X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Black Spots on figures and hats?

I was going through the supply bin and pulled out a couple figures and some hats and noticed some black spots on a few cast-away parts only?
    Not sure if it's some kind of mold or defect or what?
    I know it wasn't there when I bought them.
    Has anybody else noticed this before?
    The cowboy hats have these spots and they go all the way through like a dye or mold?
    The figures I noticed only on the arms or hands not the legs or torso.It has happened to about three out of ten bodies.
    And 3 out of nine hats.
    I've seperated and bagged them away from everything else.It reminds me of the old mego zombification.

“When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Hard to see on the figure,I'm not sure why these pictures turned out so small?
    Same camera I always use.
    Anyway you can see them really well on the white hats.
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• David Lee
      The Fix-it-up Chappie
      • Jun 10, 2002

I have hundreds of these hats and none have mold spots... Same with the few bodies I have left... The only dots we ever encountered were white spots on the Phantom uniforms. I am afraid your mold is local...

Dave

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

Super weird they have never been wet,always stored in a nice dry area and no other parts mego,retro or ctvt.
        Just these six items?
        Oh well thanks for chiming in Dave good to know.
        I'll toss these out.

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Figured it out.i was just doing up some custom figures and pow there it was staring me in the face.
          I undressed a figure and his arms were completely cover in black from shoulder to wrist.
          He looks like he has tribal tattoos.He was wearing a black long sleeve shirt.
          I guess the dye seeped out and was absorbed by the arms the hats and other figure must have come in contact with the shirt.I took the shirt over to the sink turned on cold water and it just poured out black dye.
          Wish I hadn't thrown out the other figure and hats...lol
          Any way mystery solved I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.
          The shirt is black long sleeved with three black plastic buttons.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I've had that happen with modern GI Joes with black clothing.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• BATMAN89
              Mego obsessed!!!
              • Jul 20, 2010

Wow, I had the same happen to the Mattel RA body from the black Green Lantern suit.
              I have seen the same stains on DM and Zica bodies too. I have not seen Cast-A-Way bodies with it yet.
              Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
              My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

The blue sleeve's of Dr. Eville's tunic have stained the arms of some of my CAW figures.

Some styles of reMego bodies, with softer vinyl limbs, are going to pick up dye from darker costumes.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎