Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Chance Of Seeing a Mego Style SW Line?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bionicfanboy66
    Career Member
    • Jul 30, 2012

Any Chance Of Seeing a Mego Style SW Line?

Now that we're getting a retro Mego Marvel Universe line, what are the chances of Dr. Mego & EMCEE working something out with Disney/Lucasfilm to produce a line of 8" scale SW figures? Maybe launch an Episode VII line and then if that's successful, produce figures of the main chararcters from EP's I-VI. Yes, even that goofy Jar-Jar character.
  • bgiles73
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 14, 2010

I would like Star Wars in Mego-style, but I think I would prefer Indiana Jones more!

Comment

• JediJaida
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 14, 2008

Indy would be a good choice, but with Star Wars, you get so MANY more characters!

Vader
      Chewie
      Han
      Leia
      Luke
      Palpatine
      Gen. Veers
      Admiral Piett
      Shmi Skywalker
      Anakin Skywalker (child and adult)
      Qui-Gon Jinn
      Obi-Wan Kenobi (old and young)
      Mace Windu
      Yoda
      Knights of the Old Republic
      Count Dooku
      Padme
      The Handmaidens
      Captain Panaka
      Captain Typho
      Rogue Squadron
      Stormtroopers
      Clone Troopers
      Darth Maul
      Jabba the Hutt
      Generic Dancing Girls

If they released them in two packs, even if they were in the 30-40 dollar range, I'd buy them!

The hair for the females might be a bit hard to pull off; can you imagine doing that double bun hairstyle on a figure that small? Or the REALLY big hair that Padme had as Queen Amidala?

As long as the costumes didn't LOOK like they were cheaply done, with crummy materials, and actually HEMMED (a big turn off for me with the 12" figures from Hasbro.) I wouldn't mind plonking down some cash.

As long as the sculpts are not subpar and the heads aren't melon like, it would be fine.
      JediJaida

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I don't think SW lends itself well to 8 inch Mego style because so many characters absolutely have to have unique body molds. I don't think most SW collectors would want a fur suit Chewie like the BBP Bigfoot or a R2-D2 made out of a child torso sewn into a plush suit like the BBP Muffit.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Chris
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 23, 2009

We seem to be getting closer.
          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
            • Feb 27, 2014

This might be slightly off-topic but why hasn't Hasbro ever released exact replicas of the original Star Wars figures? Even if it was just the first 12, those with original card backs would sell like hot cakes!

Is there some sort of restriction that prevents this?

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

They did. In 1995, there was a Classic Edition 4 Pack, but it didn't go over well at all. Vintage collectors saw them as a threat to true vintage figures' value and authenticity. Modern collectors were more interested in updated sculpts. So they never tried it again. I think they were just before their time with this. Personally, I love it.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Hedji
                They did. In 1995, there was a Classic Edition 4 Pack, but it didn't go over well at all. Vintage collectors saw them as a threat to true vintage figures' value and authenticity. Modern collectors were more interested in updated sculpts. So they never tried it again. I think they were just before their time with this. Personally, I love it.
                Ah I vaguely remember that. But I'm talking exact replicas in exact replica packaging. They've already had replica card backs in other lines recently, just not the figures. If it was a concern back then the market has changed so much now and other lines have been doing this for years that it would seem they would get a much more favorable following now.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

^Not among Star Wars fans. They get their panties in a twist over the smallest things.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

I think they were just before their time with this. Personally, I love it.
                    That 4 pack rules. I had always hoped they would done more sets like that and at least finished out the first 12 figures.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I predict we will see retro-sculpted SW figures on vintage style cards before the retro-craze passes by. Whether or not they will make repros of existing vintage sculpts is still up in the air. I could see Hasbro maybe farming out the license to a boutique license holder like Gentle Giant, ala their Jumbo Vintage figures, but I'd be surprised to see Hasbro doing their own exact repros.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I predict we will see retro-sculpted SW figures on vintage style cards before the retro-craze passes by. .
                        It's such a no brainer. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. Sometimes I think Hasbro is a asleep at the wheel with the decisions they make. I'm sure there are plenty of companies dying to do it if Hasbro would let them.

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

I would have to disagree that SW is not workable in the 8" arena.
                          Of the first 12 Kenner releases, the two droids would be the only ones that would need extensive tooling.

Although the Cylon was a bit limited, BBP showed that an armored figure could be done. BBP also had some interesting ideas with the Morbius and Bigfoot figures. Since some of the modern bandless bodies also have "plug in" joints at the limbs, leg extensions and alien hand casts are not out of the question. EMCEs Mutant is a good exampe as well.

The major hurdle is most probably the cost of the license. Hopefully someone will tackle that, but until then the customizers can keep showing us awesome 1:9 Star Wars figures.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by rche
                            I would have to disagree that SW is not workable in the 8" arena.
                            Have you been to a SW forum recently?

SW collectors have fits of rage if a paint ap is a little off. The level of production errors and quality control issues we are used to just isn't going to fly in the SW collecting world. Giant headed Luke and Han Solos or a chubby Chewbacca in a fur suit or a Stormtrooper that can't move because of the armor design would cause fits of nerd rage the likes of which not seen here. On the whole, we don't think much of swapping out bodies or restring or fixing broken figures right off the card. SW collectors demand and expect perfection.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Of course, there is nothing about 8" figures that demands low quality, big heads, unflattering costumes, or poor mobility.
                              When NECA entered the market, they didn't suffer from any of those issues.
                              My assumption would be if Hasbro did these, they wouldn't either.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎