X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

FTC versions vs. Mattel Retro?

There's been a lot of discussion here about DC FTC waves--most of us enjoy speculating about what's next. But should FTC do figures that Mattel already did pretty well, specifically foes?

I liked Mattel's Luthor, Cheetah, Capt. Cold, Two-Face, Black Manta, and Siniestro.

I guess I'd rather see Brainiac, Nubia, Mirror Master, Mr. Freeze, Ocean Master and Star Sapphire than re-workings of Mattel figures.

Of course it depends on personal taste--what do you think?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

I don't see why FTC wouldn't at least try to revisit the figures... I guess it depends on how long the interest in these figures will stay hot... It looks like they have thrown all of their resources into the DC Universe and they expect to be in this for the long haul. So I think they get made and then some.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I skipped Mattel entirely, so for people like me, FTC has a blank canvas. I'd like to see them proceed without any regard to what's been "done".

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

I loved Mattel's retro-action. Darkseid & Two-Face were off the charts for me!

That said, Mattel was still what I'd call re-mego, while FTC are putting out mego.

I'd like them to do Flash in more of a traditional mego style.

Overall, I'd rather them focus on the characters Mattel didn;t get to like Bizarro & pink Brainac, etc.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• drogge
          Career Member
          • Jul 24, 2009

I would rather have new figures, and not reproductions of the Mattel line. This as a time to be creative and show the fans FTC is in this for the long haul. At least give us a "new take" on the already produced Mattel line.
          Here are my must haves
          The Rogue Gallery (Mirror Master, Reverse Flash, Boomerang, Grod,and more!)
          Dr Fate, Hawkman and Hawkgirl
          Mera, Black Canary, and Lois Lane
          Atom. Plastic Man, Elongated Man
          Numerous Batman villians- so many to name.
          Steve Trevor, Wonder Woman's mom Hippolyta, and her as Diana Prince, Wonder Woman early 70's - no powers with I Chang
          Bizzaro, Brainiac,
          Star Starfire, Green Lantern alien assortment.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

I bought my Mattel figure off of Amazon when they were discounted. So it was worth it when I just replaced the figures with mego bodies. So for me I would not need FTC redoes unless they just look better or different.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

personally, I won't repurchase figures I just did a few years ago.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

We're beginning to see some value in ReMego's like DST Trek, Dark Shadows, Buck Rogers and CAW Phantom. If FTC held off on certain characters that could be expanded to include RA designs which would be great for the larger community. For example, if the only way to complete LOD was with RA Luthor, Manta and Sinestro, not just do their prices go up on the secondary market, but it's going to incentivize people to buy during the initial release instead of waiting to see if the line survives. IMO, this has been the hugest hurdle for ReMego's sustainability.

They need to finish Challenge o/t Superfriends, and Bizarro is a perfect fit for FTC's production model since he's more of a tweak than totally new build.

I will say I have no interest in any new figure on Shorty Muscle bodies if it doesn't fit scale. So like Etrigan would be cool, but not Grodd or Grundy.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ FTC has Scarecrow on the way for LOD, too. That just leaves Brainiac, Bizarro Toyman, Grodd, Grundy and Giganta
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

To me the Mattel villains were better looking than most of the heroes. I think FTC was wise to choose Ras Al Ghul and Scarecrow to produce in wave 4 rather than do another Two Face. Likewise, following a similar plan of producing Bizzaro, Brianiac and Toyman before Luthor might be wise. But if the line is runs for a while, then I would expect such key villains as Luthor and Two Face to be done by FTC.

I agree the short muscle bodies don't do much for me. I'm not saying I absolutely wouldn't buy a Grodd, Darkseid or Grundy on that body, but I know I would buy them on an 8.5" or 9" body and probably an 8". Same for Hulk and Thing and Thanos if FTC or another company gets thenMarvel license.

As for GL, Flash, Captain Marvel and Aquaman, the Mattel figures were decent but not home runs in my book. If FTC produces a better looking figure, I'll get them. If not, we'll see.

I've yet to buy any of the FTC figures, but I'm looking forward to the Titans, 66 Batman, Batgirl (wanting to make a Hellcat custom)' Alfred and Gordon. I'll likely go back and buy the others at some point.
                    Last edited by madmarva; Mar 30, '14, 2:10 PM.

Comment

• megonaught
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 29, 2008

I want them done in the mego way.
                      To me the the mattel line while was part of the restart wasnt Mego but FTC is most defintly New Mego.
                      Something 10 years ago never thought would happen.
                      Action Jackson is his name.
                      Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                        GLOWS in the Dark!
                        • May 3, 2006

Sure they should. FTC are doing new figures that look like they could have come from Mego. Nothing against the Mattel figures, but I personally never liked them. They were just too far off from the original style for me. They reminded me of Famous Covers or something more than Mego.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 29, 2007

FTC figures are seriously kicking butts, Mattel Retro Action figures included. Alfred Pennyworth (FTC Batman wave #3), Jim Gordon (FTC Batman wave #4) and the FTC TV Batman figures already top any Mattel rendition. Sorry Mattel, no contest here!

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                            • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                            Sure they should. FTC are doing new figures that look like they could have come from Mego. Nothing against the Mattel figures, but I personally never liked them. They were just too far off from the original style for me. They reminded me of Famous Covers or something more than Mego.
                            Agree with this completely.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                              Yes. Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎