Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by jeffbearco
    As one last nudge on Wonder Woman, I'd much MUCH rather they use the 12 inch figure as a guide instead of the 8 inch figure. The original 8 inch figure would look like CRAP next to the Mattel version.

And yes, I am trying to pull this conversation back around to the figures instead of the well vetted controversy. *sigh*

For the record, I never saw the 2 packs on ebay but I don't doubt they have shown up before.

JeffBearCO
    If FTC is smart, this is what they will do: First make the figures EXACTLY as Mego made them. As close as they can.

THEN they can make smaller runs to satisfy some of the complaints collectors have, such as a child-sized body Mxy, correct suit Speedy, etc. That way they satisfy the purists and collectors that want to see Mego's 'mistakes' corrected. Plus they make more money from their license.

I think we all need to remember that the more money FTC makes from this the better because the better the DC line does for them, the more sense it makes for them to pony up to buy other licenses, starting with (hopefully) Marvel!

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

Look, I'm sorry for stirring this kettle of fish in the first place, but I truly respect The Toyroom's design work and Vinny's ideas and execution of the two-packs, and giving them a little shout out was the only intention.

I don't think anyone is arguing over who has the rights to the art or that two-packs in general are their original ideas, but it didn't take a half a glance at FTC's product to know where the inspiration came from.

Like VinMan, when I mentioned percentage, it was a joke. And one of the reasons FTC can't give them a shout out is because it could open a door that none of the parties would want to walk through.

Now as for the design of the two-pack packaging, yes, the Toyroom is using art produced by DC or MArvel, but the designs of his boxes and cards - the choice of what art to use, it's placement in conjunction with type, what colors to use or not use, any little fixes in Photoshop - all of that is absolutely his. And design is absolutely an artistic endeavor.

Look at the choice The Toyroom made on the card back of of Vinny's Batman/Bruce Wayne set. Vinny wanted The Toyroom to incorporate the origin in some way. Using the origin from I believe Detective Comics 33 was just a great decision for a custom card. It was an artistic choice he was able to make because he knows the subject matter so well. He could have just slapped another image from DC's style guide on the back, which would have taken him a few minutes or less. It would have looked good, and just added the Origin blurb, but no, The Toyroom, didn't just do an average job with it, he went further b/c he cares and he knows his name will be on it. For the most part he allowed the art to tell the origin through his placement of the panels.

Now, if you look at the design on the FTC single figure cards and then compare it to the design on the two packs, the design on the two packs is much better.

Why?

Either, FTC has hired a much better designer, or FTC's designer is following The Toyroom's designs as a template. I think it's the latter.

As for FTC, more power to them. The more care they put into the design and execution of their figures, the clothing, accessories and the packaging, the better it is for the consumer and the better it is for FTC.
      Last edited by madmarva; Apr 11, '14, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Vinny0026
        Year Five!!
        • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel

I am curious though, and please do not take this as an accusation: Did you discuss this with Toyroom before you asked Fig Inc to make these?
        Ok - I think a lot of this is not coming out the right way. maybe its me not clearly expressing my points. Or people taking just different point of views than me.

I DID NOT ask CTV/Figures inc to make anything.
        At the end of the day he makes the call on what he wants to make or not make.
        I did not tell him to make these. Why would I? I was selling customs on e bays - that I will no longer be able to sell.

But Anthony did tell me a while back he planned on making 2 packs. So he can do what ever he wants he owns the rights not me.

I had no right to tell Toyroom what Fig inc was planning to make.
        I deal with Toyroom at least once every other week I would never do anything to hurt him or upset him. Toyroom would tell you that I'm like the only one, or one of the few who use or makes 2 pack customs. So the fact that Figures inc is making these really has no impact on what ToyRoom does.

They have the rights to make any DC figure they want in 8" format. They paid for those rights. They put all the money into the rights and making these figures.
        They take all the risk - so they deserve all the reward.

I'm happy to be friends with Anthony-figures inc - I respect him and what he is doing
        I'm lucky enough to talk to him and he bounces ideas off of me.

So in short - everyone can make up their own mind as to what inspired them to make these.
        It is clear that I love 2 packs - as I just got a new order from Toyroom last week for a bunch of new ones.

I have no problems with Figures Inc/ or Toyroom
        Both are friends of mine and I would never do anything to hurt either of them.

I will just say Toyroom inspired me with these 2 packs
        I than made tons of them, I was lucky to sell a bunch of them.

I like to believe that the work inspired CTV -
        But at the end of the day they have to make what they feel will sell or not. So again they took the risk they should get the reward.

But I do not work for ctv, I do not get paid by ctv
        I continue to say I like the stuff they make and hope they continue to bring us new and awesome products.

I have nothing else to say on the matter - everyone is a big boy here - you can have your own thoughts or point of view
        I have no desire to say anymore than I already have.

Also for the record again -
        I'm friends with both of those guys and have nothing but respect for Classic TV toys/ and Toyroom.

At the end of the day - I'm a mego guy and happy that CTV makes all this new stuff
        and glad that Toyroom is able to bring some of my customs to life.
        "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Well said. I am sure any effect you and/or AD had on FTC packaging was positive.

Comment

• Vinny0026
            Year Five!!
            • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by madmarva

As for FTC, more power too them. The more care they put into the design and execution of their figures, the clothing, accessories and the packaging, the better it is for the consumer and the better it is for FTC.
            I totally agree with you - at the end of the day we all just want to see more product and more figures. So it matters not what influences them to make them as long as they continue to do so. So in short get out there and support them - buy more figures and they will continue to bring us more new figures.

So we all love mego - and mego type figures. lets support CTV so they continue to bring us more.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
              • Feb 27, 2014

So I wouldn't get too worked up. Wishing for something more official is probably just begging for a Cease & Desist letter anyhow.
              Bingo. If you use someone's artwork without permission and then make money off that artwork, you are asking for it. From a PR standpoint DC probably won't say anything if you sell a few here or there, but they are well within their legal rights to stop it from happening. This is why companies like FTC have to pay licensing fees to use DC's artwork.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Sorry, Vinny. I must have misread your previous posts. You said that you had given them lots of ideas, and that you inspired the 2 packs, and I incorrectly connected the dots as you having suggested the 2 pack idea.

(Also, when you said about "Anthony" asking permission... I was thinking Toyroom Anthony, when now it is clear that you were referring to FTC Anthony.)

In any case, I wasn't trying to make you defensive.

Your custom 2 packs are always fun. Toyroom's packaging aesthetic is outstanding. It is a winning formula... I understand why FTC would want to emulate it.

Comment

• Teemu
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 15, 2010

Wished Figures toy company was making Marvel 2-packs!

Vs sets,alterego's,Fantastic 4 4-pack,the list goes on!

Comment

• Vinny0026
                    Year Five!!
                    • Jan 26, 2012

Sorry, Vinny. I must have misread your previous posts. You said that you had given them lots of ideas, and that you inspired the 2 packs, and I incorrectly connected the dots as you having suggested the 2 pack idea.

(Also, when you said about "Anthony" asking permission... I was thinking Toyroom Anthony, when now it is clear that you were referring to FTC Anthony.)

In any case, I wasn't trying to make you defensive.

Your custom 2 packs are always fun. Toyroom's packaging aesthetic is outstanding. It is a winning formula... I understand why FTC would want to emulate it.

No worries brother - a lot gets lost in the long posts - same as text messages.
                    easy to get confused when they are both named Anthony LOL

I'm glad you guys enjoy the customs. They are fun to make and glad I can share them with fellow mego heads here.

Again - with out Toyroom - I would not have like 80% of my customs. He never lets you down on a project and the work he does in amazing

Also Like I said - I'm in for anything CTV makes. So just go out there and buy. Support the brand and they will help bring everyone figures they want to see. So buy it all.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Vinny0026
                      I totally agree with you - at the end of the day we all just want to see more product and more figures. So it matters not what influences them to make them as long as they continue to do so. So in short get out there and support them - buy more figures and they will continue to bring us more new figures.

So we all love mego - and mego type figures. lets support CTV so they continue to bring us more.
                      I want more... and I'm pretty outspoken in how I think things should be done. As VinMan said though: "It's all in fun"

I mean, I can say anything I think is valuable... but chancesa re, unless many people agree with a sentiment, there ain't gonna be a reaction from a given company FTC or otherwise.

Here's another thing... I don't want to speak for BrownBear, but I claim total ignorance/innocence, as I didn't realize you were HELPING FTC with their packaging development.

For the record, I wouldn't have even bothered uttering a peep on that issue, if I knew better... but, now I do, and I apologize for not knowing any better. I guess I should hang around here more often to understand the more subtle team-ups here, cause, again, I had no idea. (It's also confusing that both Toyroom and FTC's Anthony are "Anthonys").
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

What an exciting time to be a mego collector!! We are all so very lucky to have so many great things on the way.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          It scares me to see all of this shown all at once. I hope they don't start cranking these out so fast no one can keep up, and the quality is phoned in.

Chris
                          I hope they start cranking them out... or something CLOSE to that.

I'm flexible... I've come to terms with the slight differences in FTCs and Mego originals... I've come to terms with being stuck with all Batman characters, and being resigned to that the first new character is the non-superheroed costumed ALFRED... but geez, the Alfred wave isn't even out yet.

If it's cool with everyone else, that's cool... but the longer the line releases are drawn out, the less faith in this line I have.... not for it's success, but for my my interest in it. Thy probably know what they're doing. I mean, I HOPE they know what they're doing.

Still, this is my take on it: If they're stuck with only Batman characters... if they need such a lag time between releases... if they need to rely on the past success of (and the consumer-attractiveness power of) a Batman variant, why not make a third wave of: Alfred, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and RC Batman?

It just seems like molasses to me.... but, I'll try to stay positive.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                            CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                            • May 12, 2011

Bring on the Double Dukes......These guys keep bringing the goods.
                            "JUST 2 GOOD OLE BOYS,NEVER MEANING NO HARM "

Comment

• megoscott
                              Founding Partner
                              • Nov 17, 2006

I'm a tiny bit frightened to see what they do with Star Fire. That character on a Mego Teen Titan body could be really bad.
                              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Vinny0026
                                Year Five!!
                                • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by huedell

Here's another thing... I don't want to speak for BrownBear, but I claim total ignorance/innocence, as I didn't realize you were HELPING FTC with their packaging development.
                                haha - one day we will all have to sit down have a beer and talk.

But again I did not have anything to do with the artwork they picked (CTV) or used, I did not have a say in it.
                                anything he used - him and his team drew and picked out. I believe they have 1 or 2 DC artists on call to help them with their needs.

For the most part this is why they do not use a lot of old or original mego art - not sure they can. That's why most of the art work is new.
                                He just asked me what I thought of the art work he was working on.

I will say this - he has some other art work that I really hope they use down the line.
                                He had for a bruce wayne/ batman 2 pack, and a batman/ joker. the art is pretty amazing. So I would love to see it used down the road.

so at the end of the day
                                for the most part we all love what they are doing - so lets hope for some more great figures and more great ideas.

Would Love to see an Aquaman and White shark remake. Along with tons of never before made mego size figures

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎