Clear All
  • Vinny0026
    Year Five!!
    • Jan 26, 2012

How do you re-string a 12" Gi Joe?

Hey kids - Just got a bulletman from Mike - Thanks Mike

Now I'm going to try to re-string him
    any one know how?

I was also thinking about brining him to my brothers auto body shop first to maybe see if he can re-chrome him and his helmet
    or just have him spray him with the spray gun.

either way I will need to know how to put his arms and head on. His legs are fine.
    thanks for any help

Vinny0026
    "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

you can buy a replacement joint kit from Cotswold or if you are a member on the Trenches you can contact Robs68. he makes better kits that are rubber like the originals and much cheaper. it's really not hard to restring them. all you need are the replacement joints, some small screw drivers and crazy glue....oh and a crimping tool for the neck. any questions shoot me a PM, I have rebuilt at least 2 dozen muscle bodies

Comment

• Neutron X
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 22, 2007

Just do me one favor. Do not cut chest apart with knife there is a much better way by putting leverage in shoulder joint.

Comment

• justzeg18
        Career Member
        • May 5, 2003

http://kungfugrip.mysite.com/restrin...e_body_joe.htm
        This is the link to the non-destructive way I've used in the past.
        It was easy to do, non-destructive, and works like a charm.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

This is good to know--I have a Cotswold kit myself but have been afraid to use it.

Vinny, I am thinking of contacting ChromaTech to refinish some of my parts...
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Vinny0026
            Year Five!!
            • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            This is good to know--I have a Cotswold kit myself but have been afraid to use it.

Vinny, I am thinking of contacting ChromaTech to refinish some of my parts...
            please let me know what you find out - I would be interested.

I would like to re chrome both arms and the helmet.
            its just for me and my collection - so I want it to look nice.

I have not talked to my brother yet - he is a bit of a black sheep.
            I'm afraid to bring these there - I might never see them again lol

Comment

• Vinny0026
              Year Five!!
              • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by justzeg18
              http://kungfugrip.mysite.com/restrin...e_body_joe.htm
              This is the link to the non-destructive way I've used in the past.
              It was easy to do, non-destructive, and works like a charm.
              Thanks so much for sharing this!!! awesome.

It seems I'm missing a piece - the neck plug.
              Does anyone know where or how to get one?

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

Check the head and see if neck piece is still inside. You can heat head with hair blow dryer it will get softer. Take a small screw driver and gently put it in neck between post and head. If you can't find a neck piece you can make one out of a washer.
                Here's a link for putting on Action Man head back on Joe head uses saem cone inside.
                http://actionmanhq.co.uk/forum/showt...=5]SIGNALMAN'S FIXING

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Well, it's been a long, expensive haul, but I finally have a beautiful reassembled, re-plated Bulletman!

He's the Mid-Atlantic model: mostly American, but with stylish Palitoy helmet, boots with jets, emblem, & box.

I was nervous restringing the figure, but the Cotswold sets, plastic-weld cement, & rivet-clamp worked perfectly. The clamp was darn expensive but the results look "factory."

I did not need to re-plate the arms, but I used Chrome Tech USA to redo the jets & helmet. The results are excellent, though it takes 4-6 weeks to receive your parts back. The charges are $10-15 per piece + shipping. That said, I would recommend this service to collectors--I'd bet a re-plated Thor helmet would look awesome. He does "gold" plating, too for an additional. charge.

Thanks also to the many members here who advised me--I apologize if I've overlooked you: Chazz, Scoth, drquest, Nostalgiabuff, and NeutronX.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 5, '14, 4:10 PM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• piecemaker
                    There's no need to fear..
                    • Jan 26, 2009

[img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-JPF8KJB/0/M/i-JPF8KJB-M.gif[/img]

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Ach, I know.

Still. I was hoping to provide some worthwhile feedback.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                        SynthoRes Transmigrator
                        • Oct 24, 2007

Scott,

I'm in the same boat. I have my Bulletman in pieces but luckily they are still in VG condition. Some minor scuffs but then I like the used look.

As for Chrome Tech, I reached out to them many years back and seems their prices haven't changed. But $15 for tiny pieces was too much but nowadays it's worth it. Never did go through with it for my Thor helmet and have since opted for keeping as is. Too bad about resins pieces but that's what the spray on is for.

Next time we are up at Whidbey Island and head over to Freeland I'm going to make a pit stop at Cotswald and pick up a kit.

Looking forward to the Bulletman pix.

Comment

• scoth70
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 17, 2008

would love to see some pictures... now hes done

Well, it's been a long, expensive haul, but I finally have a beautiful reassembled, re-plated Bulletman!

He's the Mid-Atlantic model: mostly American, but with stylish Palitoy helmet, boots with jets, emblem, & box.

I was nervous restringing the figure, but the Cotswold sets, plastic-weld cement, & rivet-clamp worked perfectly. The clamp was darn expensive but the results look "factory."

I did not need to re-plate the arms, but I used Chrome Tech USA to redo the jets & helmet. The results are excellent, though it takes 4-6 weeks to receive your parts back. The charges are $10-15 per piece + shipping. That said, I would recommend this service to collectors--I'd bet a re-plated Thor helmet would look awesome. He does "gold" plating, too for an additional. charge.

Thanks also to the many members here who advised me--I apologize if I've overlooked you: Chazz, Scoth, drquest, Nostalgiabuff, and NeutronX.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 29, 2007

Hey bro! Congrats on the refurbish. Please share some pictures whenever you can...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

good for you. it's a little nerve wracking the first time but after that it is all aces. I have rebuilt at least 20 MB Joes

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎