Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Could Only Keep One....Superman or Batman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

People can relate to Batman more easily. The loss of your parents is obviously a common theme between the two, but the concept of seeing them murdered resonates a lot more than "My planet was detroyed shortly after my parents plopped my infant *** in a spaceship". We all want to be Superman, we can all see ourselves as Batman. Not to mention he gets away with things we all feel, opposed to being limited to the strictr moral code placed upon Supes.

Be a reporter who's main goal in life is to protect an annoying woman who treats you like crap and gets herself in impossibly ridiculous situations, and can do virtually anything he wants... OR..

Be a Playboy millionaire with all the best things in life, woman falling at their feet for him, is knowledgeable in all subjects and specialities, and is among the most fit and physically able people on the planet...

Bye Bye Superman.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

Bye Batman

Superman (and Supergirl) will be my number one til the day I die. I am not getting this tattoo removed.

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

Ugh, that's hard. My favorite boyhood superhero (Supes) or my favorite from my twenties (Bats). I think Superman has to stay, though I might change my mind. Thank god, you didn't throw Spidey in to the mix.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Rob Britannicus
          I thought that the Crimson Avenger was the first, Superman only leant the genre his name.
          Nope, Crimson Avenger first appeared in Detective Comics #20 (October 1938). Superman already had debuted in Action #1 (June 1938). Crimson Avenger beats Batman though by 7 issues.
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Megotu
            jerk
            • Dec 16, 2001

Well...If I actually lived in a city protected by either one of them, I would pick Superman as the keeper. I would not live in Gotham. No way. Nuh-uh.
            You could NEVER drink the water. You couldn't even shower with it. Even the underarm deodorant has been weaponized.
            screw that.
            sigpic

Comment

• Surfsup
              Silver Chrome Dome
              • Dec 2, 2005

Definately Superman, the character is boring and for the life of me, I can't see why he's so popular.

Batman on the other hand has an edge and has a far more interesting set up and character's. The villains alone are some of the most colourful ever created.

Comment

• number 6
                Village Idiot
                • Jul 10, 2003

I'd hate to see either go.

But if I was pushed, I'd have to say Superman.

I love Superman in theory. I really enjoyed Alex Ross's treatment of him in Kingdom Come.

But the vast majority of Superman stories aren't like that. And I find I just don't enjoy them as much as Batman.

Comment

• Flynne
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jan 22, 2003

It strikes me that the answers to this question seem to bear a resemblance to "Why do good girls date bad boys?" - When given the choice between the straight laced boy scout - solid, reliable, and guaranteed to meet their needs - or the troubled, brooding bad boy - breaks laws, rides a motorcycle, and emotionally incapable of commitment - so many go girls for the bad boy. Sound familiar? Sure they want marry Superman - eventually - but they also want to date Batman for a while first.

For myself - If I answered this question a decade ago, I would have said keep Batman. However, as I've gotten older, and my outlook has been irrevocably altered by world events, I've developed a new appreciation for Superman and how much it would mean to the World to really have someone like him, and how much someone would have to sacrifice in order to do it. With regard to the comics being boring or the character of Superman being one dimensional - I think the one thing his comics have consistently lacked for years that the Batman comics have not is decent writing.

The World has scores of vigilantes, but it really needs the Big Blue Boy Scout. Keep Superman.
                  An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• number 6
                    Village Idiot
                    • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by Flynne
                    - I think the one thing his comics have consistently lacked for years that the Batman comics have not is decent writing.
                    Yeah, that's my thing. The core concept of Superman I love.

But after tons of stories about 'what if Superman and Lois were married', 'what if Superman got split 4 ways', 'what if Jimmy Olsen had 2 heads', etc. I have to wonder is that really worth keeping? It's just a bunch of outlandish stuff that in the end 'doesn't count' continuity wise anyway.

Some better writing and yeah, I would probably pick Superman.

Comment

• Wolverine1969
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 7, 2005

I grew up a Superman fan. After college I started reading Batman more and really developed an appreciation for the character. So much that I consider myself more a Batman fan than Superman. So I would have to go with Batman.
                      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

Not a really big fan of either Supes or Bats....I am a HUGE fan of the original JSA. If it was up to me Supes and Bats could both be dropped...as long as you don't touch All-Star Comics(Original JSA) then I'm Happy.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

But how do you like your JSA? With Golden Age Superman or Golden Age Batman?
                          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jayihdz
                            aaaggghhhh!
                            • Mar 6, 2007

Composite Superman Batman....problem solved...

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Grant Morrison is one of my favourite writers and it's great to see him penning both Superman and Batman these days. I have to say that I'm actually enjoying All Star Superman much more than his run on Batman (although they are both excellent). All Star Superman just seems to be stuffed full of imagination and innovative ideas.

In terms of putting Superman back into the A-list, I think the creative team of Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch could prove to be magical if they were handed Superman. Millar's Superman Red Son was an excellent compelling take on Superman and Luthor that felt as classic as anything since the Crisis on Infinite Earth reboot and no one does wide screen action like Hitch.

Alternately, I know it will never happen but Alan Moore was born to write the Silver Age Superman. Just look at the two classic stories Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and For the Man Who Has Everything. Not to mention his loving tribute to the Silver Age Supes using Liefeld's Supreme character.
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• YANOULI
                                Part-Time Timelord
                                • Jan 9, 2006

Get rid of Superman.
                                " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎