• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Dida Had A Helluva Good Meet

Is it Monday already?

This was my third Mego Meet and the first in about 5 years, and I'm very glad I made the return trip. Flying out from California and being away from my family for 5 days is a really big deal for me but it was definitely worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie and toy-fellowship, and the opportunity to finally do a massive displays of all of my favorite Dida playsets for the audience they were intended for was a true once-in-a-lifetime event. I only wish I had taken more and better pictures (especially of the people--we take so many photos of toys and are akind of camera shy). If you have any great shots of the Dida display with or without people looking at them, let me know.

As with the previous two Meets I spent a fair amount of time assembling (1.5 days) and later disassembling (4 hours!) Dida Displays, but this time there was no hammer pounding to be done. I had prepared the sets ahead of time and they were waiting for me when I arrived. EMCE Hammer and Random Axe and the Krueger staff were so helpful in getting the space arranged with tables and backdrops and then Chad Noelani Gordy spent a lot of time helping me assemble the sets. It took all of Thursday and Friday morning, but after all, I had come all this way to have several uninterrupted days playing with my toys with my buddies, it was a blast.

Chad and I chatted about the Shark project and the pros and cons of obsessively following your custom passions. It was a pleasure to finally meet him, and I was so proud to purchase one of those shark sets. Not only is it a fantastic custom piece and pure Mego replica, but I so admire the dedication and artistry that went into it. His son is truly and artist in his own right, it's inspiring to see the father and son team in action. Good people. Here they are, first to arrive....

Random Axe's custom figures are amazing in person, and the spinner rack is such a nice touch. He's also such a cool, friendly guy and he really did save the day with his calm and helpful volunteer efforts. He and Steve are a dynamite team, it was such a smooth, positive experience thanks to them.

John Farley's figure display never ceases to amaze, and he's a really cool guy as well.

Art Baltazar's "Wall of Enthusiasm" creates a lot of happy faces, how lucky are we to have him in our community? Had a great time in the Mego suite conference room hanging out with him while he worked on customs to his heart's content.

Paul Hulk Clare, it was great to see and chat with you, the Mego logo shirts were awesome. Chris loved his....

Meeting Toyman Chris and his wife was a highlight for me. Our tables were next to each other and we hung out a lot...they are such swell people. Grabbed some Lego mini-figs for my boy, he was thrilled.

Brian Heiler's creations, Musk-A-Tron, the Satin Monster...so awesome I wish I had remembered to buy them (Doh!) There's so much to see and do, you always want to come back later and get something and then get distracted by more awesomeness. Nice to see the boss in person. He presented the Heroes in Action stuff--you know about the mars Attacks and Star Raiders, but we also got to see a non-monstrous JFK....

Ed Samurai Noir is in fact the nicest person I have ever met in my life. He made a cool cartoon for my son. I'm glad he and Martin made the trip down from Canada.

The Ligotti Bros were super cool and helpful to me in filling out some figures for my displays, I always enjoy seeing both of them, I wish I could walk up to their table today, there's like 3 things I need and they have everything.

David Lee and Craig from Castaway/Zica were on hand with an astonishing amount of cool new stuff, the Micronaut figures are simply stunning. Very nice guys as always, David, thanks for the assist with tools, tape, and all the other stuff I borrowed, as well as the interesting conversations, I'm a fan of what you do. I also owe you money!

Dr. Mego is a true friend, wonderful to see him and his beautiful family (actually, seeing the various mego-kids play together was really cool. I think next year I will bring my son). I'm glad he comes every year to hold court, where would we be without him? He hooked me up with a Bruce and Dick to put in the Stately Batpoles, and even took home my Planet of the Apes display!

Austin, my brother from a Mego Mother, the Ambassador of Megos, he brought his amazing Dida Displays and custom figures for the Danger Room and Stark Armory and literally made the Dida showcase shine. Loved seeing him and hanging out.

Paul from Lasermego! So great to finally meet him in person, we've had such a productive working relationship, half of the displays I put up are heavily dependent on his work. Super nice guy with a great kid alongside him. It was awesome seeing the Mego progenies all around. I was pleased to have contributed art to his Toy Hawk in the customs auction. The idea to do all those Bricks was really genius....So many cool and bizarre entries. But this one was pretty....

Trekman Anthony and his family was a pleasure to meet, I took home a number of figures from his table and had some great conversations with him. Thanks, Anthony.

Bronxboy Kevin and his lady were a treat to meet, she was actually a huge fan of the LOST stuff, you know how rare THAT is for me.

Derek "Flynne" was there with a ton of cool stuff from his shop and I really enjoyed having dinner with him on Thursday night. Nice guy! Just don't mess with him in an auction. Wow.

I THOUGHT I was buying this Tiny Titans SDCC exclusive from Derek for my son, but I think it was for me....Aw Yeah...

Bill Wee McFarland was there and I had a super interesting Mego conversation with him in the Mego Suite, glad to know my Solid Box Superman is in good hands.

Trappy had a great setup and lent some Trek figures to my display. We had two Dida Trek sets in the house! Scott Brown who we know from Facebook was awesome to meet. Megoknight brought a vast array of cool customs, and he's a very friendly dude as was Fleshbot ...so many people, I know I will forget. Dan Pearson! Great to meet you....

Not much sleep, questionable food aplenty. I managed to find at least one really good restaurant in Wheeling, (SHOCK!) where we did lunch Thursday afternoon. Avenue Eatery. Grass fed beef, aw yeah.

Leaving was harrowing. After all the packing up we left the Museum and half an hour later I realized I had left my POTA playset box behind. I raced back to find the place locked and could see my box through the window in the lobby. After some cursing I realized I had the curator's cell phone number. I called him and he told me where to find the secret hidden key! So I was in fact the last person to leave Mego Meet and I did turn off the lights.

I was forced by the airline to check the box that carried the GWS set (my other carry on had half of my personal loose Mego figure collection for display). Thanks to a stellar packing job by EMCE Hammer is actually made it! Major thanks to Steve Moore for so much, I really value his friendship. And as a bunk-mate he was awesome, he was never home!

I also want to thank the forum members who couldn't be there but ordered playsets anyway. Knowing most of those playsets had a paid home to fly to from Wheeling made it a lot easier for me to make this trip.

Thanks for playing!
    This profile is no longer active.
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

It was great to finally meet you Scott! The display setup was amazing. The photos don't do them justice as there are so many little details that are amazing to see in person.

By the way, I got a certain throne half designed on the plane ride home!
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

It was a pleasure to meet you Scott. Your display was truly breathtaking.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

You too, Bryan! Another person I was jazzed to hang out with! And thanks for the McDonaldland guys, I am excited to have them.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• VintageMike
          Permanent Member
          • Dec 16, 2004

Though our paths only crossed a few times (so many people there) it was great to see back this year, Scott. Took several shots but this is my personal favorite set. Of of many things I wish I had the room for.

Last edited by VintageMike; Jun 9, '14, 4:14 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by boss
            It was a pleasure to meet you Scott. Your display was truly breathtaking.
            I felt the same way--seeing the playsets in photos doesn't do them justice. The Dida-corridor was terrific & fun.

I've never watched "Lost", but that set was awesome.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• megocrazy
              Museum Trouble Maker
              • Feb 18, 2007

An incredible display to be sure. Tremendous job in getting it all up for Megoheads to enjoy.
              It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
                Type3Toys Has Transformed
                • Oct 5, 2011

Scott's display set up was off the freaking hook! I soooo wish I had room for some of these! My favorite was the Lost set up. I could see multiple uses for that set in my fantasy house!
                View My Customs
                www.type3toys.com
                or check here
                http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• Random Axe
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Apr 16, 2008

I was blown away seeing this stuff up close. I've never seen a Hall of Justice but I cannot imagine it even coming close to the quality that is your Super Friends Dida. Freakin awesome work and vision, Scott.
                  I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Wow, I had no idea you went to Mego Meet, Scott!

Your didas were an awesome additon to the Meet for sure, and yeah, I can imagine the work involved, you Sir, are an ironmam.

I also know how difficult was to leave your family for five days, I give mad props to your wife especially.
                    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

I see three of the four displays I have coming in. I cannot wait to add them to my collection.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Johnny
                        Salty
                        • Oct 1, 2003

Scott, I took a lot of pics of your amazing Dida Displays.
                        I would be happy to forward them to you.

They are incredible works of art.
                        I someday hope to have the space to own and display some of them.

It was great to meet you.

johnnyscott.jpg
                        Last edited by Johnny; Jun 9, '14, 6:05 PM.

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

you Sir, are a gentleman.
                          Such kind words, and elegantly authored.
                          It was a pleasure to have met you and build those Didas together. ;-)
                          I'm super happy the shark survived checked luggage...wow I bet you were nervous!
                          As commonly spoken after a good Meet - c'mon next next year, it can't get here fast enough.

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

Always great to see you Scott. I loved seeing all the Didas like that. Major Kudos.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

It will take some very large rez shots to really capture the high quality - and scale - of the playsets. Not just do they look professionally manufactured, but the sizes are shocking in person. A rough estimate would be 50% more volume than the Mego Enterprise. Truly pro level work.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎