Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

The episode went by so quickly! The Caliban story seemed like it could have been a shown on it' own, and I enjoyed it but I would have liked the 1st son to be more menacing in appearance. Outside of the first episode monster, I think none of the threats are as intense as Sir Malcolm(Dalton). I would like to see Simon Beale (Ferdinand Lyle the translator) reappear at some point, as I really liked that character. He would make a perfect Abel in a DC Comics Cain and Abel movie or show. Alun Armstrong was brilliant as the kind actor that befriends Caliban.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
      Creature Of The Night
      • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by monitor_ep
      I love the line:

from Victor: "I could never love you" to Caliban.
      "I do not seek your love Demon!"

I thought this was a classic line: "You seek to threaten me with death. If you seek to threaten me...threaten me with life".

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
      The episode went by so quickly! The Caliban story seemed like it could have been a shown on it' own, and I enjoyed it but I would have liked the 1st son to be more menacing in appearance. Outside of the first episode monster, I think none of the threats are as intense as Sir Malcolm(Dalton). I would like to see Simon Beale (Ferdinand Lyle the translator) reappear at some point, as I really liked that character. He would make a perfect Abel in a DC Comics Cain and Abel movie or show. Alun Armstrong was brilliant as the kind actor that befriends Caliban.
      Lyle is great, hope to see more him too. Armstrong's role (Brand, I think) reminds me of an old world Maurice Evans.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

I wasn't exactly wowed by episode four, but did enjoy it nevertheless. A bit less so with episode five, which seemed a bit drawn out considering the length of the season. Is it just me, or does Ms. Ives' nature seem a bit muddled and disfused?

I found Episode six to be right on par with one & two...glad to hear that it's been renewed for a second season!

(Spoiler Alert!)......

Van Helsing's abrupt demise certainly caught me off guard. Anyone see that coming so soon?

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Well Dorian has another "notch" on his belt from another cast member. For those that are not counting that make:

Dorian & Brona Croft

Dorian & Ethan Chandler

Dorian & Vanessa Ives

Why do I see the next one to be Dr. Frankenstein
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

SPOILERS

I really enjoyed Penny Dreadful. I saw the first episode in a preview and finally caught up with the full series on DVD from Netflix. The creator/writer really did a nice job of tapping into a ton of influences and really treating them with respect.

If you like your vampires evil, this is a series for you. The vampires are inspired by Nosferatu and one of the story arc follows Stoker's Dracula novel fairly closely. There's a demon posession plot that worked very well, to me, as well as a Frankenstein arc. It first introduces a the doctor's second creation, which loosely correlates to Karloff's monster, but he is quickly dispatched by the doctor's first creation, which is more in line with Shelly's original in her novel, in a fairly gruesome way. I didn't care for the look of the first creature, Caliban, who resembled a chubby emo goth type, but then it stuck me in the final episode his look was based on Cesare from the silent version of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari."

The movie plays with Dorian Gray and insinuates Jack the Ripper and also has Wolfman/werewolf character.

The payoff for the Dracula-like plays out as a reverse version of the climax of the John Ford/John Wayne classic, "The Searchers."

Though the film somewhat honors classic horror films, the show isn't for kids. A good bit of gore, sexual content, nudity and disturbing scenes. And, really the themes are mature. I'm not sure teens would relate to the storylines.

My favorite episode was the fourth of the fifth, which was a flashback to what set the two main characters Eva Green and Timothy Dalton on their course.

Not exactly sure where the series will go in the future but it appears the vampires date back to early Egypt, which opens the door for the Mummy at some point and the final episode pointed to more with the werewolf and a bride for the dr. Frankenstein's first creation which could precipitate a Frankenstein's monster-Wolfman fued.

The show is well written and looks great. I won't guarantee you'll like it, but there is a lot in it for fans of horror literature and films.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎