Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entertainment Earth has pics of Steve Austin in Astronaut outfit!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    One noticeable improvement is the skin tone. I think, as with even the Mattel RA figure, that too-pale vinyl washes out the detailing of the sculpts.
    Agreed. I did notice his eye brows got kind of a Playing Mantis, Captain Action treatment. Odd... But the warmer flesh tone really gives the figure a nicer look. I think I'll end up doing some customizing on the eye brows which will flush out the sculpt. I think the sculpt is there, it's just the factory paints hurting it. That was the same scenarion EMCE had with their Strange/Frankenstein. Once I did the repaints, it looked like an entirely different figure. I think the same will play out here.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by BifBangPow! JLabs
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]12968[/ATTACH]

Hi everyone! I've attached this image to demonstrate that according to our measurements, the Astronaut Steve head is smaller than the original one. Can you verify the size of your Astronaut Steve head? We want to make sure our products were consistently produced.
      less than 2mm is not that big of a difference.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Boywonder0
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 29, 2007

Thanks for the great review Tom! I just can't understand what happened to poor Steve... All other figures from this line came out great...

BBP/EMCE just played a bad joke to the main character... His huge noggin is a problem but even worst is that his head sculpt is completely off. He doesn't look anything like Lee Majors and now that I see him in an astronaut suit I think I can just re-card him as a Moonraker Roger Moore figure...

Comment

• tllgn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2010

i like this figure ,i bought 2 sets ,the three Rudy heads were the worst-way to big.

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

Thanks Tom. Those pics really show the heads are the same size, but with a much improved skin tone and paint aps.
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Krypt0nite
              Radioactive!
              • Feb 13, 2010

A more cynical mind might imagine that BBP lied about a smaller head sculpt just to goose sales on disappointing figure.

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

Not any smaller to my eyes; so much for picking up extras. And the paint is so off, especially with the eyebrows. His iconic look is with the one eyebrow slightly raised and the opposite eye squinting a little; just adjusting the eyebrows to be straighter would go a long way towards fixing the likeness.

Comment

• Jason73
                  Correctamundo!
                  • Jan 11, 2009

Thanks for posting the comparison pics. I was all in on this line, but I'm not really sure I want this last set.
                  Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                    Radioactive!
                    • Feb 13, 2010

Scott, you're absolutely right about the paint and his eyebrows: mine looks more like George W. Bush than Lee Majors.

Comment

• tllgn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 6, 2010

^^now every time i look at this figure,this thought will come to mind.i thought capt action looked like bush ,now poor steve.

Comment

• Bionic Chris
                        • May 21, 2014

Originally posted by MIB41
                        ^^^ I think there was some misperception on what Jason said. Last October Jason wrote this...

Originally Posted by BifBangPow! JLabs
                        Technically it's not Maskatron - it's Mr. X. Robot. Mr. X Robot is planned to be sold with a revised head and outfit Steve Austin (with even cooler bionics).
                        Note he's referring to a bonus head that would come with the now defunct Mr. X Robot figure. When he was asked if the revision was a new sculpt or a different size, he said different size. I think everyone ran with that as pertaining to the astronaut figure. It wasn't. It was for the Mr. X Robot figure. I went through other threads and that was not really brought up again, so I don't believe Jason was trying to deceive anyone. Yes, I think it could have been said better, but I don't think there was any intent to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. There's no upside to that. I DO think it is an improved figure though. The head color looks much better, so that helps. I might switch him out so that color tone can be on display and put the pale faced version inside the helmet.

I think what Jason meant is Mr. X Robot will be paired with a new Steve Austin with revised head and cooler bionics. You know how these were released in pairs, so Mr. X Robot + new Steve Austin. I REALLY wish Mr. X Robot would have been released to complete the line. And I'm really curious what BBP had in mind for this other version of Steve Austin. Can you let us know, Jason, what you had in mind, especially the "cooler bionics"?

I'm disappointed Barney Hiller doesn't have bionic imprints on his legs and arms. So I'll just leave him in the package, no need to buy an extra one now to check out his bionics. Regardless, I'm still glad The Seven Million Dollar Man was made along with Astronaut Steve... thanks BBP!
                        Last edited by Bionic Chris; Oct 23, '14, 8:29 PM.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                          Radioactive!
                          • Feb 13, 2010

It's too bad BBP didn't do what they said they were doing on the smaller head for astronaut Steve---I would have bought multiples to replace the giant noggins of the earlier releases.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                            Still Old School
                            • Feb 14, 2008

Mine are on route to me and I can't wait to see Barney.

Comment

• Bionic Chris
                              • May 21, 2014

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
                              The space suit is well done and it's bulk helps mitigate Steve's oversized head a bit.

His entire right arm and entire legs are clear, and look nice. Weirdly, his left arm is also clear but has been sloppily painted flesh tone. No swivels on the biceps.
                              Hmm... Astronaut Steve's right and left arms are clear (before left got painted)? I wonder if his limbs were meant for Barney Hiller, and factory screwed up? In TV show, The Seven Million Dollar Man has 2 bionic arms and 2 bionic legs.

If anyone can post pics of Astronaut Steve's limbs, it would be much appreciated. Could be one reason this set got delayed, they had to go back and paint the left arm flesh tone since Steve doesn't have 2 bionic arms, but Barney does.
                              Last edited by Bionic Chris; Oct 23, '14, 9:27 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                                Still Old School
                                • Feb 14, 2008

Mine arrived yesterday. The astronaut looks amazing! The head looks so much better with the proper pigment. Very happy with him.
                                Barney looks like crap. His head is pale white with little dots for pupils. If you look close, he's cockeyed. Lol
                                His pants are too high which wouldn't be bad if he had socks. And his left arm hangs down kind of funny. Anyone who craps all over quality issues at FTC should look at this one.
                                I'm considering repainting the head myself.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎