Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entertainment Earth has pics of Steve Austin in Astronaut outfit!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpaceAgent
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 21, 2009

Got these today; very nice work. The Astronaut Steve in particular is great, maybe the best in the entire line.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
      Radioactive!
      • Feb 13, 2010

Has there been any explanation from BBP as to why their promised resized sculpt for astronaut Steve fell through?

The scale issues on this line absolutely killed it for me: Oscar, Bigfoot and the Fembot look excellent, and Barney's head size seems okay, but Steve's oversized mellon looks awful alongside them, and most other Mego and ReMego figures.

I know I'm harping on this, but I went ahead and bought the Astronaut Steve and Barney because of Jason's assurance that the scale problem with Steve's head had been corrected. Whenever BBP found out about this, they should have let the folks here who inquired about it know as soon as possible. It seems likely to me that BBP knew this and said nothing as to not jeopardize sales, and that is a poor business practice. This is not personal, but as a customer I do not appreciate being deceived.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ I think there was some misperception on what Jason said. Last October Jason wrote this...

Originally posted by BifBangPow! JLabs
        Technically it's not Maskatron - it's Mr. X. Robot. Mr. X Robot is planned to be sold with a revised head and outfit Steve Austin (with even cooler bionics).
        Note he's referring to a bonus head that would come with the now defunct Mr. X Robot figure. When he was asked if the revision was a new sculpt or a different size, he said different size. I think everyone ran with that as pertaining to the astronaut figure. It wasn't. It was for the Mr. X Robot figure. I went through other threads and that was not really brought up again, so I don't believe Jason was trying to deceive anyone. Yes, I think it could have been said better, but I don't think there was any intent to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. There's no upside to that. I DO think it is an improved figure though. The head color looks much better, so that helps. I might switch him out so that color tone can be on display and put the pale faced version inside the helmet.

Comment

• Chris
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
          ^^^ I think there was some misperception on what Jason said. Last October Jason wrote this...
          I too thought Steve's head would be re-sized. Oh, well. It looks fine in the helmet and on the card.
          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
            Radioactive!
            • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by BifBangPow! JLabs
            BSG will end after Athena and Lucifer ships. SMDM line will end after Astronaut Steve (with smaller head) and Barney Hiller ships.
            The quote makes it clear that Jason was referring to the Astronaut Steve figure---not Mr. X

Nothing personal, but I wouldn't have ordered the set if BBP had been upfront about the head scale issue.
            Last edited by Krypt0nite; Oct 17, '14, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ That's a crystal clear qoute, so you're right Krypt0nite. Thanks for posting that. I think Jason should probably clarify why that didn't happen.

Comment

• BifBangPow! JLabs
                Career Member
                • Dec 21, 2009

Steve Austin Head Sizes Compare.jpg

Hi everyone! I've attached this image to demonstrate that according to our measurements, the Astronaut Steve head is smaller than the original one. Can you verify the size of your Astronaut Steve head? We want to make sure our products were consistently produced.
                Co-founder, BifBangPow!
                bifbangpow.com
                twitter.com/bifbangpow

Comment

• pmwasson
                  Maker
                  • Sep 12, 2007

Cool picture! I think the Astronaut Steve looks great!
                  sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by pmwasson
                    Cool picture! I think the Astronaut Steve looks great!
                    Me too. Can't wait to get mine.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                      Radioactive!
                      • Feb 13, 2010

Mine arrived today.

Overall this is a huge disappointment.

If there is any size difference between the first and second sculpt, it is not visible to the naked eye when viewing them side by side. The skin color is better, but the paint apps on the eyes and eyebrows make figure look much more like George W. Bush than Lee Majors. Total fail.

The space suit is well done and it's bulk helps mitigate Steve's oversized head a bit.

His entire right arm and entire legs are clear, and look nice. Weirdly, his left arm is also clear but has been sloppily painted flesh tone. No swivels on the biceps.

Barney has a nice sculpt that captures Monte Markham well, though is very pale. His eyes are painted with a black dot in a white oval, and is too simplistic given the level of detail on his face. His track suit is well done and fits nicely.

If I hadn't pre-ordered, this would have been a total pass.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

An awful lot of negative feedback on these guys and I was looking forward to them. Could someone please post some decent pics so we can see what the fuss is all about?

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I just shot a bunch of photos showing new Steve next to old Steve. I also lined them up nose to nose, chin to chin. I shot each head with measuring tape, old and new (length, width, and from profile). I should note through the process my old Steve's body broke and his right bionic arm and leg came off (not the new one). Rudy Wells has been called in for emergency bionic surgery. Anyway I took these on my wife's new mini-pad. As soon as she has it set up to email the pics, I will share. Long story short, it's the same head. I should note I like these new figures, so I have no axe to grind with Jason on anything. But if we're going to split hairs over suggesting there IS a size difference, when the naked eye can see there isn't, I'm all in for the Pepsi challenge. Once again, I like these figures and I'm grateful to Jason for making them, but whoever sold him on the idea these heads are different... well... Jason? They fed you bad info. Pics to follow.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                            Still Old School
                            • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                            As soon as she has it set up to email the pics, I will share. Pics to follow.
                            Thanks my friend.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

A nose to nose profile shot (New Steve left, Old Steve right) is already telling.

New Steve head length measure...

Old Steve head length measure...

New Steve profile measure...

Old Steve profile measure...

New Steve width...

Old Steve width...

Dressed side by side... Old Steve left, new Steve right...

A few of these were taken with my cell while the crisper shots came from my wife's new mini-tablet. But the scale similarities are right there. I can't capture any measurements that indicate these two heads have any differences in scale. And as I have said previously, I'm fine with that since having a bunch of figures with all different head scales tends to hurt the line instead of help it. But to say this head is in fact smaller is not an accurate statement.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

One noticeable improvement is the skin tone. I think, as with even the Mattel RA figure, that too-pale vinyl washes out the detailing of the sculpts.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎