Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrWhoMego
    • Apr 16, 2014

Sticky head and melting shoes?

Hello follow Mego lovers! I’m quite pleased to be able to post here as I could use your sage advice. I did search the forums, but didn’t find anything that spoke directly to the issue at hand. So, here it goes:

As I’m sure many here can relate, I spent the better part of 20 years tracking down, and figuring out how to pay for, my Megos. A couple of years back I finished my 7 piece Doctor Who set. They’re mint (one or two are near-mint, but they’re closer to mint than not – but I digress) and I haven’t touched them for years as they sit comfortably in a curio cabinet. The other day I went to dust them.

To my horror, the Cyberman’s head is sticky and the Doctor’s feet are sweating goo. None of the other dolls are effected, although Leela’s feet could be…but just a bit. I don’t think this is “Mego Melt”, but something else. I could be wrong because I don’t really understand the symptoms. However, I did read here that it could be the oils in the plastics leaking out and deteriorating.

My questions are these:
    1. Is this goo due to heat (the cabinet they sit in is in a room that can get to 80-85 degrees)?
    2. Is there a way to stop it if it isn’t heat?
    3. If not corrected, over time will my Cyberman’s head melt away and my Doctor loose his shoes, or is this goo harmless to the dolls?
    4. Is there a way to clean the goo off the dolls besides water because water doesn't seem to be very effective?

Thank you so much!
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

I'd say that heat in excess of 70 degrees is never good for 40 year old vinyl and rubber but it does sound like "mego melt" common in the later 70's ones (my ST TMP's boots are all gummy) I don't think the head will get worse per se but I would try to get tohem to a more temperate climate

Comment

• DrWhoMego
      • Apr 16, 2014

Thank you for your response! If you don't mind, I have some questions based off your answer: So, the sticky head and the gummy feet will just continue to leak goo, but won't loose their form, color, etc.? Do you know of a way to clean off the goo, or is it best to leave it be? What should I look for when it comes to potential damage if I can't move them to an environment that doesn't fluctuate between 80-85 degrees?

Comment

• jds1911a1
        • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by DrWhoMego
        Thank you for your response! If you don't mind, I have some questions based off your answer: So, the sticky head and the gummy feet will just continue to leak goo, but won't loose their form, color, etc.? Do you know of a way to clean off the goo, or is it best to leave it be? What should I look for when it comes to potential damage if I can't move them to an environment that doesn't fluctuate between 80-85 degrees?
        I've never kept mine in higher temps (I actually try to keep them in ac rooms) but my sttnmp figs boots are still gummy even after a wipe down but there hasn't been any staining of the uniforms = but as I said they've been in a controlled climate since I got them about 8 years ago, and they are grey boots to begin with

you may be able to use some of the same techniques used to de grey a head to save the cyber head

Comment

• DrWhoMego
          • Apr 16, 2014

Thank you. When I search the forums for "Grey Head", I'm not finding any hits that speak to remedies. Would you be so kind as to post a link or two referencing the techniques?

Comment

• jds1911a1
            • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by DrWhoMego
            Thank you. When I search the forums for "Grey Head", I'm not finding any hits that speak to remedies. Would you be so kind as to post a link or two referencing the techniques?
            it's in the custom mego gallery section
            degreying

custom mego

Comment

• DrWhoMego
              • Apr 16, 2014

I just wanted to so thank you so very much for your advice. Between your advice and that of a message thread from a fellow member, I believe the issue is resolved. Ultimately, I used rubbing alcohol to remove the elastin and the head and shoes are no longer sticky. I think I got to them just in time as there seems to be no color loss. Also, I've moved them to a cooler part of the house with more air flow. You rock and from the bottom of the little plastic hearts of my Megos, I thank you.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎