Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why could't FTC make the Great White Shark?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Well, we fans could do that already with an Animal Planet or Safari Ltd. shark. I think the charm of the GWS (aside from rarity) is the Mego "cheesiness" and the somewhat bizarre action feature.

Adding Aqualad to a boxed set is a neat idea.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• noelani72
      27inaleon
      • Jun 25, 2002

Actually, Mego was banking on the success of jaws when they made the shark, but it was a bust. Did not sell well and most went to discount racks.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

I never saw one as a kid, except in the ads in comic books.

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

I still think Storm the seahorse would be a better choice. We could always use the shark for Batman. After all, the accessory set has those Bat sprays!
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by HardyGirl
            I still think Storm the seahorse would be a better choice. We could always use the shark for Batman. After all, the accessory set has those Bat sprays!
            Yes I agree I'd love For Aquaman to have a seahorse and Tusky the walrus....lol I have a soft spot for the Filmation Aquaman King of the seven seas (in my Ted Knight voice) lol

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by noelani72
              Actually, Mego was banking on the success of jaws when they made the shark, but it was a bust. Did not sell well and most went to discount racks.
              Exactly. I think FTC has had very little success with pushing their existing play sets like the Mad Monsters. So I can understand their weariness to venture into more obscure pieces. I don't even think they're going to venture into a Batcave or Batmobile. So if those are getting skipped the Great White is definitely off the table. I think their main push right now is getting as many characters out as they can while that license lasts. Hopefully it's successful enough, they can renew the license when the time comes. Then you might see some of those secondary products because FTC will have a strong sales history that demonstrates it's worth the investment.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                Yes I agree I'd love For Aquaman to have a seahorse and Tusky the walrus....lol I have a soft spot for the Filmation Aquaman King of the seven seas (in my Ted Knight voice) lol
                Me too! I absolutely LOVE that cartoon. Aquaman commanded respect back then! I also love the beautifully colorful underwater backgrounds. I think they're some of the best Filmation ever did.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  Me too! I absolutely LOVE that cartoon. Aquaman commanded respect back then! I also love the beautifully colorful underwater backgrounds. I think they're some of the best Filmation ever did.
                  He also had a great commanding voice, I still to this day when i read Aquaman, that's the voice I hear in my head......and his theme song is freaking awesome!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Yep, I love that cartoon as well. Marvin Miller will always be the voice of Aquaman to me. The Mattel RAH of Aquaman had that Filmation feel to it. And let's get Imp for Aqualad too.

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 13, 2009

Figures Toy Company is bringing us a replica of one of the most sought-after Mego items EVER!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Yowza--I'd like to see more info on this.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                          • Feb 27, 2014

Good catch. IMO the packaging would have to be identical to the original in order to spark enough interest given what will likely be a price point north of $50.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

If this is real then this is just awesome!!!
                            Never really cared for the shark to go with aquaman(blasphemy I know)
                            Mainly due to the possibility of ever obtaining one in box but now that 66 bats is on the scene with repellent a shark is a must have figure for me!
                            Aquaman as well I guess...lol
                            I be willing to bet this sells out fast.
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 11, 2014

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                                • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by mickeymoosemego
                                When I saw this posted my first thought was I wish Mickey was still here to have given us a heads up on stuff like this.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎