Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

The human portion of the film definitely took a nosedive once Cranston was gone.

I think the intent was indeed to make a 60's style Godzilla romp, while obviously having a bit more realism to the effect. I think they could have done a bit more fighting, but still fairly solid overall.

Of course, I completely agree that the trailers/commercials are selling another movie entirely. The tone and such from the trailers are not at all how the movie itself are carried out. So I suspect a lot of people went in expecting one thing and came out of it having seen another. If you're a big Godzilla fan, that might be okay, but I think others will feel differently.

Originally posted by Confessional
    I'm off to see it tomorrow, can anyone recommend 3D vs. standard viewing?
    There's nothing 3D about the 3D version. Save the money.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
      • Jan 22, 2008

I just want to see some really cool and really realistic battles between giant monsters that's not corny or kitschy. Preferably without a bazillion edits, and not at night time, and not in the rain.

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by ODBJBG
        The human portion of the film definitely took a nosedive once Cranston was gone.

I completely agree that the trailers/commercials are selling another movie entirely. The tone and such from the trailers are not at all how the movie itself are carried out. So I suspect a lot of people went in expecting one thing and came out of it having seen another. If you're a big Godzilla fan, that might be okay, but I think others will feel differently.
        Well said. How this movie was packaged vs the final product were too totally different things. Not being a Godzilla fan, the one draw for me to this movie was Cranston and when he was gone, the movie came off the rails.
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• spacecaps
          Second Mouse
          • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
          I just want to see some really cool and really realistic battles between giant monsters that's not corny or kitschy. Preferably without a bazillion edits, and not at night time, and not in the rain.
          How do you feel about monsters fighting in giant clouds of dust?
          "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

I dug it, went in there with no expectations and enjoyed it. I don't look for flaws in the movie. Human driven story is part of the Kaiju story telling.
            The Monsters were always the fillers to the story. Late 60's early 70's Godzilla movies had no plot and story and lead to just being Monster driven, Godzilla vs Megalon anyone?

Caught some of the easter eggs with Mothra and I dug that the two Muto's looked like modern Gyaos creatures....Godzilla was bad *** when he was on screen and the audience roared when he started kicking azz.....I dug it and can't wait for sequels.....
            Last edited by kingdom warrior; May 17, '14, 8:39 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Megalon had Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy!!
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Megalon had Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy!!
                LOL!!!

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

Saw the movie tonight, loved it.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• superherocrazy
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jun 12, 2007

I took my 11 year daughter with me and we both loved the film. It reminded me of the old Godzilla I grew up with. I know some may think it was slow paced and needed more Godzilla shots but if you were entertained then it was money well spent. I never take stock in what other people say about a film or I would never go to the movies. Everyone has an opinion, right or wrong, and you have to decide for yourself. So go see the film and see what you think. I know me and my daughter are looking forward to the sequel.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Liked it just enough. The human story is a bit weak, but they stayed true to the Godzilla story without being cheesy.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Big G's doing well, and the sequel has been confirmed.

From Deadline.com:

EXCLUSIVE: After opening to $103M internationally — the biggest opening of 2014 so far — and grossing $93M domestic stateside this weekend, it should come as no surprise that Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.‘ are already developing a sequel to the monster hit. It was confirmed to Deadline this morning that a Godzilla sequel is underway. The beast is currently stomping across international markets to take No. 1 spots in most territories.

Related: BOX OFFICE: ‘Godzilla’ Monster Hit at $93M+

The picture was directed by Gareth Edwards, a young British director who grew up on Star Wars and Steven Spielberg films. Godzilla has been made into features before over its 60-year history. The first being in 1954 when the Toho character appeared to be nothing more than a man in a rubber suit, but still fascinated both Japanese and American audiences. It was also made into a film in 1998 by Dean Devlin and director Roland Emmerich but had no where near the opening of this current one. In 1998, the film which starred Matthew Broderick, opened to $44M and went onto gross $136.3M. Worldwide, it grossed $379M. This one could double that.

Edwards has talked about what he would do with a sequel, saying he would use the same kind of restraint that he did for this one. He learned well from watching Spielberg films as the monster was only talked about for the first part of this film. And, of course, there were those reaction shots that added to the suspense. Edwards was given the chance by Legendary’s Thomas Tull who put faith in him to pull this off, having previously done Monsters which only grossed $2.6M in total. Tull has played coy in the media on the subject of a sequel, waiting for Godzilla‘s monster opening to confirm sequel plans. As Dan Fellman (WBros. head of domestic distribution) pointed out, they made more in one night (probably one late night run at 7 PM) than Edwards’ movie did in its entire run. Legendary’s Jon Jashni developed this along with Brian Rogers and Mary Parent. Max Borenstein scripted from a story by David Callaham. Alex Garcia at Legendary was instrumental in the development of this film working, closely with both the director and writer.

It should be noted that there is an ongoing legal dispute over payments/credit on Godzilla winding its way through the courts with filmmakers Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Doug Davison who brought the property to Legendary.

The marketing on this film was excellent, with Legendary Pictures in-house team of Emily Castel, Barnaby Legg, Matthew Marolda and Peter Stone working closely with Warner Bros. and those folks who cut the trailer and did the key art and outdoor, namely vendors Trailer Park and Ignition. The promotional spots — really thought the Fiat one was great — were overseen by Gene Garlock who worked with all the Legendary team as well. Kudos all around.

Godzilla surprised everyone right out of the gate in late nights Thursday with a $9.3M haul and continued to rake in the bucks through the weekend. It is the highest IMAX opener so far this year with $14.1M (or 15%) of the domestic gross and IMAX screens brought in 51% of the international gross.

So everyone wants to know: Will Mothra be in the sequel?
                        EXCLUSIVE: After opening to $103M internationally — the biggest opening of 2014 so far — and grossing $93M domestic stateside this weekend, it should come as no surprise that Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.‘ are already developing a sequel to the monster hit. It was confirmed to Deadline this morning that a Godzilla sequel is […]
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Godzilla
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 3, 2002

I enjoyed it well enough. I was with it until Cranston died and then the human story seemed very plodding to me. The MUTOs were great, but Godzilla was barely a guest star in his own movie.

Luckily there was nothing embarrassing about it. It's a decent film, but as a fan I was hoping for more.
                          Mortui Vivos Docent
                          The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                            Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                            • Jan 22, 2008

How does it compare to other recent monster movies such as the Host, Cloverfield, Pacific Rim?

Comment

• madmarva
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jul 7, 2007

I liked the movie. Great special effects. But it follows such a direct outline of the old Godzilla films that it doesn't offer much new other than the upgraded special effects. But that's kinda what there is to expect from a remake.

I've not seen Host, but I liked Cloverfield and Pacific Rim better, but I'm not a huge Godzilla fan to begin with.

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

I saw it Saturday night with my 15 year old daughter and her friend. I liked it ok, was a little disappointed in it I guess. The human stuff got in the way of what I really wanted to see. It was also annoying that the first half of the movie was pretty absent of monsters. I enjoyed Bryan Cranston a lot, but he left way too early in the movie and left such a hole that the writers I guess had to keep throwing his son and daughter in law in every few minutes if the audiences wanted to see them or not.

Why did Godzilla wait so long to shoot his Atomic breath? Why was his head so small compared to his body? Why were they hauling nuclear bombs via train when they had helicopters that could carry them? Why were the monster's so attracted to such a small amount of radiation from the Atomic Bombs that were shielded to not allow radiation to leak?

I could go on, but I feel it could have been a lot better.
                                Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡