Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants to see Bif Bang Pow continue with Dr Who???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

If BBP ever gets the license again, I will be onboard for more Dr. Who figures. We've got 3 out of 12/13 Doctors already, gotta fill up those holes in the collection, yo! Plus, I NEEDS A DAVROS!
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• megotastic
      Museum Super Collector
      • Oct 18, 2012

it seems very odd to me that they have not renewed the licence- i dont think you can blame the bbc for being fickle- but i dont think it helped that bbp were over a year late with morbius scaroth leela and sutekh.

Comment

• megotastic
        Museum Super Collector
        • Oct 18, 2012

i know retailers who were doing pre orders on these and were having to constantly adjust their delivery times for over a year from jan to feb to march to may to november- and im sure they lost many orders because of this-i know people we doing pre orders on ebay when they were due in may and had to refund everyone .
        retailers will have been dubious that the future releases would arrive anytime near the date expected and that makes it hard to judge demand and order appropriatly- even the dalek was late by about 6 months i think- i could be wrong.

i heard bbp had all the figures on a ship and it was held up- but for a year?

its really sad because i love bbp figures theyre actually better made than the original megos top quality and i loved the line but theyre not going to do any more guys sadly however much you ask- money rules the world fellas.

bbp are one of the best out there now, top end stuff , i think thay had a real run of bad luck with dr who- lateness and poor character choices- scaroth? sutekh? no davros? only 3 doctors? and the terrible cyberman ( sorry guys but its awful) really let this line down. the tom baker figure is superb, in fact all of the others are really wonderful.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
          Permanent Member
          • Jan 17, 2011

I would love to see more Who figures, either from BBP or someone else. One thing is the notion that you don't do all the big characters first or no one will buy the secondary characters later is a false notion for a line like Doctor Who because no line is going to run for 50-100 figures. If you just do the Doctor's and their main companions and villains you'd get at about 50 figures.
          1st Doctor, Susan Babara & Ian
          2nd Doctor, Jamie & Zoe
          3rd Doctor, Liz, Jo & The Brigadier
          4th Doctor, Sarah Jane, Leela, K-9 & Romana 1 & 2
          5th Doctor, Nyssa, Tegan & Adric
          6th Doctor, Peri
          7th Doctor, Mel & Ace
          8th Doctor, Grace
          9th Doctor, Rose & Captain Jack
          10th Doctor, Martha & Donna
          11th Doctor, Amy, Rory & River
          12th Doctor, Clara
          The War Doctor
          A Time Lord
          Villains : Dalek, Cyberman, Silurian, Sontaran, Ice Warrior, Zygon, Slitheen, Weeping Angel and The Master ( either Delgado or Ainley )

That's 51 character and not even all companions and no secondary villains. So if anyone gets the line again I hope they just go for the big characters because the chances of the line lasting for even that many is very very slim.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
            To Fear is Not Logical...
            • Feb 17, 2008

I was very pleased with BBP's figures and hope they are able to do more. I have been wondering if BBC wants to go with an English company like they just did dropping IDW and going withTitan books for the comics.
            It's all good!

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
              Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
              • Mar 3, 2010

I'd love to see more!
              Galaxy Explorer

Comment

• BifBangPow! JLabs
                Career Member
                • Dec 21, 2009

We sincerely thank you for all of your feedback and support. Yes, when we initially planned the line we focused on the Tom Baker era. We had plenty of plans to make all of the doctors, and had many of the head sculpts ready to go. This industry is challenging and fun. A lot can block a product from getting to market quickly - as we've discussed before. Some of it is on us (poor head sculpts, wrong size, poor fitting clothing, bad character selection, poor marketing, etc.), other issues are on the factory (delays, errors, quality control), and licensors (audits, approval delays, endless changes, etc.). It's amazing that us smaller companies actually get any product to market, right? We try our best here. Our only goal is to make and sell great product. And we are still working towards this goal.
                Co-founder, BifBangPow!
                bifbangpow.com
                twitter.com/bifbangpow

Comment

• raider5gt
                  Museum Tree Cutter
                  • Nov 25, 2007

I take my hat off to you sir,for being a small company and for doing a top class job on producing many toy lines of 8 inch goodness,love the BSG and DR Who lines.I hope we see alot more in the future.

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

I hope you guys get another kick at the bucket someday, and that the prototypes we did see of Rory, Amy, etc. will come to fruition down the line if you do regain the license at a future date.

Also, still hoping multicoloured Daleks might still be had at some point as well.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• THE FALCON
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 2, 2011

I was hoping for multicolored Daleks.

Comment

• luclin999
                        Museum Patron
                        • Oct 27, 2011

IMO the problem with this line always was the character choices. I personally have been a Who fan since the 70's but many of the modern "Who fans" don't have a clue about the older series.

My wife and several of our friends have watched and enjoyed the modern run but when I showed them this picture:

And aside from the cyberman (whom everyone thought just looked silly) they didn't have a clue who any of the other characters were (the exception being that my wife remembered the 4th Doctor as the "curly haired man from the old shows").

Nostalgia for the old figures from the 70's 9.5" line is nice and all but if they had really wanted to sell these figures to a modern, worldwide market then they needed to focus first upon the characters that the modern audience was familiar with rather than ones from the 60's + 70's. That is not to say that the classic characters should have been ignored completely however the product line needed to build some sort of momentum and frankly many modern fans don't know much at all about the older series. They should have followed a release pattern more closely aligned with the one done for the 5" series.

The first wave should have been:

The 11th Doctor
                        Amy
                        Rory
                        Dalek

Wave 2
                        10th Doctor
                        Rose
                        Modern Cyberman
                        Capt. Jack

Wave 3

River Song
                        Sarah Jane (modern)
                        K-9 (alone or in a Deluxe pack with either Sarah or Doctor #4)
                        4th Doctor
                        Davros

Those three waves along with assorted "convention special" and "mail away" promo variants would have sold well enough to the general public as well as to the "completist" collectors to have carried the line on to the 4th wave and beyond.

I mean after all, look at all of the figures which were produced for the other more successful line (which not coincidentally, started off with waves of the modern characters):

http://doctorwhotoys.net/figures.htm

I sincerely hope that if they ever do decide to take another shot at the 8" line that they remember to take the modern audience into consideration.
                        Last edited by luclin999; Mar 17, '14, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jan 17, 2011

^Yes and no.
                          Figures today aren't made for the "general public" as toys to be played with by kids since these will never show up in "general public" stores. If they were then the modern characters would be the way to go in the beginning.

Figure today are generally for the adult collector and most of those know Classic Who and the original Denny's line from the 70's. Also these are Retro figures with a nod to those 70's figures so the 4th Doctor ( the most popular classic Doctor ) and one of the figures released in the 70's line was an obvious choice.

What really killed the line ( other then the BBC just pulling the license ) was the inability to release figures in a timely manner - not sure if the BBC or BBP's business model is more responsible for that. While I don't agree that they should have gone totally with the modern Who to start, I do agree that some of the character choices were questionable, especially given the limited window and ability to produce figures. While everyone whats a line to run forever and make everyone's favorite figure, that's not practical so the concept of doing lesser character in the beginning instead of going for all the "big hitters" isn't a great plan. I posted a list before and if you were to make all the Doctors and their most notable companions plus major villains it would be over 50 figures and without the cooperation of the BBC ( which isn't easy from the sounds of it ) and the commitment to make the figures without reaching a certain level of preorders ( which is how it appeared ) no one will ever make ALL the figures that everyone wants. I'm happy to have what I have ( Thank you BBP ) and will hope that sometime in the future there might be more made by someone.
                          Last edited by Mego Magyar; Mar 17, '14, 8:08 AM.

Comment

• VulcansFury
                            Museum Patron
                            • Mar 6, 2014

I really wanted more. But, the shown Amy Pond and Rory figures were just hideous. I do wish they had gotten Tennant as the Doctor made.

Comment

• luclin999
                              Museum Patron
                              • Oct 27, 2011

Originally posted by magyar1964
                              ^Yes and no.
                              Figures today aren't made for the "general public" as toys to be played with by kids since these will never show up in "general public" stores. If they were then the modern characters would be the way to go in the beginning.

Figure today are generally for the adult collector and most of those know Classic Who and the original Denny's line from the 70's. Also these are Retro figures with a nod to those 70's figures so the 4th Doctor ( the most popular classic Doctor ) and one of the figures released in the 70's line was an obvious choice.
                              Problem with that is, even the target market in the stores that carried the toys didn't "get" the selection of figures.

The night that the first wave came out and were being put on the pegs in the comic shop I heard person after person asking "Where is Matt Smith? Where is David Tennant? Who is this "melty-face guy?"

If the first wave had been similar to what I described above then at least around here the entire stock would have been sold out the same night it hit the shelves, leaving many shop owners to call Diamond and ask for restock the next day. Thus increasing sales and giving more incentive to all those involved in keeping the line going.

As it actually ended up though I saw every figure except Baker in the first wave sit on those peg hooks for months before they finally dwindled away.

Comment

• dee T.
                                Veteran Member
                                • Sep 25, 2012

I want to see more of the doctor who line continue. There's too big of a fan base to stop making figures for these characters. I also hope to see them release a 10th doctor, but with a smaller head on his body. The last time I seen a picture of this figure its head looked enormous.
                                Clothes make the doll

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎