Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC once again trumps Marvel in the toy dept!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

DC once again trumps Marvel in the toy dept!

I'm continually amazed at how much better DC toys have always been than Marvel's offerings.
    DC fans are the luckiest action figure folks hands down, with DC besting Marvel in every incarnation going back decades.

1960's Captain Action...more figures than Marvel including Action Boy as Robin
    1970's Mego...more figures than Marvel in every format including Alter Egos and Teen Titans
    1980's Super Powers...three times the figures of Marvel's Secret Wars. Better sculpting/paint, power-action features and mini comics? No contest.
    1990's DC Direct vs. Toybiz and Marvel Select...hundreds more figures, artist specific sculpts from Carmine Infantino, Alex Ross, Curt Swan, George Perez, Jack Kirby, etc.
    2000's DC Universe Classics vs. Marvel Legends...300+ figures all sculpted in the same style with consistent articulation.
    2010's Mattel Retro-Action and FTC Worlds Greatest Heroes vs. the ghost of Famous Covers. Again, no contest.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I would say in the early 90s, Marvel was the winner, at least in character selection. The Batman/DC Super Heroes line from Toy Biz paled to their Marvel Super Heroes line of the next year. And then Toy Biz really got rolling. They made nearly every conceivable Marvel character under the sun, whereas Kenner (and later Hasbro) wouldn't even give us Flash or Dr. Fate in the STAS line.

Of course BTAS was the crown jewel of Kenner's 90s output, and it is one of the best toylines of all time, but the other DC characters weren't getting much love, compared to Marvel at Toy Biz.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

^I thought about that too, but then as you say I remembered Batman TAS, but there was also Superman TAS, all the various Batman movie lines, Total Justice, and JLU which ran for almost ten years and made pretty much everybody.

Comment

• Battoys
        • Dec 1, 2013

Had this made about 14yrs ago
        Fig was made by Xenophon from the old RTM board
        Insert was made by Airmax

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

I would say the 90s were close to a tie.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

say what you will about Famous Covers, that line sure beat Hasbro's Dc 9 inch line for characters produced. Hasbro did get head sculpts that weren't Rob Liefeld-ized, tho
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎