Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just for fun, what Toy chest di you have as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

A large cardboard box for me, too.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• torgospizza
      Theocrat of Pan Tang
      • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
      I had a wood toy box with cowboys on the outside, it had been my older brothers, passed to me and I never got rid of it, or my toys. now it is my sons and still in his room, although he is past toys now and uses it for blankets
      I had one like that, too. IIRC, the cowboys were painted red and it had ropes for handles. Keep in mind, I haven't seen it in almost 40 years, so my memory's a bit rusty. That's cool you still have it.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 12, 2004

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

My toy chest actually doubled as furniture. It was meant to be sat on but the seat part lifted up to put stuff inside. It matched my furniture in my room, which was a heavy oak nautical styled wood. I still have those pieces to this day and use them.
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I had a huge old buffet in my room that had toys on top, underneath, and inside.

My younger cousin had a MOTU toy chest. I was insanely jealous!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 1, 2005

I didn't have a store bought toybox, my father built one for me. It had a large box bottom and several shelves attached to the top. I don't think I truly appreciated it as much as I should've at the time. It was rather large (I had a lot of stuff) and pretty impressive now that I think back on it. He didn't paint it, I think he just stained the wood. He was probably less than happy when one day I took a box of crayons and drew a bunch of characters on the front of it when I was five years old, the day after I saw the NBC "Legends Of The Superheroes" special on tv. Though I haven't seen that toybox in 30 years, I can still remember the hilarious drawings of Hawkman and others that I came up with, lol. Sadly my parents were quite deficient in the photo taking department so I don't have any pics of this stuff to look at (and hardly any pics of my childhood in general *sigh*).

I remember one of my best friends having that green frog toybox, though. That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread.

Comment

• kerowack
                Career Member
                • Feb 27, 2008

Huge plastic soccer ball.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

When I was married, I used to babysit quite a bit, and my uncle gave me a surplus of stuffed animals from his friend who had a toy store that closed. I had to keep those things in something so I found this huge plastic strawberry shaped toybox (I think it was Little Tykes) in the thrift store for $3. Had it for years until we moved to WI and I gave it to one of my little charges.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• acrovader
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 19, 2011

I had one of those, but it was for me when I was a toddler- I didn't keep action figures in it (though in hindsight, I should've- since my figure collection outgrew and wore out cardboard boxes). It was mainly used for Fisher Price toys, Lincoln Logs, building blocks, etc.
                    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Mine was wood covered with black vinyl and padded.

Comment

• SKotK
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 11, 2014

This was mine:

I kept my larger toys in the bottom section, behind the sliding chalkboard doors.

Later on, the shelves became Cloud City, and 2 Twin-Pod Cloud Cars landed on the top shelf. The shelf below had the Cloud City Playset and a number of other custom areas I created. I also had a large section of Styrofoam packing insert attached to the wall above to act as Han & Leia's suite.

--SKot
                        Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                          Supporter of Silliness
                          • Jun 20, 2007

My brothers and I had a couple old army surplus crates down in the basement. Maybe 3' x 3' x 12" high. They sat side-by-side and we just piled everything in there. Also had a couple of bookcases down there where we could display Adventure People and Star Wars stuff.

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by SKotK
                            This was mine:

I kept my larger toys in the bottom section, behind the sliding chalkboard doors.

Later on, the shelves became Cloud City, and 2 Twin-Pod Cloud Cars landed on the top shelf. The shelf below had the Cloud City Playset and a number of other custom areas I created. I also had a large section of Styrofoam packing insert attached to the wall above to act as Han & Leia's suite.

--SKot
                            Mine was just like that one except a wood grained color without the circles. I used to chuck all of my toys out of it and I would hide inside to surprise my parents.
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Allie Fox
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 1, 2009

Originally posted by SKotK
                              This was mine:

My sisters had the same thing except it was Holly Hobbie themed. MY toybox was an old WWII footlocker that my mother painted black. On the lid, my father placed a Suffolk County Police Department sticker (like the ones on the door of a cruiser).
                              If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                                Veteran Member
                                • Oct 12, 2016

Here is my toy box from my childhood...I was born in '68 so I've had this a good 49 or 50 years...No markings on it so I don't know where my parents bought it, or if they had it made.

20230126_053736 by Matt Peregoy, on Flickr

20230126_053807 by Matt Peregoy, on Flickr
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎