Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

Cloverfield is light years ahead of this one as far as story telling, creativity, and pacing is concerned. Godzilla fans don't want to hear it because it's technically not Godzilla, but Cloverfield is the best Godzilla movie ever.
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by spacecaps
      Cloverfield is light years ahead of this one as far as story telling, creativity, and pacing is concerned. Godzilla fans don't want to hear it because it's technically not Godzilla, but Cloverfield is the best Godzilla movie ever.
      No, it just shows you don't know what makes a kaiju film different from a monster movie. There's a reason Kaiju Eiga has survived for decades while the Atomic Monster movies of the same time didn't make it out of the fifties as a sustainable genre, and now only sporadically surface as like Cloverfield.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Cloverfield the best Godzilla movie ever?

Please, that overgrown squid was laughable, hated that "done-that-before" annoying hand-held camera shaking shooting (so Blair Witch Project cliche), and every single inept actor in that flick was obnoxious as shiat, lol.

Just saw Godzilla today, and it was friggin' awesome.

That's all I'm saying...not remotely interested in discussing, or trying to convince the haters otherwise, only my own opinion counts to me, and I enjoyed it, lol.
        Last edited by Hector; May 20, '14, 8:47 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

SPOILERS!!!!!!

I liked it, but as most say here, "too much human drama, not enough Kaiju combat".
          It's a slow movie, and it takes forever to see Big G kick butt. Every time a fight seems imminent, they cut to "human drama".
          The creatures remind me of a mix of Gyaos and Legion from Gamera, but I did like them. It's hard to come up with an exciting new monster concept these days (btw, hated Cloverfield and everything in it).
          I loved all the nods to Classic G, it's done very respectfully.
          I had thought Godzilla would look big and clumsy (too beefy), but I liked it a lot! He looks big and bad and ready for action.
          He does tire easily, though. I mean, he fights the creatures and just collapses afterwards. Come on, Big G can take more than that! He hardly broke a sweat...

It all seems like a prelude to the real Godzilla movie, where hopefully we'll see a big monster fight, in broad daylight, and if possible all through the movie.
          Make it so!
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
            Cloverfield the best Godzilla movie ever?

Please, that overgrown squid was laughable, hated that "done-that-before" annoying hand-held camera shaking shooting (so Blair Witch Project cliche), and every single inept actor in that flick was obnoxious as shiat, lol.
            Agreed, agreed and agreed!
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Quadruple agreed!

sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

SPOILER!

They should put a commercial at the end.

You see Godzilla, floored on his belly in the ruined city.
                Then the voice-over comes on:
                "Tired? No energy? After swimming 5,000 miles and fighting Kaiju for hours, you need Monster Force, the new energy drink! Before you know it, you'll be kicking monster butt all night long!"

"Bad case of monster breath? Does your partner's head fall off when you breathe on her? Kaiju Minty Fresh will take care of all that and more!"

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                  Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                  • Jan 22, 2008

I really liked parts, but thought it was too slow and had poor characters (aside from Brian Cranstons character that lasted all of 1/2 hour). If I could take what I liked from Cloverfield, Pacific Rim and the new Godzilla, I think I'd have a perfect movie.

Comment

• tay666
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by drquest
                    Why did Godzilla wait so long to shoot his Atomic breath?
                    Well, it seemed to me that using the breath, took quite a bit out of him. Hence the reason he collapsed after the fight was over. I assume it uses up the energy that actually keeps him moving and alive. (he does feed off radiation, so using radioactive breath attacks has to burn up some of his energy stores.)

Why were they hauling nuclear bombs via train when they had helicopters that could carry them?
                    Because the choppers would drop from the skies when the MUTOs used their EMP bursts. Then they would have been screwed.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by tay666
                      Well, it seemed to me that using the breath, took quite a bit out of him. Hence the reason he collapsed after the fight was over. I assume it uses up the energy that actually keeps him moving and alive. (he does feed off radiation, so using radioactive breath attacks has to burn up some of his energy stores.)
                      Hey, that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why he collapsed so quickly.

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

Just saw this today and I really liked it. Sure there were some plodding human moments, but I knew I was going to get sucked in by the opening sequence with the top secret 50's footage montage. My wife liked it as well, so that's a plus. Great designs and effects. I was thoroughly entertained despite some gaping plotholes. I prefer not to linger on those but rather praise the overall product, which was very good.
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Godzilla
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 3, 2002

Holy Crap! I need that Cup!
                            Mortui Vivos Docent
                            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Apparently, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah may appear in the sequel (also to be directed by Gareth Edwards).

Gareth Edwards will direct GODZILLA 2 after he finishes his STAR WARS spinoff. Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidora are confirmed to appear.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎