X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Dick Grayson: Agent of Spyral?

USA Today has an article introducing Dick Grayson's new role as a a underground spy for an organization introduced in Batman Inc. the ne series will be Grayson, which picks up where Forever Evil leaves the character.

I've always liked Dick Grayson and liked Nightwing as part of the Titans, but the solo Knightwing stories never really worked for me. They weren't bad but they always came off as Batman lite. Again, I always liked the chAracter when he was working with other characters. I enjoyed how he was portrayed as being likable, respected and capable, whereas Batman was aloof, intimidating and domineering in a team setting, or at least post crisis.

It would seem only Batman is going to be aware of his new status with others thinking he's dead.

One of the co-writers of the book is ex-CIA, so that might bring some fun to the book.

It'll be interesting. The art accompanying the article depicts Grayson with a pistol. Considering he's had so much experience without one, it seemed odd to me at first, but I guess it's not.
  • classicgalacticalover
    • Feb 19, 2010

Dick is following in Bucky's footsteps it seems. Everyone belives he is dead so he is now a secret agent. As much as I love this character this will not last.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Soooo.......it's pretty much like when Roy Harper worked for Checkmate?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Barf.

Nightwing is a brand name. People know it. So let's dump it for this. Good thinking.

Just because DiDio can't get past his hang-up over the character.

I guess I should be glad they really didn't kill him, but maybe that would have been better.

This does read as "Winter Solider" envy.

For good Nightwing comics, check Chuck Dixon's long run starting with the first ongoing Nightwing #1. Under Dixon it was a great title. Devin Grayson came in and undid everything good Chuck had done, and Dick has never recovered.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

Hey Chris,
          I read many of those Dixon Nightwings and they were just so so to me. Definitely not bad, but again Batman or Dare Devil lite.

The Wolfman and Perez issues of Teen Titans really cemented my view of Nightwing, and other than when teamed with Damian or Barbara, the chararacter hasn't worked as well. But that's just me. I know Dixon's stories are beloved by many. I just found Tim Drake more interesting during that time period. I've not read the Devin Grayson stories.

Coming out of Forever Evil, if I were DC and wanted to shake things up, I think I would have made him field leader of Suicide Squad. Of course in the messed up N52 continuity, he hasn't proven himself as a great leader so it doesn't make as much sense.

My view of Grayson is as a very social character. I don't see him functioning well as a loner secret agent. Maybe that'll be the hook?

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

So he's just Tom Cruise?
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Dixon had Dick become a cop, and there were some issues with him and Batman with him carrying a gun. Daddy would sure be proud now!

I've come to the conclusion everyone knows the DC characters better than DC themselves.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Maybe, the WB will attempt to steal Cruise from Paramount to make a Grayson film, lol. Or sell off the character to Paramount.
                Last edited by madmarva; Apr 15, '14, 9:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎