• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

Penny Dreadful ***WITH SPOILERS***

Warning…Spoilers Ahead...Warning!

Just watched the second episode, and have committed myself to watching the full season (which unfortunately is only 8 episodes in length).

So far, I like it…I REALLY like it.

It has much in common with Dark Shadows in that it is founded upon a mish-mash of well-known historical novels & folklore of the genre.
    Like DS, liberties are taken and the original characters are little more than a spring board for fresh interpretation and direction. Unlike Dark Shadows, this show has a budget, a really BIG budget.

I feel I must also add that this is on Showtime, therefore this show is adult-oriented and should not be watched with young ones around.

That said, this show looks promising:

• Supernatural elements…check.
    • Rich characters…check.
    • Compelling storylines…check.
    • Intrigue & mystery…check.
    • Eloborate sets…check.
    • Period costumes…check.
    • Atmosphere…check. (Thunderstorms…check).
    • Seances…check.
    • Demon possession...check.
    • Cliffhangers...check.

I did not care for Eva Green’s portrayal of Angelique in Burton's movie, in fact I resented her role in the film almost as much as I did Depp’s. That said…she absolutely kills in her new role as the reserved Miss Vanessa Ives (with a mysterious wickedness residing within).

Timothy Dalton is also at the top of his game here as Sir Malcolm Murray (IMO, of course). Clearly this character has a dark past…just exactly how dark is it? Staying tuned.

Hartnett’s Chandler seems to suffer from some sort of curse. Werewolf? Personality split? Victim of circumstance? Can’t wait to find out.

Dorian Gray…is just downright disturbing...(Spider-Man, No More!)

Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Harry Treadaway) is the most interesting character so far. At least I think so. He seems to be the most layered individual, with many surprises. (In the first episode, when he meets with Murray at the Club I couldn't help but think, "Damn, he'd make a great Barnabas Collins". He has the look, the vocabulary, and the depth of character.) When he returns home, I thought his reaction was odd when he noticed the slab was vacant. I also thought it strange the overall nature of his relationship with "Proteus". That is, until the end of episode two, when all of the cards fell into place. If at first you don’t succeed…

Anyone else watching? If so, what are your thoughts on what we've seen so far? What are your predictions?
  • ShadowAvenger
    Career Member
    • May 14, 2007

I'm a fan of the show even though I didn't like the fate of Proteus (I actually jumped at the end of episode two). Since there are only eight episodes this season, the pacing is very quick at times. I can't wait for the next episode.
    Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

To me this is how LOEG should have been. Sir Malcolm Murray might as well be Allan Quatermain: a hunter from Africa with a deep secret. Instead of having Mina Murray as the lead like LOEG, she is the child turned Vampire that Malcolm is trying to save.

Dr. Victor Frankenstein, I got the feeling this version of Victor may just have more "feelings" for his creations that the Father and Son relationships. I could be wrong so do not get judgemental.

Dorian Gray is playing it free with who he beds. Since he is immune to illness he is just getting his kicks. That is all we know of him so far.

Vanessa Ives is the mysterious one. She can tap into the spiritual afterlife and can see futures. What more is going to be fun story.

Billie Piper as Brona Croft, an Irish immigrant seeking to escape her dark past. All we know so far is she does not have that long to live.

Josh Hartnett as Ethan Chandler, a charming, brash, daring man of action who is unafraid of violence and more complicated than he likes to admit. I hope is just not another gun shooting character they need for action.

With only 8 episodes you cannot expect to get that much details about the cast so it will be interesting to see what happens in the remaining 6 episodes.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

Being here over the pond, I downloaded the first two, and cant figure out when this is actually airing, whens the third episode?

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

They air on sunday night. The third episode will air on the 25th.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

This sentence is meant to protect people from spoilers using the "what's new" feed as it sometimes forces you to read things you don't want. Pimento Loaf.

I too, believed that Victor and Proteus were going to have a sexual relationship. It's a great misdirection on the part of the show runners, so much so that i ignored all the clues that somebody is collecting female body parts.

This definitely is a horror based LXG, I wish that both that and the Watchmen could have been handled in a serialized form like this.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

Do you have to subscribe to Showtime to watch this, or is there some sort of download/streaming version? I njoyed the first ep, but we do not subscribe to any cable or program services.

Comment

• alex
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 15, 2009

Maybe I shouldnt be doing this here, but best place to go is "thepiratebay"

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                  Creature Of The Night
                  • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
                  ...so much so that i ignored all the clues that somebody is collecting female body parts.
                  I didn't pick up on that either...gonna have to watch again.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                    I didn't pick up on that either...gonna have to watch again.

The police mention it but even though I caught it, I just did nothing with it. As a fan of the original novel, I should have figured that out. Well played Penny Dreadful.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                      Creature Of The Night
                      • May 14, 2011

I've heard other comparisons to LOEG.

I, for one, am not sure where this show is headed. While there are similarities and certain nods, I'm hoping this won't be a carbon copy of anything we've seen before.

So far we have a team of two individuals who have a common goal. They've recruited a third party to further their own means and having done such, they have successfully taken down a nest of vampires but have yet to meet their personal goal. Along the way, they have garnered the consultations of other parties, again for their own purpose. Whether this will turn into a larger party serving a higher establishment remains to be seen.

In DS, after the 1795 story line, the two & three party team up is an ongoing theme throughout the series. Usually the goal is self-serving, and the members of the team vary dependent upon the rivaling evil that is to be defeated. It wasn't unusual to have a group of unlikely bedfellows (for example: Barnabas, Quentin & Angelique) stand together in order to take down a shared threat. Once accomplished, it was back to business as usual.

I'm hoping for something that continues to touch on the familiar, but has a direction and life of its own.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                        Creature Of The Night
                        • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                        ...Dr. Victor Frankenstein, I got the feeling this version of Victor may just have more "feelings" for his creations that the Father and Son relationships. I could be wrong so do not get judgemental.
                        I had that feeling too, and I thought initially it was reciprocated until we learn that Proteus had a wife and then we see that he is also obviously attracted to Brona Croft.

I thought maybe Victor's reaction (when Proteus is flirting with Miss Croft) was jealousy. After watching it again, it looks more like he is completely alarmed that his creation may lose control and harm the woman. Once it's clear that Proteus can be led away without incident, Victor seems relieved and satisfied, not jealous.

For me, Victor's sexuality at this point is still ambiguous. It wouldn't surprise me if we never actually see him pursue a sexual interest at all. I hope to be surprised.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

^ Just wanted to add:

In "Séance", Victor calls on Murray & Ives. Murray announces the doctor's arrival to Vanessa and instructs her to unbutton her neckline. She does, and Victor definitely notices but quickly darts his eyes away in a respectful manner.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Episode 3 down...

A bit long on the backstory of "Caliban", but still found it to be another really strong episode.

Seems the "league" is officially committed to the Murray/Ives crusade. Anyone else find Chandler's objections a bit strong? Can't help thinking it's a misplaced projection from some past sin coming to the surface.

...no one questioned him about his affinity with wolves...loved that.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

I love the line:

from Victor: "I could never love you" to Caliban.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎