X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MegoScott
    Certain people are harder to nail than others, for whatever reason it just never clicks. Like there are very few Harrison Ford sculpts that really do him right in my opinion, and how many times has it been attempted? Maybe Gorshin is that way, I have no idea. Others are much easier because they have really specific details that sell the likeness. Someone like the Joker or Penguin has a lot of unusual things you hang hang your hat on, odd noses or crazy hairdos, Gorshin is one of those distinctive faces but also is just an average white guy. I don't love their Ward/Robin either, same deal, average white guy with no real distinguishing characteristics.
    Exactly....and likenesses are subjective to both the artist and the viewer. I had a brilliant art teacher who once performed an experiment to show us the subjective nature of capturing a likeness. He brought in about a dozen different old Star Trek paperback books with painted portraits of Kirk on them. Each and every one was recognizable as Shatner, yet NONE of them looked even close to each other. It was a real eye opener as to how the human eye perceives likenesses.

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Certain people are harder to nail than others, for whatever reason it just never clicks. Like there are very few Harrison Ford sculpts that really do him right in my opinion, and how many times has it been attempted? Maybe Gorshin is that way, I have no idea. Others are much easier because they have really specific details that sell the likeness. Someone like the Joker or Penguin has a lot of unusual things you hang hang your hat on, odd noses or crazy hairdos, Gorshin is one of those distinctive faces but also is just an average white guy. I don't love their Ward/Robin either, same deal, average white guy with no real distinguishing characteristics.
      I agree with this Scott! But can't agree with Hue's "sculpt-accuracy thing shouldn't make or break sales." Because for me it totally does. If a company wants to earn my money they have to get it right. But hey...FTC will still be getting plenty of money from me(I'm buying doubles on some figures)it just wont be from any bad sculpts they put out.
      sigpic

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
        I agree with this Scott! But can't agree with Hue's "sculpt-accuracy thing shouldn't make or break sales." Because for me it totally does.
        Hey, if it actually *does* make or break the line, I'll concede And I'd say that if I was to buy it, it'd be more for the tribute to the character in a cool toy line rather than a great sculpt likeness. There are many positive things to say about the line's style as far as figure manufacturing that the Gorshin figure integrates, and for some (not everybody), that "list of technical things they got right" may do the trick of being more of a "positive" for the line than a "negative", even when conceding the sculpt likeness is "meh".

That sculpt may not look a lot like what we'd appreciate as "Gorshin" but my *hope* is that because it was released at an appropriate time early in the line, and is such a beloved era of the character represented, that that would float sales more than say releasing Comissioner Gordon in his place (a character that is essential, but could be waited on a bit methinks) despite anything directly having to do with "likeness" being, admittedly a notable factor (just not OVERLY notable).
        Last edited by huedell; Mar 23, '14, 5:26 PM.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Hue, I'm proud of you...that was a fairly short post for you. In the end, it's just my opinion anyway...but that's what these Forums are for right? But what really speaks volumes are the wallet.
          sigpic

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
            • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by huedell
            Hey, if it actually *does* make or break the line, I'll concede And I'd say that if I was to buy it, it'd be more for the tribute to the character in a cool toy line rather than a great sculpt likeness. There are many positive things to say about the line's style as far as figure manufacturing that the Gorshin figure integrates, and for some (not everybody), that "list of technical things they got right" may do the trick of being more of a "positive" for the line than a "negative", even when conceding the sculpt likeness is "meh".

That sculpt may not look a lot like what we'd appreciate as "Gorshin" but my *hope* is that because it was released at an appropriate time early in the line, and is such a beloved era of the character represented, that that would float sales more than say releasing Comissioner Gordon in his place (a character that is essential, but could be waited on a bit methinks) despite anything directly having to do with "likeness" being, admittedly a notable factor (just not OVERLY notable).
            If you're paying $200 for a Hot Toys version, they better nail the sculp. When the price is a tenth of that, people are typically a bit more forgiving. Typically

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

The following quote comes from one of Mego's lead sculptors, he sculpted likenesses like Dobey and Huggy Bear.

At the time, there was no adult market out there. Naturally we were all grown ups and looking at the pictures and the characters, but they weren't supposed to be little super real portraits, they were really just toys. The medium itself was the toy medium.
              That's Mego style to me.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Like there are very few Harrison Ford sculpts that really do him right in my opinion, and how many times has it been attempted?
                Easily hundreds and I, personally, think they've only really totally nailed it once. The original 12 inch Kenner one.

In comparison there's now two Gorshin Riddlers I know of and the Mattel Riddler didn't exactly look like him either.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                  The following quote comes from one of Mego's lead sculptors, he sculpted likenesses like Dobey and Huggy Bear.

That's Mego style to me.
                  Ah, but look at what a great job Mego did at capturing real people's likeness's. But more than that, their personalities and emotions into the sculpts...STAR TREK anyone? The Mego Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty were INCREDIBLE!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
                    Ah, but look at what a great job Mego did at capturing real people's likeness's. But more than that, their personalities and emotions into the sculpts...STAR TREK anyone? The Mego Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty were INCREDIBLE!!
                    Mego's Scotty : James Doohan :: FTC's Riddler : Frank Gorshin

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      I still want you to show me one with the correct slippers, everything I see are with classic Mego black shoes.
                      My mistake I was just looking at the soles and not the sides.You're right just classic black.
                      I like your idea of robin cut downs.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

I think a lot comes down to expectations, if the expectation is really high then they are going to miss the mark on some characters and some accessories. Personally my expectation for FTC was pretty dang low, even compared to the original Megos which had some good sculpts and some not so good sculpts. My expectation for FTC was essentially cheap crappola knock-offs. I was amazingly suprised at what they have done. To me, they are a very close 2nd to the original DC Mego stuff, if they fixed the arm issues and the rubber bands... they to me, would be equal and in some cases, like the Batman 66 line quite ahead of the original Megos. So, from this perspective, I think while the Gorshin and Robin sculpts are not as good as their Joker or Batman sculpts, the figures are quite amazing all things considered. I mean who here can honestly say that they foresaw a day where the community would be this buzzed about FTC?

I also agree that some characters are just a lot harder to sculpt, I love to draw people and have done some sculpting in the past. There are some people with certain distinguishing characteristics I could nail flawlessly and others I just couldn't get. A lot of it has to do with others have said, if someone is very plain looking then you have to capture very subtle features to generate the likeness.. very tough.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• captact
                          King of Super Queens!
                          • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                          My mistake I was just looking at the soles and not the sides.You're right just classic black.
                          I like your idea of robin cut downs.
                          You know what? I luv the idea!!! Will do the same with some Repro Robin shoes too!! Awesome idea !!!!
                          Last edited by captact; Mar 28, '14, 1:30 AM.

Comment

• drmego
                            EMCE Toys
                            • Jun 15, 2001

"At the time, there was no adult market out there. Naturally we were all grown ups and looking at the pictures and the characters,
                            but they weren't supposed to be little super real portraits, they were really just toys. The medium itself was the toy medium."

This is something that is not really understood by some people. Toys don't have to be slavishly accurate because it's art and
                            disposable art at that - at least when MEGO was making these.
                            www.drmego.com
                            www.megoman.com
                            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• mego73
                              Printed paperboard Tiger
                              • Aug 1, 2003

That is why I am more interested in these figures having the Mego aesthetic then being slavishly accurate. In other words it look like Frank Gorshin enough for me.

Originally posted by drmego
                              "At the time, there was no adult market out there. Naturally we were all grown ups and looking at the pictures and the characters,
                              but they weren't supposed to be little super real portraits, they were really just toys. The medium itself was the toy medium."

This is something that is not really understood by some people. Toys don't have to be slavishly accurate because it's art and
                              disposable art at that - at least when MEGO was making these.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Agreed. I've never felt that 8 inch was the format for hyper accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎