Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

We watched TWS Saturday afternoon at the theater and MOS was on Saturday night on HBO. I liked MOS when I first saw it, but when seen back to back there really is no comparison. MOS is exceptionally dour. There were several places where they could have easily injected more "fun" into the dialog or story (that's what made the original Superman with Reeve so enjoyable to me). If the 3rd Cap film and the Batman vs. Superman film do end up being released head to head, I think Cap will win.

Originally posted by MegoSteve
    I just saw the movie tonight so this is the first time I've looked at this thread. This is such an astute observation... one gets the impression that the arrogant corporate types at WB/DC are ashamed of the comics and purposely try to run away from the pulp heritage of the characters when they try to bring them to the mainstream. It is an absolute miracle that we got Justice League Unlimited and the Batman and Superman animated series from them, probably because they see cartoons as low stakes when compared to the movies. They just do not get the characters like the people in charge at Marvel do, and it breaks my heart as a DC fan that I am more entertained by Marvel films, which capture the spirit of the comics, than by DC ones, which just seem flaccid and soulless because they lack the basic foundation the great comics stories provide.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I agree. I still like MOS for what it is, but Cap 2 and Thor 2 have really demonstrated to me what these Nolan-influenced movies are missing. Heart and FUN. You're right, they got close with MOS, but even in it's hopeful moments, it's somewhat maudlin.

I feel Cap 2 one-upped Dark Knight Rises by telling a similar story in feel and not making the audience feel like they just came out of a funeral at the end.

Again, I enjoy those films for what they are, but I have to add that caveat. I don't with these Marvel films. Well, except Iron Man 3.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
        Superman's Pal
        • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by boss
        We watched TWS Saturday afternoon at the theater and MOS was on Saturday night on HBO. I liked MOS when I first saw it, but when seen back to back there really is no comparison. MOS is exceptionally dour. There were several places where they could have easily injected more "fun" into the dialog or story (that's what made the original Superman with Reeve so enjoyable to me). If the 3rd Cap film and the Batman vs. Superman film do end up being released head to head, I think Cap will win.
        Dour is the perfect word to describe the tone of Man of Steel. I think WB/DC is overly afraid to have fun because they're afraid of moving into 1966 Batman TV show territory, but there's a difference between over the top camp and moments of levity.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^ A perfect example of adding humor to an intense moment was when the Falcon leaps out of the crumbling building into the helicopter and tells Fury "I said 41st floor!" and Fury's response "The numbers aren't on the outside of the building!". That didn't take away from the impact of the moment, it made it more memorable. A few little quips would have lightened the mood in MOS quite a bit.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

I totally agree with you guys. MOS was an overkill response to the complaints about the lack of action and campy aspects of Superman Returns. I like the movie for what it got right, but I do hope the WB finds a sweet spot with the tone.

Goyer said in writing the screenplay, he tried to deviate from the obvious. Some of the choices worked, others didn't, but the the dour tone as mentioned above really held the film back.

WB tried to mix in some humor with a serious (for super heroes) story but failed terribly with the Green Lantern film. The script was a mess, the director didn't really get the character and the editor really did a sloppy job of putting it together.

Sometimes the WB's ambition gets in the way of just telling a compelling story with the characters.

Not all of Marvel's films have been great, but they have all been decent and a good time at the movies.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by spacecaps
              As I mentioned in the "I Just Watched Captain America" I wasn't really awed like most of the members here. So someone asked me in that thread to break down what I didn't like about it and here goes...

'Nuff Said.
              Save the last paragraph, I agree with the rest, but I expect non-logic, especially from comic movies. When the political thriller talk first started, it was bound to be a mess because that doesn't gel with physical action. We were told for months about the espionage aspect while now, the writers are saying Feige told them to go as large as possible for the third act. Something has to give to make it work.

Comment

• rchatlin
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 24, 2001

Enjoyed it, but confused by one thing, and hopefully the comic pros can help me out.

Why does SHIELD, a US agency, answer to an International Board of Directors?

r
                o
                b

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by rchatlin
                  Enjoyed it, but confused by one thing, and hopefully the comic pros can help me out.

Why does SHIELD, a US agency, answer to an International Board of Directors?

r
                  o
                  b
                  It's not a US agency but operates under a United Nations charter. However, it's a little murky because at one point SHIELD was dissolved
                  under the authority of the President of the US...
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Another example of that weird "paint-chipped" shield. Either these toy companies were working off VERY early concept art, or someone digitally recolored the shield to it's proper colors throughout the film.

With Captain America: The Winter Soldier number one at the box office, interest in the star-spangled Avenger is at an all-time high! The action-packed thriller sees Captain America teaming up with the Falcon and the Black Widow for one of the toughest battles of his career, and now Diamond Select To

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
                      Superman's Pal
                      • Jun 17, 2005

I didn't pay much attention to the marketing at all, but when I was walking past a theater the other day I saw a poster that had a shield with chipped paint like that. This one:

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I saw that a few months ago before the trailers hit. It'd be interesting to know why they changed from this, in a "Reveng of the Jedi" type of way.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

I'm late to the party, but my son and I just got back from seeing TWS. Wow, we liked it a lot! Very deep, lots of stuff going on. I sorted of hated to see SHIELD fall completely, but hey Marvel isn't holding back any punches in their movies, gotta like that.

I liked Bucky quite a bit and would have liked to have seen more going on between him and Rogers. Looks like that's certainly planned in the future.

Fury sure did rebound quickly from his near death experience I thought. Heck the time between it happening and him jumping off the the chopper at SHIELD HQ wasn't all that long at all.

I think my favorite scene was when Rogers was in the elevator and the guys kept piling on with him. Fun!

My daughter asked about how it was and I think I'll probably take her to see it, and will enjoy seeing it again!
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

Variety is reporting that the Cap movie should win the weekend for the fourth weekend in a row. It might not be a bad idea for Cap 3 or Superman/Batman to move to early April so it will face no competition, rather tha clashing head to head.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^At this point, I think Supes/Bats ought to back off.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• Godzilla
                                Permanent Member
                                • Nov 3, 2002

Our clan finally saw it Friday night and we all loved it. It really felt like a Marvel comic from when I was a kid.

As far as comparisons with Man of Steel, we missed that in the theater but my wife really wanted to see it. We bought the DVD when it came out, put it in ,and turned it off after about 30 minutes. Neither of us has any interest in finishing it. I'm really stunned as a child of the 70s that there's a Superman movie I really just don't care for or about.
                                Mortui Vivos Docent
                                The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎