X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Vincent Price

Beloved character actor, art educator, & collector Vincent Price would have been 103 today. Let's celebrate his talent with a film or two and some reminiscing.

I'll watch Dr. Phibes of course, but TCM is also showing The Song of Bernadette, a great film in its own right & featuring one of Price's best dramatic performances in a key supporting role.

Was there anything he couldn't do with style & humor? I miss him and am so glad we can still enjoy work.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; May 27, '14, 12:36 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

I miss these classic "gentlemen of horror".
    They were unique, and I don't really see anyone replacing them.
    Christopher Lee is the last one, and he's 92 now...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Christopher Lee's Birthday is today also. And Peter Cushing's was yesterday. Amazing that they are all so close.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Didn't Vincent Price write a cookbook as well?

Can anyone recommend a good autobiography?
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

I am listening to ALice Cooper's the Black widow on my mp3 player right now in honor of Mr Price. I will have to watch the ogg and I episode of BATMAN tonight

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            Didn't Vincent Price write a cookbook as well?

Can anyone recommend a good autobiography?
            Two cookbooks I think, the most notable was with his second wife, Mary.

There have been four or so bios. I think the best is the one published in 1999 by his daughter Victoria Price--it's more comprehensive, revealing, & personal; it covers his entire life & career.

Also, "Vincent Price: The Art of Fear" , 2003 by Briton Denis Meikle, is a good, if sometimes glib, illustrated biographic examination of Price's horror output.

The only autobiography (art & film musings, really) that I know of was Price's 1959 "I Like What I know". Price was really considered as much an art educator & connoisseur as an actor when this was published, just as the Poe films started.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; May 27, '14, 3:10 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
              Christopher Lee's Birthday is today also. And Peter Cushing's was yesterday. Amazing that they are all so close.
              Didn't know that, that's great.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 16, 2008

Happy Birthday to all three! As someone else said, Lee is now the last of the true 'gentleman of horror'.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

Loved Price... especially hearing his voice in Thriller
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Thanks, books about making films are my favorite reading material these days.
                    I'll go hunt for the book by Victoria Price!

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Two cookbooks I think, the most notable was with his second wife, Mary.

There have been four or so bios. I think the best is the one published in 1999 by his daughter Victoria Price--it's more comprehensive, revealing, & personal; it covers his entire life & career.

Also, "Vincent Price: The Art of Fear" , 2003 by Briton Denis Meikle, is a good, if sometimes glib, illustrated biographic examination of Price's horror output.

The only autobiography (art & film musings, really) that I know of was Price's 1959 "I Like What I know". Price was really considered as much an art educator & connoisseur as an actor when this was published, just as the Poe films started.

Comment

• thereisnosanctuary
                      • Apr 1, 2014

Still amazes me that we still have a legend like Christopher Lee with us, I'll be truly sad when he goes.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by thereisnosanctuary
                        Still amazes me that we still have a legend like Christopher Lee with us, I'll be truly sad when he goes.
                        He's still making movies, and singing on Heavy Metal CDs.
                        92 seems to be just a number for him....

Comment

• MysteryWho
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2008

I saw Victoria Price at Fan Expo a couple of years ago. She was really interesting and pleasant. However, I didn't buy the book because she said that it only slightly grazed his actual film career and focused mainly on his other interests, such as art and cooking, and his life in general. So bear that in mind when picking it up.
                          Here is Christopher Lee's Christmas message with a shout out to Vincent Price!
                          Sir Christopher wishes you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous and peaceful New Year. He includes comments on 'The Wicker Man', 'The Hobbit' trilogy and t...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I think Vincent Price should have titled his cookbook "To serve man"...

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Vincent Price had a weird snotty accent

I always thought he was British

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎