X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

I swear on my boxed CIPSA collection...

I thought that would get your attention. Many of you know me as "that guy who shows up at the Meet for 20 minutes, or shows up in Wheeling but doesn't attend the Meet AT ALL!"! This year was the 4th year I have attended the meet and I have only been in the building two of those years and not for very long! All 4 years I have ridden my motorcycle (and it is a sweet ride, I love that trip. However, it takes quite a lot out of me riding that far). Let's recap.

First year: Got there on Thursday. Made it to the Thursday dinner at Hoss'. Sat with Scott (Random Axe) and a few others and enjoyed the conversation. Friday morning before I get out of the hotel, I get a call and have to leave due to a family emergency.

Second year: Get there Friday evening and set up my table as I got one that year to hand out the cards I had created. I get ZERO hours of sleep that night as someone was walking around ALL FREAKIN NIGHT on the floor above me and the creaking drove me nuts. Now I had developed some health issues that year. The two major problems were Reflux and chronic sinus congestion. Between the toll the ride took out of me and the lack of sleep, I was in pretty bad shape Saturday. I gutted it out till about 11 and decided I had to go take a nap at the hotel or I was going to pass out. Got back to the hotel and it wasn't long before both the reflux and sinuses went in the tank. My stomach was acid and my sinuses closed completely for about 8 hours. I was pretty miserable and, needless to say, didn't make it back to Kruger St.

Third year: Couldn't get Friday off last year due to a coworker taking that week off so I decided to get up early on Saturday and get there in time to spend a few hours before closing bell. Idiot that I am, I overslept and didn't get there till AFTER it was over. I wanted to hang out in the suite and my room was in fact two rooms away from it. I did pop in and look for Scott P, but didn't see him there (found out later he stayed at the Super 8). I was pretty tired from the ride and relaxed from the pool and hot tub so I just went back to my room and crashed.

This year: I made up my mind that this was the year I was going to finally get to spend the whole day at the meet. I have decided (big announcement) to take on the monumental task of publishing a Planet of the Apes Mego and Foreign Mego book. I saw a post by Steve where he stated that he would love to have a display of vintage Mego stuff at one of the meets so I talked to him about bringing my collection to display and also setting up a very small photo area to get photos of my stuff (and anything anybody else wanted to bring) for my book. Mike J has graciously offered to provide me with whatever info he can and photos from his collection, so I am really looking forward to this book. It will not be anywhere near as grand as Ben's book. I plan on publishing mainly for a digital ebook release via Amazon and also be able to digitally print copies on demand to save the monumental printing costs. Anyway, I digress. I was planning on renting a van to bring my stuff and making it a full blown weekend. The best laid plans... My finances took a major hit this year due to circumstances beyond my control. Due to some cruel twists of fate it has become so bad that I fear I am going to lose my house and be forced to move my family into an apartment or small rental house. I'm still not sure what's going to happen, but due to this, I could not afford to rent the van or get a hotel room for a few nights. It was actually a stretch getting the room for the night I was there. I swing wildly between being resigned to my fate to being extremely bitter to being the most melancholy person you have ever met. I thought that the cycle ride and getting to see some of the friends I have made would hopefully cheer me up a bit and it did. However, due to the 8 hour cycle ride and only one night at the hotel, I only spent less than a half hour at the meet. I didn't want to be on the road too late so I got there and was able to say hello to most of the people I wanted to (including meeting a few new friends) I did want to stop in the suite on Friday night but, after the long ride and spending 15 minuted chatting with Ed in the steam shower (it was very awesome to meet you Ed) I was WAY too relaxed and feel asleep almost immediately after eating dinner. I was so wasted that I ran into Brian in the hall as I was getting something to drink to wash down my meds and I didn't even realize that it was him till a few minutes after I went back into my room (although, to be fair to me, the facial hair threw me and he did claim he was a women's size 1 in a thread not too long ago. The person in the hall was at LEAST a size 3. So these things combined to help confuse me) So, another meet, another quick trip and I missed most of the fun. It was probably meant to be that I didn't get to bring my collection for display as Scott's Dida displays were pretty damn awesome and kudos to him for doing so after I backed out.

Anyway (I am hoping to win the prize for longest meet post) I swear on my boxed CIPSA collection that next year I am there for the ENTIRE MEET! I will again offer to Steve to display my collection if he doesn't have something else lined up. My finances will be worked out one way or another next year so 2015 will be the year I finally get to meet everyone and take in all of the festivities. No motorcycle ride either. I am either renting a van or driving my Mini Cooper. The turnpike ride is only 4.5 hours so I will not be so wasted. (Did I win that longest meet post yet?)
    Last edited by megoapesnut; Jun 11, '14, 7:32 AM.
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Wow, and yes you had my attention immediately! :P

In short, take damn good care of yourself. We need that book!

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Holy crap, were you across the hall from me?
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

Seriously disappointed not to meet you! Gee whiz!
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• megoapesnut
          The name says it all!
          • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
          Holy crap, were you across the hall from me?
          Across the hall and down a room. I popped out to get a drink later on Friday night and you were heading to the elevator. It wasn't till I was back on my room that my brain caught up with my eyesight and I realized it was you and I hadn't even said hello.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by megoapesnut
            Across the hall and down a room. I popped out to get a drink later on Friday night and you were heading to the elevator. It wasn't till I was back on my room that my brain caught up with my eyesight and I realized it was you and I hadn't even said hello.
            I thought you were just trying to make out my shirt or something. You looked super familiar to me too but I was in sensory overload at that time.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• RobTMego
              Career Member
              • Mar 15, 2013

Wow, Idid not know you were there, would have liked to have met you, as a fellow apes nut my self . I will be hopeful for next year!!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I'm sorry I missed you, buddy. Saturday was a whirlwind for me it seems
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎