X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

and older Doc Mego interview

This is really cool, I would guess it was from a period prior to EMCE Toys given that in the interview, Paul had not yet done any licensed lines. It's really neat to see how far he's come. Very inspiring to see someone to do what they love like this.

[img]

Last edited by samurainoir; Jan 20, '14, 3:12 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I've spent a ton of "toy time" digging through Paul's amazing resin head bin. If anyone deserves the crown of "the man who started it all' it's him. He blazed the trail.

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

This is the best observation Paul ever made and is why he "gets it". It's rarely stated but often understood. It is like the fictional tragedies which created Superman, Batman and Spider-man - loss:

"I pretty much had them till 7 th grade junior high when your mother says, “hey! enough of playing with dolls! Grow up, go meet a girl or something get out of the house”. I had to give away all my old toys. That’s a key component with collectors, most collectors at some point they were told to give up their toys or were thrown away or given to somebody else. But there’s always that loss that goes on."

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by johnmiic
        This is the best observation Paul ever made and is why he "gets it". It's rarely stated but often understood. It is like the fictional tragedies which created Superman, Batman and Spider-man - loss:

"I pretty much had them till 7 th grade junior high when your mother says, “hey! enough of playing with dolls! Grow up, go meet a girl or something get out of the house”. I had to give away all my old toys. That’s a key component with collectors, most collectors at some point they were told to give up their toys or were thrown away or given to somebody else. But there’s always that loss that goes on."
        This completely sums it up. I actually said it aloud the other day to myself, "You are filling a void that was created when you were 13 years old." It is very hard to have foresight when it comes to this stuff. The only toys that survived from my childhood are my Star Wars figures, and my LEGOs.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

That is such a great interview. Paul sounds like such a cool fellow. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to one of the get togethers someday and meet him in person.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
            That is such a great interview. Paul sounds like such a cool fellow. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to one of the get togethers someday and meet him in person.
            Yeah, Paul is great guy, and a fantastic ambassador of Mego. The sight of him and his table of custom and repro stuff is the first thing that you are greeted with when you enter the room at Mego Meet. From then on, you know that you are "home".

You can't help grabbling all the missing pieces of your childhood... thor hammers and helmets, cap shields, tiny oven mitts, you name it. Then... the customs bug hits you as you realize you can start using this stuff to assemble characters that Mego never made. I just about lost my head at my first Mego Meet, almost five years ago now!
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎