Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Million Dollar Man Aciton Figures Wave 2 Images!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Bionic Chris
    Craig,

Entertainment Earth's description of Wave 2 says it "contains 5 individually packaged action figures (subject to change)", so would you consider releasing just 3 action figures to cut costs: Oscar Goldman, Dr. Rudy Wells, and Evil Robot Mr. X? You could update the advertising pics of the Mr. X action figure showing he has removable face mask, a big selling point to draw the Maskatron fans.
    Wait, the Maskatron figure has a removable face? See I had no idea it did, that makes the figure more appealing to me.

Comment

• ZICA
      Persistent Member
      • May 7, 2006

Craig,

Entertainment Earth's description of Wave 2 says it "contains 5 individually packaged action figures (subject to change)", so would you consider releasing just 3 action figures to cut costs: Oscar Goldman, Dr. Rudy Wells, and Evil Robot Mr. X? You could update the advertising pics of the Mr. X action figure showing he has removable face mask, a big selling point to draw the Maskatron fans. And do you recall all the compliments on the artwork of Wave 1? Go back to that cardback style for this "final 3" to attract all the buyers of Wave 1. I understand why some like the photo cards, but with all due respect, I think breaking the look of the line was a bad idea. Bif Bang Pow updated their prototype pics of Astronaut Steve and Barney Hiller months later on Entertainment Earth, so you can do the same. But if you still don't want to make any changes to Wave 2, at least update the pics of the Mr. X action figure on Entertainment Earth and other seller sites showing he has a removable face mask to reveal his scary robot face, that alone would boost preorder sales I bet! You also said the alternate Rudy Wells action figure will have different paint apps, so update the prototype pic of him too.

In the end, I preordered Wave 2 and hope you don't cancel the line. If you have the license a while longer still, please consider our ideas on here to save Wave 2, even if it's the last wave you do. At least do a final 3 for us SMDM collectors that love what you did with the first 3.

Thanks!
      Chris

P.S. If your heart is set on the photo cards, you could do Wave 1 again to fix the look of the line, as there are episodes of Steve in his blue track suit and blue sneakers, watch "Wine, Women and War" and "Day of the Robot". But I still think you should do Wave 2 with the cool artwork, Wave 1 has great graphics, and the pics of the actors are still featured on the back...you had the right idea then, just do 3 at a time like those, keep the look of the line consistent.
      1. The tooling is the most expensive part of what's needed to make these figures so you want to get as much bang for your buck as you can. The tooling on these figures would be the same if I made 3 or if I made 5.

2. The card art design change was a cost cutting measure to help get the lower retails. Also, I really didn't get many complaints about that change. As a matter of fact, a lot of people seemed to like the change since it was more in line with what Kenner would have done. Also, there were plans to make photo cards of the wave 1 figures if the demand was there.

The sad reality is that collectors just aren't interested in these characters, and I didn't buy the license to make 50 different variations of Steve Austin.

Comment

• ZICA
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Cope
        Interesting development on the Kickstarter/licensed property side of things. Capo Toys just launched a Kickstarter for Ryu from Street Fighter. I'll be surprised if it meets it's funding goal of $85K offering essentially a single figure and variants.

With precedent being set by this and even CA in Fresh Monkey's Amazing Heroes line maybe it's worth approaching NBC/Universal to see if it's something they'd consider.
        There are some exceptions but for most companies it's not an option. I know it's not for NBC/Universal because I asked early on, and I also know it's not an option for King Features. The guys at Captain Action Enterprises were nice enough to let me go the Kickstarter route if I want to and I just might do that.

Comment

• Bionic Chris
          • May 21, 2014

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
          Wait, the Maskatron figure has a removable face? See I had no idea it did, that makes the figure more appealing to me.
          See Craig, why don't you update your product description and prototype pic of Mr. X? And why don't you let preorders run through say November? I recall Wave 1 preorders were still going through last December? What is your hurry to cancel the SMDM line? Lots of collectors have given great advice, and you shot them all down. I'm sure NBC/Universal thought you would create more than 2 figures.

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

See Craig, why don't you update your product description and prototype pic of Mr. X? And why don't you let preorders run through say November? I recall Wave 1 preorders were still going through last December? What is your hurry to cancel the SMDM line? Lots of collectors have given great advice, and you shot them all down. I'm sure NBC/Universal thought you would create more than 2 figures.
            The Wave 1 preorders did run for a long time but the numbers needed to move forward with production were reached within less than a month from the time preorders were started. I only have the license for a certain amount of time and I know how long production on something like this can take. If the numbers aren't reached by the end of this month there won't be enough time to make the figures before the license expires, and I'm not going to pay the amount needed for an extension on it.

Yes, lots of collectors have offered their advice and I appreciate that. As for me shooting that advice down, I've given clear answers as to why certain things won't work, and I've also been speaking from experience. Yes, I'm sure NBC/Universal did think I would make more than two figures, I did too.
            Last edited by ZICA; Jul 21, '14, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Bionic Chris
              • May 21, 2014

You sound like a good guy, Craig, and I appreciate you taking the time to read our posts and reply to them. I'm really impressed with the attention to detail given to Wave 1, right down to which side the pocket goes on Steve Austin's jogging jacket. I don't normally collect the small figures, took a gamble and very happy when I got them. I can only imagine how great Wave 2 would have been, especially Mr. X. Kenner's Maskatron was great, but your version as well as Bif Bang Pow's would have actually looked like John Saxon and the evil robot with face off. Sounds like neither will be released, truly a shame. I'm sure they would have sold well when people saw the love you put into the design of the final product. And as a kid I always wondered why Kenner didn't make a Dr. Wells action figure, I would have got him for sure. Was happy he finally got made by BBP, was hoping to add your versions to my collection too. Well, thanks for the neat blue version of Steve Austin, I'll always cherish him along with Bionic Bigfoot, a mini version of Kenner's. Take care and good luck with your other toy lines. I hope you see this thread has had more posts than any others on the Zica page recently, says something about the fans interest in this line. Lots of disappointment no more figures are coming evidently.
              Last edited by Bionic Chris; Jul 21, '14, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• ZICA
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2006

. . . I'm sure they would have sold well when people saw the love you put into the design of the final product.
                This is how I thought it would be with the Buck Rogers figures and it didn't happen, which was a very costly and stressful learning experience.

Comment

• jp1977
                  • Jun 13, 2013

Such a shame, I know I did my part as I pre ordered two sets from Entertainment Earth. I so wanted that Oscar Goldman and Rudy Wells figures, I am fuming. There is no way to get some help from Bif Bang Pow on these, like a 50/50 partnership so your costs would not be so extravagant. However, this might not help the situation, I mean if people aren't buying they just aren't gonna buy no matter who the manufacturer is. Just really wanted that second series.

Comment

• ZICA
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by jp1977
                    Such a shame, I know I did my part as I pre ordered two sets from Entertainment Earth. I so wanted that Oscar Goldman and Rudy Wells figures, I am fuming. There is no way to get some help from Bif Bang Pow on these, like a 50/50 partnership so your costs would not be so extravagant. However, this might not help the situation, I mean if people aren't buying they just aren't gonna buy no matter who the manufacturer is. Just really wanted that second series.
                    Partnering with Bif Bang Pow would be great but they know the situation with these figures and would rather not take the risk. I was actually contacted buy another company who wanted this assortment as an exclusive but once I gave them the numbers they quickly realized it wasn't a good idea.

Comment

• jp1977
                      • Jun 13, 2013

And so much for Diamond Select doing their own series, I mean they were hyping the 40th anniversary of the television show and yet they have not pulled the trigger on any figures yet. Nothing at SDCC, unless I missed them!

Comment

• VulcansFury
                        Museum Patron
                        • Mar 6, 2014

Did I miss an announcement somewhere? Were these definitely cancelled? (I hope not!)

Comment

• ZICA
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by VulcansFury
                          Did I miss an announcement somewhere? Were these definitely cancelled? (I hope not!)
                          Yes, the line has definitely been cancelled. Retailers will be notified by the end of this week to remove the images of the wave 2 figures.

Comment

• megonaught
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 29, 2008

I am really sorry to hear this Craig.
                            Well you did get three nice figures out.

Originally posted by ZICA
                            Yes, the line has definitely been cancelled.
                            Action Jackson is his name.
                            Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                              GLOWS in the Dark!
                              • May 3, 2006

Man, such a bummer. Thanks so much for one of my favorite figures, Bionic Bigfoot, though!

Comment

• noelani72
                                27inaleon
                                • Jun 25, 2002

Dang, sorry Craig.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡