X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Hot Toys Captain America Shield Trouble

I am sick to my stomach. I went to my Detolf case where my Hot Toys are, planning on dusting my Captain America: The First Avenger figure so I could take a picture of him for a project I'm working on.

I wiped across the shield LIGHTLY with a feather duster...and RED PAINT CHIPS FLAKED OFF!!!

This figure has been sitting in this case, undisturbed for well over a year! A few days ago, I had just noticed a little dust had managed to make it onto the shield. That's it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Will Hot Toys replace pieces like this? (I know that's a long shot).

HELP!!!

Chris
    sigpic
  • VinMan
    Career Member Mego Maniac
    • Sep 6, 2012

Common problem with that shield. It "flakes". I dont think Hot TOys will replace it, but it is certainly worth a shot.....

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

Wow... I heard these might be delicate figures but You think for the amount of money they charge for these things they wouldnt chip especially after a year... I'm going to be afraid to take my 66 Batman out when it arrives tomorrow... Not cool

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Common problem with that shield. It "flakes". I dont think Hot TOys will replace it, but it is certainly worth a shot.....
        Thanks for the info. I knew of problems with rubber pieces, but never heard of paint flaking.

Wow... I heard these might be delicate figures but You think for the amount of money they charge for these things they wouldnt chip especially after a year... I'm going to be afraid to take my 66 Batman out when it arrives tomorrow... Not cool
        I won't lie, I sweat a bit each time I mess with my Hot Toys. A delicate touch is key. But you don't get much more delicate than a FEATHER duster.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
          Superman's Pal
          • Jun 17, 2005

Sorry to hear about that. That's one of the things that had me nervous about buying one on eBay... it is a common problem I've read about. I know it's probably not a consolation, but maybe, with the re-release, you might be able to buy a loose shield on eBay from someone who parts them out.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Sorry, Chris. I know that feeling well... When you accidentally mess up a collectible, you get that pit in the stomach as you stand there staring at it, feeling your temperature rise. Yup, I've been there.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Wow that sucks...I just recently sold my First Avenger Cap. I dusted it weekly and never had any problems with my shield.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 12, 2004

Stories like this is one of the main reasons that I've always been apprehensive about purchasing Hot Toys and other high end figures.

I've got five figures preordered now from Sideshow Collectables, including that $300 + shipping Hot Toys Robocop.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 3, 2009

chris sorry to read of your shield problems ,heres a link to a sideshow collectors page ,it offers a couple of solutions to the problem ,a proto type look ,a damaged look a repair ,and a supposed prevention ,it sucks that it comes to this ,but its worth taking a look over there for problems and potential problems with hot toys and the like ,before you buy ,there reporting on adam west batman crooked bat symbols atm ,anyway i hope this proves useful and you can salvage the situation to some sort of satisfaction http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/fo...d-Pics/page876 cheers chris

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for the input guys. I did email Hot Toys and asked for a replacement. We'll see what happens.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• m0redaniel
                      Goblin enthusiast
                      • Jan 14, 2014

Ridiculous this happens at the prices they go for.
                      Known to occasionally brush shoulders with 8 inch goblins

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

It does happen, to other (China based) metallic paint applications as well.
                        Years back, I bought a set of Saint Seiya figures (knight-like in metallic armor). They were displayed in a glass case and always gently handled. After a year, while dusting, all the paint started to crumble off. They are totally ruined now. Captain America might have a "battle damage" shield, but these guys look terrible. I can't display nor sell them.
                        I asked about them, it was a common problem, but no replacements were sent out. This was a $250 set of 5 figures, mind you!
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Red Hulk
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 19, 2012

Sorry to hear this happened I've heard of others having this same problem.

Comment

• Vinny0026
                            Year Five!!
                            • Jan 26, 2012

Chris - first off I can't tell you how sorry I feel for you.

If you read sideshow freaks - you will see that a TON of people have the same problem.
                            I'm in fear of taking my Caps out of the box and in fear down the road they will also have this problem.

For a figure/figures that retail for about 200 and up (I paid 175.00 for first avenger version - but paid 325.00 for Avengers version via e bay) they really should not have that issue - or any issues for that price.

The least they should do is some sort of buy back or replace program for the shields.
                            Like send yours in and have it replaced for a fee. I think anyone who has this problem would hate to pay for a mistake that HT made - but would still pay to have it replaced.

bottom line is they should be doinging something about it, and not just pawning it off like its not happening to everyone.

Really is a shame. - You should try and contact them and see what they say. Never hurts to try

I know Vman just had a war machine leg replaced.
                            "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks guys,

I did email Hot Toys customer service...and so far no reply. I will try again. Maybe I need a different contact email.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎