X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

"Mother's" Plastic Polish?

I saw this automotive plastic polish on a GI Joe site.

Has anyone used it or something similar on Mego vehicles?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Ooh, sounds intriguing. I'd like to buff up my Batmobile.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Will it turn my Kenner Stormtrooper white again?
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• theressa
        Sewing...?
        • Jun 13, 2004

If he's anything like Lancelot's armor and its deep, I used bleach water. That will only penetrate so far though.
        Wants, original parts; thinking...
        It's the quiet ones you gotta watch!
        Custom suits, in time
        T_SUITS

Comment

• tylerh
          Museum Patron
          • Sep 14, 2011

Call a model or hobby shop and ask for polishing compound. Tamiya makes one that model builders use to buff plane windows, etc...

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            Will it turn my Kenner Stormtrooper white again?
            I think people use hydrogen peroxide to do this. I'm not sure what type of plastic it works/doesn't work on, and what strength you use, but I know I've seen it mentioned on another messageboard. I think people put the yellowed piece in a water/peroxide mix and leave it in the sun for awhile. Do a websearch before you attempt anything though.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

No, this is a polish to reduce scuffing, not a whitener.

Patches of Pride, a GIJ site, suggested Mother's to improve the surface of Joe vehicles like the AT ATV--which has a heavy polystyrene body.

I was wondering ifi the polish would work in the waxier Mego vehicles/cycles.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• smonte00
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 19, 2005

I used to work at a sign shop and we used it a lot on plexiglass. I've also used it on headlights. Maybe try it on an unseen part first, like the underside.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I have used plastic polish on Joe vehicles and it does shine them up nicely but they are a different plastic than the Mego vehicles so not sure how well it would work. best bet is to try it on a beater if you have one and then let the rest of us know how it turned out

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I think I will. I recently got a blue Batcycle & do not need the sidecar--I'll see how it buffs up.

I think the plexigalss would be softer than the polystyrene, so I'm hopeful.

Comment

• Pman83
                      • Dec 22, 2013

PNG,
                      Can you take a few before and after pic's I would like to see the progress. I have a Batmo that needs a buff as well. I also noticed that I have some scotch
                      tape residue goo gone?

Thanks,
                      Chris
                      Last edited by Pman83; Jan 16, '14, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                        One eyed, wonder
                        • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Pman83
                        I also noticed that I have some scotch
                        tape residue goo gone?

Thanks,
                        Chris
                        Goo Gone may work. Don't use alcohol! Alcohol will only regenerate the glue, making it gooey and sticky. Using fabric, paper towel or tissue, will only leave glue and lint residue.
                        'Lighter fluid' dissolves glue very well. It's 'The old book sellers trick'. With 'lighter fluid', lint is not much of an issue. Once the glue is dissolved, lint brushes off very easy.

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

Goo gone is available almost everywhere and is great. I apply it with a Q-tip. WD40 will work on plastic but its too oily to chance on cardboard, like trying to remove price tags. Use only the goo gone for that situation. All dollar tree stores stock it, but be sure to keep it standing up. Their bottles are infamous for leaking once opened. I usually store mine in a ziplock bag to be safe.

I've used mothers metal polish in my RC racing days and they make a great product. Havent used the plastic version but as a company they come highly rated on their stuff. Well known on the custom car circuit. Bet the plastic polish was created for dashboard stuff. Probably works for vinyl too.
                          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I can't post pix of any worth, but I will let you all know here how I fare.

Thanks for the endorsement re: Mothers.

Comment

• Pman83
                              • Dec 22, 2013

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I can't post pix of any worth, but I will let you all know here how I fare.

Thanks for the endorsement re: Mothers.
                              That wound be awesome..

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎