Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Planet of the Apes has another shot?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Do you think Planet of the Apes has another shot?

Not sure if DST still has the license but do you think with another new Planet of the Apes film coming out, that the time is right to give the ReMegos another chance? Perhaps with some new sculpts/characters that were never done? (HESTON!)

although I guess NECA has the license currently? Don't know if that covers 8" cloth.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

I'd love to see POTA get a complete Mego-style reboot with more screen accurate head sculpts and clothing.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Apes ReMegos?
      Not likely.

To be honest, so many series and licences have had the ReMego treatment these last few years, and a lot of them have gone the way of the Dodo.
      I have a feeling the rage is dying down as we speak.

It was fun while it lasted, but I don't feel like starting another series that dies halfway through for all kinds of reasons.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I'd love some. Truly. Reissues of the two Generals plus Nova & Taylor would be perfect IMO.

I do think they'd do well at comics shops, but a broader appeal is difficult without a cross-sell I suppose.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I asked NECA via twitter about this.

They don't want to do ReMegos of the Apes, claim that the Diamond stuff is still out there.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

While it's certainly debatable, and with the exception of the trashy Hasbro batches, I've been experiencing a steady and even increasing interest in Apes toys/collectibles. I'm basing this on watching and participating in the global instamarket and aftermarket availability (thank you technology!) and demand, which has increased over the past few years. There is no shortage of buyers on the hunt for minty specimens, variants, foreign releases, oddball, bootlegs, etc., in relationship to the millions of common Megos made vs. their rarer variants and specialty modern (Medicom, Sideshow, Hot Toys, etc.) releases. Some attribution could come the Bluray releases/boxsets and the franchise carrying forward (for better or worse) in the new movies. Of course some collectors expand and upgrade their collections to keep the hunt fresh too.

Yes, many of the new lines have stalled, closed-out… usually to see them surge in the subsequent aftermarket. Some of this is certainly due to failed/limited marketing and distribution. It comes down to better understanding your audiences as a maker. As a huge and historic franchise in pop culture, the POTA realm includes layers of diversity among the ranks, meaning if you can create interest across the collector base, as opposed to isolating the comic kid, poster collector or the toy freak, you can capitalize interest. For example, what if a limited edition figure was released with the Mondo posters?… the demand would have been instant as a unique crossover collectible instead of a niche offering. On the other end of the spectrum, trying buying one of the limited edition Holo or Grape Apes… they are no where to be found, released as LTD art toys with a demand way beyond the offering. Or take a look at the BAPE product lines, talk about crossover in the modern market merging POTA collectors and pop junkies.

I agree, on the toy front the juice is in characters never created, and in those re-created as strong/interesting characters from the films. Neca must have taken a hard look at the Medicom series and thought they could do better… and I like their moxy, but damn I wish they were gonna give the 8" scale another chance, ala Django. Either way, it's going to fun to see what they roll out… they have the entire realm to play with.

Comment

• Mr Mego
              Love to play with Megos
              • Oct 19, 2003

I agreed with Confessional. I'll be VERY happy IF they're making them included T-2 General Urko, Ursus, Taylor and Nova to finish complete ReMego POTA line.....

If they will then I will buying TONs of 'em!!!
              Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• Captain Awesome
                Career Member
                • May 27, 2012

NECA is doing a 7" line of POTA that includes figures from the new AND original movies. The Farrow is doing headsculpts for them. Saw it posted on Facebook.
                Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne

Comment

• mego73
                  Printed paperboard Tiger
                  • Aug 1, 2003

I would love it but don't think it's in the cards. The EMCE apes were simply wonderfully done.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                    Apes ReMegos?
                    Not likely.

To be honest, so many series and licences have had the ReMego treatment these last few years, and a lot of them have gone the way of the Dodo.
                    I have a feeling the rage is dying down as we speak.

It was fun while it lasted, but I don't feel like starting another series that dies halfway through for all kinds of reasons.
                    I don't think it's dying down just yet...FTC's superhero line has the potential to be huge, and two words could inject unbelievable life into the ReMego format...Star Wars. As soon as that license happens, and I think it definitely will, you'll see an explosion of sales which will attract the attention of other licenses once again.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Yeah, I had hoped EMCE would get to the general ape before the line went down. That was unfortunate because they were done PERFECTLY. Still there is quite a bit of Ape related merch that has cycled through retail in one form or another. The figures most memorable to me are the Medicom ones. I thought those were done very well. I wonder if they have retained any aftermarket value?

Comment

• johnmiic
                        Adrift
                        • Sep 6, 2002

I liked the Mediacom ones. Are those heads close to Mego scale? I always thought they would be better on Mego bodies.

Comment

• Confessional
                          Maker & Whatnot
                          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Clean MOC Medicom apes seem to always be above the retail, with the exception of a couple of them which you can snag for around $10. The variants can go for quite a bit… especially the Brown Corny. These were notorious for weird bubble separation and bent cards out of the case, so if you chase the minty stuff it can be pricey. Cost effective buy in lots, or even loose on the cheap.

They have a scale ranging from approximately 5.75" to 6.5", character dependent. The Lawgiver is beefy and great as a stand alone with other Apes figs. Heads are too small for direct Mego-transfer, and there are a few resin enlargements floating about, but the quality is poor/mediocre. Detail rocks and a few of the accessories are cool for Mego crossover.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            I don't think it's dying down just yet...FTC's superhero line has the potential to be huge, and two words could inject unbelievable life into the ReMego format...Star Wars. As soon as that license happens, and I think it definitely will, you'll see an explosion of sales which will attract the attention of other licenses once again.
                            The Batman ReMegos are currently in just about every comic store I've visited as far as I can tell, a vast majority who have never carried any ReMego product before... hopefully they can keep up this level of momentum. Particularly with the Titans being even more desirable figures to fill out a collection.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• tllgn
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 6, 2010

If EMCE dosent want to revist the apes license ,then perhaps Bif Bang Pow ,or now that figures toy company -that
                              is doing a wonderful job with dc ,can do them .i would buy more retro -mego apes.that was one of my favorites as
                              a kid ,still have them ,and when Emce came out with their first two,i bought them at suncoast ,at the same
                              mall just a few steps away from where woolworthes was back in 1974 .

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎