. The fun of making the custom with Del and Ed (along with the prize) hooked Lily.

2012 to 2013 were a blast. More of the same. I sold a lot of stuff. The only thing I remember buying was Mightor -which I sold a could years later at the meet for the same price. i am tired of typing.

2014 - By now I have sold off most of my collection. I gave away a bunch items, sold a few items and went home with most of what i came with. The big difference this year was Eleanor. Lily didn't want her to come because it is supposed to be OUR weekend. She had to come b/c amanda couldn't keep her. Lily still had a ton of fun. She loved making her customS. She had a blast with Julia at my friends house (and pool). She loved planning for the meet and mingling with the stream of Megoites she has come to know. She liked showing Eleanor the ropes, visiting the Toy and Train Museum and o much more. She has an infatuation with Art and his comics.

The 2 things I have been most impressed with at Mego Meet -1. People who are creative and industrious. (Paul Clarke, Brian Leitner, David Lee and Craig, Art, MegoKnight, Chad, Austin, Steve Moore, Farley, Sam Noir, Laser Mego, ScottA, MegoScott .... (definitely tired of typing and thinking) 2. People who are friendly and like minded. -this list is definitely too long to write out.

Eleanor and Lily putting together their customs, talking to you guys, seeing the talent and work behind the Megos, and reactions to the Robin costume were my highlights. -oh and for the first time in 10 years I spent more than I made at Mego Meet and I am happy with that. i also had fun at my friend Jacob's house and driving the VW bus across the state.

Oh and I know in those threads posted that say "I am sure I forgot several people" still leave me feeling left out when I am forgotten, yet I know I have forgotten to mention MANY of you.

____________ , you are my favorite Mego Museum member.
    fill in the blank

See you next year.
  • Mego Milk
    Custom Mego Maker
    • Jun 3, 2007

Aw Yeah the next Decade begins today!

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

Batmite with Action Cat

Eleanor's custom Clash of Clans Troll (and my thing)

Lily's customs

my haul

Lily and Eleanor shared

Lily's stuff

Eleanor's stuff - I forgot to upload pic.

Outside the museum

getting to the meet

Spaceballs

Last edited by Brue; Jun 18, '14, 1:02 AM.

Comment

• Johnny
        Salty
        • Oct 1, 2003

Those are great pics Brue! Your girls are adorable!

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

...another great example of what the meet is about. Always a pleasure hanging out with ya!

Comment

• RobTMego
            Career Member
            • Mar 15, 2013

Great seeing you again Brue, I always get a kick out of your costumes and your daughters are just to cute and sweet

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

Awesome pics, Brue. And, as a fellow vw enthusiast, great to see the pic of y'all in yer bus. My family had a weekender like that when I was little, and I have many fond memories of the campmobile.

Comment

• Megospidey
                Museum Webslinger
                • Jul 26, 2006

Miss one year and I'm part of the forgotten crowd. Love you too Brue.

Seriously...missed EVERYONE (you too) and really looking forward to next year. Enjoyed your decade of Mego meet memories.

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Derek - I referenced you at the meet several times because I brought may Black Manta custom to display with my Aquaman vs the Great White Shark. (you said you could send me some chips hands for Manta and instead sent chips hands still attached to the body fully dressed in a custom black leotard)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for sharing your memories & photos--the train picture is priceless.

Your daughters did some great customs, too!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• VintageMike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2004

Thanks for the recap, enjoyed reading. Makes me sadder I missed the first two and then had to miss 2008. My experience mirrors yours though int hat I missed out on a LOT the first year I went.

Comment

• batmanmc
                        mego batman collector
                        • Jun 22, 2004

It was great seeing you guys again . Next year I'll have to be batman for sure .

Comment

• Mego Milk
                          Custom Mego Maker
                          • Jun 3, 2007

Aw.
                          Yeah.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎