• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Star Trek Aliens outfit cleaning?

After time, patients, and much much saving up, I finally collected all 8
    original mego star trek aliens, (loose) the only repro parts are the Romulan helmet
    and boots.

I would though like to clean the following, Andorian bodysuit and Mugato shirt.
    the shirt does have some of that yellow fade, not sure if I can clean it? the Andorian
    bodysuit has some minor dirt marks, not bad but noticeable, same goes for my Talos
    yellow bodysuit.

I thought about throwing them in the laundry and washing it that way, but afraid
    I might ruin the outfits, washing seperatley with soap and water somehow doesn't
    seem the right idea either, so I wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions on the best
    way to clean those and the best products to use?

a very BIG thanks on any help!
  • Wasimhosen
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 23, 2011

I've heard people have luck with woolite.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Sounds fine, could give it a try, but can they get thrown in with regular laundry?
      not to sound dumb.

Comment

• Wasimhosen
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 23, 2011

I would hand wash. Once those hit the spin cycle who knows what could happen if they get caught on the auger or something.

Comment

• skullface
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 29, 2012

I used to wash a lot of gi joe cloths about 20 years ago. I would be a lot more carefull with mego stuff. The very bright colors might not be as color fast.
          I would hand wash in cool water with woolite. On whites I would sometimes use a color safe bleach. When I did so I would then rinse them and then place item in a cup of water with an alacaslacer (SP) the bubbles seem to help clean and get all the bleach out. My friend used this trick on all kinds of stuff not just whites,but I cleaned so much stuff back then it was starting to get pricey,so I just did it with whites.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Gentle hand washing in tepid water, using Woolite or actually dish-soap works well. I do not use bleach, but dish-soap containing bleach has worked OK.

Soak them a bit, hand-wash, rinse a few times. Do not wring them--block (blot dry) between a towel & then air dry.

Nothing on Earth is going to "clean" that Mugato shirt, unfortunately--it's a chemical dye reaction.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jds1911a1
              Alan Scott is the best GL
              • Aug 8, 2007

if you try to use a machine get one of those ladies delicates/underwear mesh wash bags to put them into and wash on handwash/delicate setting

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Those are all good ideas, I'll give it a try and see how it goes, PNGwynne your right about the chemical dye on the Mugato shirt, I didn't think that could be clean anyway, so I'll leave it alone. Talos yellow suite is not to bad, actually pretty darn good considering, just a small area of light wear. I did hand clean the Andorian jump suite with a touch of woolite came out better then I thought, not perfect but good enough, thanks to all the folks for there ideas, I'll keep these ideas in mind if I have to do again for something else.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎