Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Million Dollar Man Aciton Figures Wave 2 Images!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jp1977
    • Jun 13, 2013

So what is the cool property that could get us excited. Is it retro/classic property or a completely new concept like Boss Fights Hacks? Just a hint.

Comment

• ZICA
      Persistent Member
      • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by jp1977
      So what is the cool property that could get us excited. Is it retro/classic property or a completely new concept like Boss Fights Hacks? Just a hint.
      All I can say at this point is that it will be a modern take on a retro/classic property.

Comment

• BionicMatt
        • Aug 23, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by starsky View Post
        i think wave 3 and a venus space probe would have been jackpot craig or would you have needed wave 2 to succeed in order for wave 3 to happen?

Originally posted by ZICA
        Wave 2 needed to succeed for wave 3 to happen. Only two figures were planned for wave 3 because I wanted to start work on the Venus Probe. The figures were Steve in khaki outfit and a fembot 3-pack.

I'm so bummed that the line has been canceled! I'm in the camp that believes the character mix may have been partly to blame, since the price certainly can't be at fault. With a five-figure wave, I really think a Steve Austin (in khakis) would have been a sure thing (in place of one of the Rudy Wells figures). Without a Steve Austin variant, the set is really just five average-looking guys, with no "exciter" in the mix. A better sample of the "Mr. X" robot face exposed might have helped, too.

My thought would have been for another two waves of five figures each (keeping Craig's fembot 3-pack idea):

1. Steve Austin (khakis)
        2. Oscar Goldman
        3. Mr. X robot
        4. Rudy Wells (Oppenheimer)
        5. Barney Miller

1. Steve Austin (mustached; navy blue leisure suit)
        2. Rudy Wells (Brooks)
        3. Fembot #1 (Katy)
        4. Fembot #2 (Callahan)
        5. Fembot #3 (generic; faceless in black uniform)

As desired as a Steve in khakis figure is, the outfit he wore most often was a navy blue leisure suit (I gave up counting at 18 episode appearances). Steve wore the navy blue leisure suit when battling the fembots in "Kill Oscar-Part II", so it would make sense to offer that outfit with the fembot wave. Almost as common was the khaki "adventure fatigues" outfit with 15 appearances. Next came the tracksuits with red at 6, royal blue at 5, and light blue at 4. BTW... Barney Hiller's tracksuit in "The Bionic Criminal" is navy blue (with red & white stripes) --not black-- a some have stated, and as BBP has (incorrectly) outfitted their 8" figure.

I know the flood of low-priced figures from Funko has probably been taking its toll on many collectors' budgets, likely hurting the SMDM line. I'm also one that would have paid a higher price to keep this line going. Maybe $15 per figure, or the set for $60-$65 might have helped. It's hard to second-guess Craig and the people marketing these things, since they know what needs to happen to make them a reality. Making enough profit to have made the effort worthwhile--not to mention to keep the line going--is something of which collectors are hopefully mindful.

As far as card art goes, I fully understand the cost of the commissioned artwork is very high, and, outside of Steve and the robots, most of the other characters don't lend themselves to the snazzy how-cool-is-that art of Wave 1. It's hard to imagine any collector not buying new figures because they had photo cards rather than illustrations. If the line had continued, it would have been nice to see Wave 1 reissued with photo cards, making the initial release that much more special.

So unfortunately, an in-scale Venus Space Probe goes back into the if-only-there-was-something-that-cool-in-my-collection dreams.

Comment

• Bionic Chris
          • May 21, 2014

Great post, BionicMatt! Appreciate learning the facts about Steve Austin's outfits in the show. An action figure of him in his navy blue leisure suit would have been awesome with the Fembot 3-pack! I now have to agree that you need a Steve Austin in each wave of figures, and your suggested mix of characters for Waves 2 and 3 makes perfect sense! And I preordered Wave 2 even though disappointed the photo cards didn't match Wave 1's artwork, but if the mix had included a Steve Austin figure with his own photo card, I would have liked the change much better.

Craig, would you please reconsider your decision to cancel the line and try BionicMatt's above suggestions? Seems to me people buy more in the fall through the holidays, so your presales would be much stronger. Also, do you realize how popular the Venus Space Probe would be with collectors, since the original Kenner toy is a holy grail? Aside from Star Wars, I personally have no interest in any other toy lines you might do besides The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Bionic Woman. At least think about it for down the road, never say never.

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Bionic Chris
            Great post, BionicMatt! Appreciate learning the facts about Steve Austin's outfits in the show. An action figure of him in his navy blue leisure suit would have been awesome with the Fembot 3-pack! I now have to agree that you need a Steve Austin in each wave of figures, and your suggested mix of characters for Waves 2 and 3 makes perfect sense! And I preordered Wave 2 even though disappointed the photo cards didn't match Wave 1's artwork, but if the mix had included a Steve Austin figure with his own photo card, I would have liked the change much better.

Craig, would you please reconsider your decision to cancel the line and try BionicMatt's above suggestions? Seems to me people buy more in the fall through the holidays, so your presales would be much stronger. Also, do you realize how popular the Venus Space Probe would be with collectors, since the original Kenner toy is a holy grail? Aside from Star Wars, I personally have no interest in any other toy lines you might do besides The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Bionic Woman. At least think about it for down the road, never say never.
            Nobody is more disappointed and frustrated that wave 2 isn't going to happen than me, but I've got more important things to focus on now and I'd rather not waste my energy dwelling on what could have been. Also, the amount of time it would take to develop and produce new figures and the Venus Space Probe is far longer than what I have left on the license. Who knows, maybe Funko will grab the license once it's available and continue where I left off.

Comment

• jp1977
              • Jun 13, 2013

Lets say for arguments sake, Eagle Force is an overwhelming success, will that provide the cash needed to supplement some Six Million Dollar Man figures. Just grasping at one last straw Craig!

Comment

• ZICA
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by jp1977
                Lets say for arguments sake, Eagle Force is an overwhelming success, will that provide the cash needed to supplement some Six Million Dollar Man figures. Just grasping at one last straw Craig!
                No, it wouldn't. I don't have the license for much longer and I'd rather invest the money in other projects.

Comment

• Boshek
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 26, 2011

Could you sell your concepts to Funko so they could make them if they get the license?
                  Check out my YouTube page

Comment

• ZICA
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Boshek
                    Could you sell your concepts to Funko so they could make them if they get the license?
                    I seriously doubt they would make me an offer but I'd be open to that.

Comment

• megonaught
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 29, 2008

When you loose the license will you still be able to sell the stock you still have?

Originally posted by ZICA
                      No, it wouldn't. I don't have the license for much longer and I'd rather invest the money in other projects.
                      Action Jackson is his name.
                      Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

• ZICA
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by megonaught
                        When you loose the license will you still be able to sell the stock you still have?
                        Yes, there's a sell off period after the license expires.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 30, 2012

Read something about Dynamite Entertainment developing a 40th anniversary line. My guess is that it's the 40th anniversary of the original Kenner line(1975-2015). Wonder if they plan on bringing back the original 13" scale figures? If so, I'd be up for that.

Comment

• VulcansFury
                            Museum Patron
                            • Mar 6, 2014

Any chance of making the 3d files available so those with 3d printers can make their own wave 2 prints?

Comment

• Jeff Cope
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jun 11, 2013

Originally posted by Bionicfanboy66
                              Read something about Dynamite Entertainment developing a 40th anniversary line. My guess is that it's the 40th anniversary of the original Kenner line(1975-2015). Wonder if they plan on bringing back the original 13" scale figures? If so, I'd be up for that.
                              Dynamite Toys has failed to materialize anything at this point. There hasn't been any news about toys since the original announcement.

Comment

• ZICA
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by VulcansFury
                                Any chance of making the 3d files available so those with 3d printers can make their own wave 2 prints?
                                No, that's definitely not an option.

Originally posted by Jeff Cope
                                Dynamite Toys has failed to materialize anything at this point. There hasn't been any news about toys since the original announcement.
                                Also, if the line does get made I feel like the figures will be 6" tall.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎