X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operation:Mego
    I'm the Star Spangled Man
    • May 21, 2011

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - SPOILER THREAD

I'm off to see TWS right now, so for those who have already seen it, be sure to post what you liked, or didn't like, and I will add my thoughts when I return. If you want to read non-spoiler reviews, check out my TWS Pictures thread. Once again, to be absolutely clear, THERE WILL BE MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!! So, what'd you think of the film?
    Last edited by Operation:Mego; Apr 4, '14, 12:03 PM.
    sigpic
    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Really a great movie. An excellent Bloomberg article interviewing Marvel Studio head Kevin Feige said the key to the studio's success is that they are not afraid to rely on the characters and the stories in the comics. Feige said whenever there is a question, they go back to the comics. That's so true with this movie. It's so true to Captain America and SHEILD adventures in the comics, and it works so well.

That article also shows why Marvel has has so much more success than WB/DC in putting their characters and story on the big screen. Marvel believes in its characters and stories, but at their heart WB/DC doesn't.

What's great about this movie is that there is so much character between the action (which is fantastic). You really get to know the characters and their motivations, the good guys and the bad ones.

Captain Ameica in action is really fantastic. They have really brought the Kirby kineticism to life with the action,mand he really uses the sheild as if it is a part of him. Go back and watch any Batman film and compare the fighting to what you see in this film and it looks like Batman is fighting in a tar pit. I know Affleck's suit has already been designed, but WB needs to take some notes.

I may be just excited at the moment, but it's fine movie. Far better than IM3 or Thor DW.

Mackie is solid as Falcon, a nice addition to the MU onscreen Universe and the Winter Soldier is a great conflicted villain. Black Widow is practically a co-star. Johanson's scenes with Evqns are excellent and Fury is in on more action in one scene than we've seen him in all the other films.
    Last edited by madmarva; Apr 5, '14, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
      I'm the Star Spangled Man
      • May 21, 2011

Chris Evans owns the role as Cap. He played the part of the man out of time really well, and had some powerful scene with Bucky too. It was also great to see Cap use his super strength this time. He's able to take out people with a single kick, punch, or shleid bash. Him crashing through those doors and leaping through windows, and landing from 20 foot jumps was all very cool to see.

Sebastian Stan also owned the role of The Winter Soldier; he was fantastic as the merciless killer bad-*** we all know he would be. It was great to see him show a bit of a softer side after seeing Rogers on the street (they even included the famous "Who's Bucky?" line) and then he saves Cap at the end before wandering off (seeing how he's contracted for seven films, I'd say he'd make a reappearance sometime in the future). I wish he had more screen time though, it seemed like he was barely in it.

Mackie was a fun addition as Falcon, providing most of the films laughs. He also got to kick butt as the Falcon too.

Scarlett also provided some laughs, as she constantly tried to set-up Steve with people, and kicked major butt as well, evenb more than in Avengers. Though it's never fully explained how she instantly knew who TWS was (or maybe I just didn't hear her when she did explain it. It's hard to hear over the crying of a two-year old.).

Redford was fantastic as Pierce. He played him with a real coolness about him, even when he had several guns pointed at him. If he hadn't been killed, I would've liked to see him return in a future film.

It did seem like several scenes that were shown in the trailer were cut from the film (like Winter Soldier picking up Cap's shield). I hope that several extended scenes will appear on the DVD/Blu-Ray.

One problem I had was the shaky cam during the fight scenes. It gets better as the film goes on, but it's very noticeable in the beginning, especially during the Lemurian Star fight scenes. I was also surprised that a likable SHIELD agent like Sitwell, was revealed to be a HYDRA agent. I figured it would be brainwashing, like some earlier reports said. They also never fully explain that Barnes had been injected with the Super Soldier serum, explaining his superior strength as well.

And Pierce wasn't Skull in disguise, so those rumors were just based on the toyline featuring Skull. Nor does the track Alexander Pierce is the Red Skull appear on the score. All though he does act like Dell Rusk a bit.

Zola returning by transferring his mind into a supercomputer was pretty cool, that was a nice twist on the comics. I also thought it was cool how his face on the supercomputer strongly resembled how it looked on his robotic body in the comics.

So, SHIELD disbands permanently. Wow. I definitely did not expect that to happen. That should definitely influence the SHIELD show for sure. And everybody goes their own way at the end, kind of like Avengers. I can't wait to see how they'll be brought back together for Age of Ultron, given the first post-credits scene, and recent set pics from AoU.

They also gave some nice fan-nods throughout (which is pretty much expected at this point):

Since Senator Stern is an agent of HYDRA, it implies that the real reason he was after the Iron Man suits was so that HYDRA could make their own.
      Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, and President Ellis are among many others of people targeted.
      Stark oversaw the creation of the repulsor engines on the new helicarriers after "seeing the old turbine engines up close", in The Avengers.
      Avengers Tower is seen as one of the targets of Project Insight.
      Peggy is mentioned as being a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., as seen in the Agent Carter one-shot.
      Howard and Maria Stark were killed by HYDRA after trying to prevent them from getting into S.H.I.E.L.D.
      Bruce Banner and Stephen Strange are considered dangerous.
      Garry Shandling and Jenny Agutter return as their roles from Iron Man 2 and The Avengers
      Silvestri's Cap theme plays several times throughout the film.
      Strucker has Loki's scepter.

And Jackman's score was awesome, providing a great new theme for Cap, and a twisted one for the Winter Soldier. He also delivers and excellent action score (a bit like Man of Steel, but I'm not complaining), and knows when to make it more emotional (like when Cap is fighting Bucky as the hel-carrier is crashing, and when he falls towards into the ocean). It was also cool how he included bits of Silvestri's theme in the beginning.

Overall, TWS is a fantastic movie, filled with tons of twists and excellent action, with amazing performances and a fantastic score. It's definitely tied with Avengers as one of Marvel's best movies.
      sigpic
      The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

It did seem like several scenes that were shown in the trailer were cut from the film (like Winter Soldier picking up Cap's shield). I hope that several extended scenes will appear on the DVD/Blu-Ray.
        Yeah, I'm also thinking there'll be a few deleted sequences included on the Blu-ray.
        Hopefully, anyway.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

It did seem like several scenes that were shown in the trailer were cut from the film (like Winter Soldier picking up Cap's shield
          that was in there. he picked it up when fighting cap in the street.

loved the movie, really well done. they did a great job bringing Falcon to life. who were those characters in the cells after the credits? when they first went to that scene I though that was Red Skull in the hydra uniform

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

also nice that they had Peggy in there, both in flashbacks and with Cap visiting her on her deathbed

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

I think Op:Mego is close to spot-on. I differ on the villains and Scarlett.

The Red Skull thing has been nagging at me. I knew in the beginning Weaving wasn't on board. The word was he has no interest in locking into another decade-long contract after Matrix and LOTR because it forces you to turn down other opportunities. And Redford wasn't going to be Skull because he's way too old to bank on his health. But then the Von Strucker rumors hit, so I started thinking post-credits. Then, the toys came out and that made think he was in third act reveal.

Instead we get nebulous, which works well for HYDRA, but it's left me wondering if they originally planned on Skull, couldn't get Weaving and then opted to re-write with Strucker.

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                who were those characters in the cells after the credits? when they first went to that scene I though that was Red Skull in the hydra uniform
                rather than just tell you (where is the fun in that?) Here are your clues- Twins. One is super fast the other shows some mind control. Their origin is being altered because they can't be connected to Magneto in the movie universe.
                Last edited by Brue; Apr 5, '14, 11:23 AM. Reason: forgot quote

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

thanks Brue. that makes sense. I had thought it might be them but did not recall any connection to hydra in their back story. but if they are cutting the Magneto connection, the altered storyline makes sense

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Brue
                    rather than just tell you (where is the fun in that?) Here are your clues- Twins. One is super fast the other shows some mind control. Their origin is being altered because they can't be connected to Magneto in the movie universe.
                    Is it possible that Marvel may go back to having them to be the kids of the Whizzer?.....or are they just going with something new?

Comment

• madmarva
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jul 7, 2007

Maybe the TV show will become Agents of Hydra.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by madmarva
                        Maybe the TV show will become Agents of Hydra.
                        LMAO!!!!!! that's what i thought

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                          Is it possible that Marvel may go back to having them to be the kids of the Whizzer?.....or are they just going with something new?
                          that would be a really great fix, although, a character with the name Whizzer will be a tough sell with a straight face.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                            OH JES!!
                            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            that would be a really great fix, although, a character with the name Whizzer will be a tough sell with a straight face.
                            lol!! true, but since we live in the day and age of heroes calling themselves by their real names; Robert Frank can be used and Fury can always say he was called the Whizzer as a joke.

How Marvel does not do an Invaders/All Winners squad/Liberty legion is beyond me....I'd love to see a throw back Superhero movie set in the late 40's early 50's

Comment

• madmarva
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jul 7, 2007

^i'd love to see an Invaders movie, but without Torch and Subby, who are licensed to other studios, it wouldn't be the same to me.

I'd like to see Cap and maybe Spitfire and Union Jack vs. Baron Blood.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎