Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DST did 1/4 Star Wars cloth costumed figures so why not Mego 8" Star Wars figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

DST did 1/4 Star Wars cloth costumed figures so why not Mego 8" Star Wars figures?

Remember the Diamond Select Toys 1/4 scale Star Wars cloth costumed figures from a few years ago? If DST can option 1/4 scale for Star Wars why not Mego 8" scale? In 2005 Hasbro gave Sideshow the 1/6 Star Wars figures license, so if Hasbro will not make Star Wars Megos would Disney license the 8" scale to DST?
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

My understanding is Hasbro is the master toy license for SW action figures up to a certain scale, I think 12 inches. They have sublicensed the brand to other companies like Sideshow and Gentle Giant to do high end figures in price points they are not interested in. So, I'm guessing they would see 8 inch figures in the $24.99 range to be a scale and price conflict with the $19.99 6 inch Black Series.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

Dead on. The licensing is fairly specific. The 8 inch license DST is doing now only allows a single character including different uniform variations that exist and alter egos, using only one body, at a set minimum price point. They've broken it down to so many variants. Bobbleheads is one license, Muggs is another, 3" non articulated, 5" molded with articulation, building block figures (lego or mega), it's ridiculous. It does result in a ton of product though. The Muggs was ingenious. Develop your own generic body that is used throught the line and you basically develop your own licensing category.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• bgiles73
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 14, 2010

DST could always do these the same way they are doing the Marvel characters. Then they would be well above the 6" Black Series price point. 1 body + 3 different heads and costumes.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by bgiles73
          DST could always do these the same way they are doing the Marvel characters. Then they would be well above the 6" Black Series price point. 1 body + 3 different heads and costumes.
          Unless you only want figures of Han and Luke, that's really not going to work for SW. High demand popular characters like Chewie, R2, Darth Vader, C3PO, Boba Fett, etc. don't work with the one body 3 outfits style. You also still have the possible issue of a scale conflict with the black series.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ovenmitt
            Persistent Member
            • May 26, 2009

DST was planning 1/4 Marvel cloth costumed figures without voice chips like 1/4 Star Wars which would have made Marvel cheaper. Deadpool was to be 1st Marvel and I believe Captain America was shown at SDCC. 1/4 Marvel never happened probably because 1/4 Star Wars sales weren't great. Funny now DST and EMCE are doing Mego Marvel!

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

DST could do quarter scale SW figures because Hasbro doesn't have the license for that scale. Same with Jakks Jumbo 32 inch Vader. 8 inch scale falls under Hasbro's license.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                Persistent Member
                • May 26, 2009

I have all 9 DST 1/4 Star Wars figures not bad except pipe cleaner bodies. They were $80 I got discounted for $64. Could have done without voice chip. Sadly Darth Vader, Clonetrooper, and ANH Luke were never released, but I now have Jakks 31" versions except Luke!

Still want Star Wars Megos!

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                  Still want Star Wars Megos!
                  If done right, Mego scale SW figures could be very cool.

If I had it my way, for a retro look, I'd make them look like the 12 inch Kenner figures shrunk down to 8 inch Mego scale. With more articulated Mego style bodies for Han, Luke, Obi Wan and Leia but still with shrunk down Kenner heads and outfits. The rest, Darth, Chewie, Boba, R2, etc., straight Kenner shrinks. Totally not gonna happen. But I can dream.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

I wouldn't want shrinks of Kenner Vader, Chewie or Fett. Those were basically blow ups of the 3 3/4 style figures. I'd want straight Mego style, done how Mego might have done them if they didn't pass the license.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎