Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Intellivision and Colecovision retro consoles coming in October!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Just saw that you have to pay $14.99 online to get the other 50 overlays for the Intellivision.

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by jwyblejr
      Video game systems really didn't hit their stride graphic wise until 1982 when Colecovision and the Atari 5200 came out. In defense of Intellivision,they came out in 1979.
      The Intellivision was actually a very power system. While it didnt have the graphics it was the first 16-bit system on the market. If it had been given the computer add-on like Mattel originally intended it would have been an amazing computer for its time. Also keep in mind that programming in the early '80s wasnt nearly as good as it is now. Theres much better tools for making games. Theres been some good homebrews made on all 3 over the last ten years but I dont believe the Intellivision or Colecovisions full potential has been reached. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision

The 2600 now has an really good port of Donkey Kong

Comment

• Figuremod73
        That 80's guy
        • Jul 27, 2011

I still think the Atari 5200 was the biggest mistake the company made. It was a rush job to compete with the colecovision and had alot of problems.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

The Intellivision was indeed a pretty powerful system for its time.
          Talented programmers could get a lot out of that console.
          Many of the games developed by third parties just didn't do the system justice.
          But the internal programmers at Mattel Electronics were really producing some truly great games for the Master Component by the time of the great video game industry crash.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Figuremod73
            That 80's guy
            • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            The Intellivision was indeed a pretty powerful system for its time.
            Talented programmers could get a lot out of that console.
            Many of the games developed by third parties just didn't do the system justice.
            But the internal programmers at Mattel Electronics were really producing some truly great games for the Master Component by the time of the great video game industry crash.
            Parker Bros. did o.k. with Qbert and Frogger, but Popeye was pretty bad. The in house games Night Stalker and Spacehawk are my favs. Their 2 player sports games are still awesome to play with somebody. A really good baseball game on the INTL.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

The 2600 could do better graphics than often given credit for. I feel the main problems were the programers were hindered by having to use very tiny rom sizes and the development of the games were very rushed. The difference between the rushed abysmal 4KB Pac-Man to the later Ms. Pac-Man is night and day.

I liked the 5200. Great graphics but terrible and fragile controllers.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

Wish the videogame crash never happened. Your right about ROM sizes. I'm not sure which one was the first but CBS Electronics and Activision both were putting out larger games just when Atari was starting to have financial trouble. Tunnel Runner and Pitfall 2 are both advanced carts. I'm really suprised the Supercharger add-on didnt catch on that allowed games on tape to play on a 2600.

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                  I'm really suprised the Supercharger add-on didnt catch on that allowed games on tape to play on a 2600.
                  I still have my Supercharger, lots of great games!
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                    Parker Bros. did o.k. with Qbert and Frogger, but Popeye was pretty bad. The in house games Night Stalker and Spacehawk are my favs. Their 2 player sports games are still awesome to play with somebody. A really good baseball game on the INTL.
                    I love Night Stalker, too. That's one of my all time favourites. Along with the first Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game.

The 2 player war games like Sea Battle and Armor Battle were always great fun, too.

Loved the space games. Space Battle and Space Spartans are ones I still play a lot.

And the Intellivision version of Burger Time is awesome.

So many great games.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                      And the Intellivision version of Burger Time is awesome.
                      Totally! That is a terrific version of Burger Time. Pac-Man for the Intellivision is also fantastic. Even has the intermissions.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

I liked Atari's Real Sports series they put out near the end of the 2600's run.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

Well, my Colecovision Flashback stopped working yesterday after just a little over a week of play. It just shows color on the screen now and wont work no matter what I do. Not sure what to think of these systems now.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

My Intellivision one is still going.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                              That 80's guy
                              • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                              My Intellivision one is still going.
                              As a precaution start keeping it unplugged when not in use. Maybe thats where I went wrong.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                                HULK SMASH!
                                • Apr 3, 2010

There's now a Kickstarter campaign to produce "updated" versions of 3 classic Intellivision games (Astrosmash, Shark! Shark! and Night Stalker) for PC & Mac. Can't beat the originals, but the revamped versions actually look pretty cool.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; May 29, '15, 6:58 AM.
                                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎