Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Star Wars and no more colorful shirts were the two deal breakers for me (Hey, I was 8 years old!)... as an adult, it still doesn't catch me, and, frankly, neither do the others w/the original crew all that much really---
    ---except ST6: TUC.... and I actually liked Kirk and the rest of the old-guard in ST7 (although, you don't have to tell me public opinion is in conflict with giving ST7 it's props).
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• kisstour03
      • Feb 28, 2014

I watched TMP for the first time in years a couple of months ago. I liked it better than I ever had before. I think the last time I saw it I was in my mid teens. It has it's flaws for sure but there's enough there I'll watch it again sometime this year when I go on a Trek binge.
      Toys and comics. My house isn't big enough. It's an addiction.

Comment

• Godzilla
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 3, 2002

I've never understood the hate for III either. I find it a solid action/ adventure and to follow killing Spock by killing the ship was a tremendous move.

Like everyone I have fond memories of TMP but I understand its flaws. I still enjoy watching it for what it it, but it is certainly slow.
        Mortui Vivos Docent
        The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          After suffering through TMP, my son said I owed him a viewing of Wrath of Khan. And hey, when your 12 year old ASKS to watch classic Trek with you, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

So we watched not only II, but III today. I think III is vastly under appreciated. I mean, II deserves every ounce of praise it gets, and it probably is the best of all the Trek films, but III is a solid follow-up. And as I said earlier, it's got a special place in my Trek-lovin' heart for being my first in the theater. Whenever I watch the Enterprise death scene, I'm immediately transported back to 1984, I'm 9 years old again, and my Dad lowly utters "DAMN" as the Enterprise carcass careens through the sky.

Chris
          HA HA AH I did the same thing I binged on 2-4 last night with my Daughter.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^Awesome! My 6-year old daughter was in and out, but watched most of both movies. She hid her eyes during the Ceti eel scenes.

We'll probably watch IV and V soon. Andrew watched VI recently, but he's never seen V. Despite it's crappy effects and rambling ending, I still like V for it's character bits.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I like STIII. I think it's fun and I liked the return of the Klingons.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I keep putting off Trek movies for my daughter. She's ten now, but has a low tolerance for the talky-talky.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

One more thought on TMP I failed to mention; Cindy verbalized something I had noticed, "Dang, Decker needs a CUP!". Yes, HD TV and DVD clarity can have it's downsides, folks.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

LOL!

"Viewer off..... VIEWER OFF!" (My favorite Shatner line, cut from the Director's Edition).

Comment

• mego73
                      Printed paperboard Tiger
                      • Aug 1, 2003

Yes, I have commented before on the little poker before.

One more thought on TMP I failed to mention; Cindy verbalized something I had noticed, "Dang, Decker needs a CUP!". Yes, HD TV and DVD clarity can have it's downsides, folks.

Chris

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        Alan Scott is the best GL
                        • Aug 8, 2007

Chris
                        you can tell when a scene was shot based on whether or not the man is in the suit with a pajama top flap or not, after the inital filming the cosutmes were redesigned to have the shirt tails

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I have always liked this movie. maybe because I was 7 when it came out and it was the first new Trek in years and there were even cool new toys. I have the directors cut with the enhanced visual effects and I think it is a really good movie. yes it has it flaws, but so does every other Trek movie when you come right down to it. I usually fast forward through all the long exterior shots of the enterprise but otherwise I really like the movie. there is great interaction between the big 3 and even the rest of the cast. we get to see Janice Rand again too (always had a crush on her)
                          it's light years better than V. that movie while having a few good moments, really has major flaws. but still, it is classic Trek and I love it for what it is.

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                            House of a thousand Megos
                            • Aug 10, 2009

When this movie came out I too was 5 and it got me into Megos and always watching reruns of TOS on TV 23. When TMP came out you could go about anywhere and find 8 inch Trek Mego and TMP 3.75 inch figures which I Loved and still Love. My only gripe from this movie is the lack of using TOS uniforms.
                            Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

TMP is a really good movie. It keeps getting better over the years. So many great things came from it.

I love the old Mego bridge, but the 1979 bridge actually looks like the movie bridge, aside from that docking port door, that I used to think a ship was going to be made to dock with it, like the Vulcan shuttle!

I also enjoyed reading the TMP photo-novel.

Comment

• mego73
                                Printed paperboard Tiger
                                • Aug 1, 2003

TMP merchandising is replete with earlier designs, some from Phase 2. The docking port on the bridge was seen in production illustrations. The South Bend Enterprise follows the Phase 2 Enterprise design.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎