Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Chance Of Seeing a Mego Style SW Line?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

^^ agreed

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
      My assumption would be if Hasbro did these, they wouldn't either.
      The last time Hasbro attempted anything close to Mego style line was with Spiderman Origins in 2006. It wasn't exactly a success for them. I think it's a safe bet that a Mego style SW is probably a very low priority for them. Best chance would be another company trying to sublicense the property. If even that somehow actually happens the start up cost would be enormous because of all the unique tooling required to do it right.

Just to do the first 12 Kenner figures it would require multiple unique body molds. Many of which having very limited if any reuse.

C3PO
      R2-D2
      Chewbacca (A fur suit with leg extensions isn't going to cut it with SW collectors.)
      Jawa - small body
      Leia- female body
      Darth Vader- tall muscle body
      Han, Luke, Ben, Tusken Raider, Stormtrooper, Death Squad- male body
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

These are the same collectors that buy Kubricks and those vinyl statues that are all the same shape, but have different paint deco. If the line is marketed as a mini Hot Toys type of thing, then yes it should be realistic, posable, and detailed. If it is marketed to reflect a retro/mego vibe, then I think there is a lot more flexibility in design. Sideshow used the same basic buck for many years with extensions, individually cast hands and heads, and nice cloth goods. I firmly believe that can be done in 1:9 scale as well and with an aesthetic that leans toward the retro style.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by rche
          If it is marketed to reflect a retro/mego vibe, then I think there is a lot more flexibility in design.
          Again, have you been to a SW forum recently?

They are very picky. I've seen people go absolutely ape spit at Hasbro if the painted black band on $10 Stormtrooper helmet is just the tiniest bit off. They demand and expect perfection at a low mass market price.

Not to mention, a sizable amount of SW collectors tend to think Megos are actually kinda hideous. So, full on Mego retro isn't going to work. A fur suit Chewie or silk screened C3PO isn't going to cut it with the larger SW fan base that don't like or have never collected Megos.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Teemu
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 15, 2010

If these (Starwars) looked liked the 8" Zica Buck Rogers and the care put into the 2 figures that they did,you'd have a BIG hit!

Comment

• Jason73
              Correctamundo!
              • Jan 11, 2009

I'm a big Star Wars fan and collector and would love Mego styled Star Wars figures.
              Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• MEGOMAN
                Defender of the Megoverse
                • Dec 30, 2008

Star Wars MEGO figures would be fantastic. They really have to be done right. I would hate to see them done with any corners cut!

Comment

• megonaught
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 29, 2008

I love these.
                  I think now that Hasbro is doing the saga/mission line and those figures only have 5poa it would be a good time to try again and release a retro line of vintage figures on vintage cards.
                  With the retro craze happening it would only be right for Hasbro to hop on the wagon as well.

On making mego SW i just don think they would be done well.
                  Besides we have the Six in. Black series.

Originally posted by Hedji
                  They did. In 1995, there was a Classic Edition 4 Pack, but it didn't go over well at all. Vintage collectors saw them as a threat to true vintage figures' value and authenticity. Modern collectors were more interested in updated sculpts. So they never tried it again. I think they were just before their time with this. Personally, I love it.
                  Action Jackson is his name.
                  Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎