X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

I don't get it

Don't understand why The Bride figure is going for so cheap on Amazon compared to the other Universal Monsters. Got one last week for 5 bucks and can't figure it out. She's a pretty nice figure.
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Not sure either?
    I agree 100% she's one of the best in recent years.
    The paints are just amazing.
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

They were clearanced at TRU for a couple of bucks

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I think it's because of being paired with the Creature. Creature is a Rock Star. Any retailers offering the pair individually are probably stuck with lots of leftover Brides that they need to move.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

And yet that doesn't seem to be the case with the Metaluna Mutant.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

I think she's great.
            I have all of them carded, but now that the line is finished I might just gather a second (loose) set...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

I pulled them all off the card....Lol
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

I love the Bride as well and don't understand. She's one of the best looking figures and a popular iconic character.

Part of it might be some weird self fulfilling prophecy of "girl figures don't sell". If they short-packed her Three Creatures to One Bride, you know demand would go through the roof.

If she's selling for five bucks, that alone is worth stocking up on her for custom parts... the body alone is worth more than that.

I've had people tell me at shows that since Frankenstein is impossible to get now, they don't want the Bride since they consider them a set. What DST really should have done was either rerelease Frankenstein, or produce another version of him to pair with the Bride.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

That's a great idea for next Halloween: Monster and Bride together. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
                  Because it's true: if you can't get the Monster, you probably won't get the Bride.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

or at least DST should just rerelease Frankenstein individually... that would probably help to sell the overstock of The Bride.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

They would have been a neat and different Valentine's Day set if they went that way.

Comment

• raycastile
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Sep 11, 2004

For all I know, there might still be Bride figures hanging on a clearance peg at the local TRU. She seemed to be the poorest seller of the series. As I visited the St. Louis area TRU stores over the last couple years, I would always find Brides. (hey, that's a new singles dating idea...TRU meetups...) Dracula and Mummy would hang around, too. Especially Mummy. Only once have I seen a Creature on a store shelf, and that is the Creature I own. Creatures apparently vaporized the instant they hit the shelves. Poof!

I have two Brides. I thought she was a nice figure. But have Bride of Frankenstein toys ever sold well? The audience for Universal Monsters toys is overwhelmingly male. Bride usually ends up on the clearance shelves, along with Quasimodo. And even then, Quasi can't manage to get the girl. Poor Quasi.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

My other theory is it's the ridiculous face paint as dictated by the out of date Universal Monsters style guide. It hurts an otherwise great figure.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

I think it's a great figure, but it also has more of a doll register with the sheet that looks dress-like. It's accurate and done well, but I think those images filter out some collectors who are wanting to build a monster scene with a particular edginess which the Bride does not possess. I'm glad though EMCE recognized this character. She deserves her own spotlight in Universal monster lore.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Dang. Now I'm seeing her for $0.99 in the Amazon links.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎