X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Lee
    The Fix-it-up Chappie
    • Jun 10, 2002

MM X ramblings... (Long)

Ramblings From a middle-aged toy nerd… or why MEGO MEET is my second favorite time of the year (c’mon Christmas is still number 1). I made the trip for the 7th time to Wheeling, I missed the first one, Ok so I was skeptical, and I regret it (though I co-sponsored MEGO-CON in NY), I missed another because the wife needed to work then I missed the year our molds were stolen in China. So while I haven’t made them all, every time I have been has been phenomenal. Why? The people… plain and simply it’s you guys…

the KST&TM is cool enough, and Wheeling is charming but without you’s guys it wouldn’t be the same. I have been to countless toy shows and conventions, but there is just something about you people that make this thing special… I feel like Norm from Cheers walking into that musty basement no matter what the temperature is (somewhere between the fires of hell and Hoth give or take a few degrees). It’s like we just pick up where we left off the last time… This year was no different and you guys made me feel pretty good buying my stuff. Seeing the creativity of others always reinvigorates me and this year was nothing short of amazing. The Gordy’s Sharks were crazy, off the charts, pinch me am I dreaming, awesome! Paul Wasson’s laser cut stuff did not disappoint either, he shares the Micro love and I was digging it. Scott’s customs with his unmistakable paint style were nothing short of perfect as per usual. Tony’s Trek and other customs, to include the Duck Dynasty crew, were killer, they were my family’s faves by far. Scott’s Dida displays were so perfect you’d think you were in a ToyFair display room in the 1970’s (Figures Toy Co. just caught up to him with figures fit for his vision).

If that wasn’t enough the people behind all of this are just as nice as they are talented. From Art taking time to sketch for my Niece and Nephew and making customs with Ed and Steven Moore until 2:30.. You sir Complete me! (awe yeah man). My Brother said, that Art is kinda of big deal huh? I said yeah but more than that he’s my friend  . Steve Moore is just the greatest too, and his sick mind works like mine and it’s comforting to know I am not alone in the universe of Sarcasm. Ed didn’t assault me this year nor did I get into a wreck, so the bonds of Asian Brotherhood are still strong! We added Fred so we are quietly taking over. ..

I wanted to also thank everyone for indulging my Micronauts obsession and supporting HENSHIN X, and no one more than Ray Miller. Ray you are a special dude, thanks for the encouragement and guidance and for allowing me the opportunity to continue this cool line with your precious property.

I couldn’t possibly list every special moment from the Meet it was just crazy cool…So with special thanks to Brian Heiler for the MM and Craig for being my partner in crime , I just want to thank everyone for yet another awesome time and heartfelt gratitude to the good Lord for friends like you!

See ye next year!

Dave
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

A sign of our age, if not maturity, that we didn't get up to any Drunken Master assault or Deathrace style vehicular mayhem this year. Although no promises if we do get the band back together again next year.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• noelani72
      27inaleon
      • Jun 25, 2002

sure was great seeing you again and getting to meet Craig for the first time (even though he was there last year and somehow I missed that!?).
      Type-S bodies are the foshizzle and I challenge anyone to debate it...game changer.

Sean told me about the talk you had with him...that was awesome bro, really touching and I can't say thanks enough.

I look forward to the future of zicaway toys!
      How's Art say it...Awe Yeah!

Comment

• David Lee
        The Fix-it-up Chappie
        • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by noelani72
        sure was great seeing you again and getting to meet Craig for the first time (even though he was there last year and somehow I missed that!?).
        Type-S bodies are the foshizzle and I challenge anyone to debate it...game changer.

Sean told me about the talk you had with him...that was awesome bro, really touching and I can't say thanks enough.

I look forward to the future of zicaway toys!
        How's Art say it...Awe Yeah!
        Pshh... it's just true man you both are class act and that's a fact. It's always fun to hang with quality peeps...

Dave

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

Dave, you're a bundle of positive energy and a big part of my reinvigoration this past weekend. I was out of the hobby for a good long while, and people like you who have both quality of character and passion for creativity fuel my own artistic visions, and for that I'm grateful. I got to playing around with the Type-S and it truly is a marvel to use. Now I don't have to worry about the arms breaking off when putting on a tight bodysuit. Big congrats to you and Craig for the inspiration that has changed the hobby.
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

Good to see you Dave. Talking some classic Mid-Soth wrestling with you was a dded bonus this year.

Comment

• RobTMego
              Career Member
              • Mar 15, 2013

Alway fun to see you Dave and I think you ended up with about 1/4 of all my MMX budget!!

Comment

• David Lee
                The Fix-it-up Chappie
                • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Fleshbox
                Alway fun to see you Dave and I think you ended up with about 1/4 of all my MMX budget!!
                Right back atcha! you are a pleaseure to deal with and cool to hangout and talk to... thanks so much for the business!

Dave

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2011

Good for you Dave !!

Hoping to make it to a MM sometime.

Being from Orlando, Florida makes it hard.
                  Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                  :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                  I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                    Custom Mego Maker
                    • Jun 3, 2007

LOVE!!!!

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                      70's Era Pimp
                      • Sep 7, 2011

Great seeing you again David! I regret not picking up some of those amazing S bodies!

Comment

• David Lee
                        The Fix-it-up Chappie
                        • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
                        Great seeing you again David! I regret not picking up some of those amazing S bodies!
                        No sweat man, we got plenty

By the way you sure had some awesome loot again this year... you always do... Glad I got to drool on it.

Dave

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

You're a wizard Dave, I really appreciated all the help you gave me in the kitchen and all the advice on my new project.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• trekman101
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 6, 2009

It's always great seeing you and going through your table.......thanks for all the advice from both you and Craig on my project
                            "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Thanks for your energy, your toys and your table of really cheap stuff that made it possible for my kids to make rocking customs.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎