• imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Mego Mailer Boxes: 1975 JC Penney Super-Gals

Placeholder thread. More soon.
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

How's it going? Got your Penney's RC Batman yet? Just shooting the breeze until it's up.

Comment

• imp
      Mego Book Author
      • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
      How's it going? Got your Penney's RC Batman yet? Just shooting the breeze until it's up.
      Originally posted by starbuk
      Here's a Idea ,Write the Blog THEN add the Link
      Man, you guys are ruthless!

Hey, I'm anal-retentive, man. I need to proof it a few hundred times!

Sorry for the delay. Here it is:

Read the blog.

Benjamin

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

I always enjoy reading your blogs, even this one even tho I'm not really interested in the mailer boxes. I can't even understand why anyone would want those. To me they look like plain, boring, cardboard boxes, I don't see the attraction
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• imp
          Mego Book Author
          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
          I always enjoy reading your blogs, even this one even tho I'm not really interested in the mailer boxes. I can't even understand why anyone would want those. To me they look like plain, boring, cardboard boxes, I don't see the attraction
          Fair enough, Thomas. They ARE plain, boring cardboard boxes! However, had you grown up in America, you might have a slightly different view of what they represent.

I completely understand your response to the packaging… it's fairly typical, actually. Accordingly, I included plenty of exlanation regarding certain collectors' interest in Mailer Boxes. Thank you for posting your thoughts!

As an author and collector, I'm thrilled that:
          a) You actually read my Blog and;

b) I can safely rule you out of the next Mailer Box auction's bidding war

(Jedi Mind Trick: "These aren't the Megos you're looking for.")

Benjamin

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by imp
            Fair enough, Thomas. They ARE plain, boring cardboard boxes! However, had you grown up in America, you might have a slightly different view of what they represent.
            You're probably right. I keep reading about Heroes World, JC Penney, Montgomery Ward, Sears and Kresge, but I have no affection with them. I know what they are/were, but having never visited one or even seen one, those names mean very little to me and so does their "exclusive" packaging.

Originally posted by imp
            b) I can safely rule you out of the next Mailer Box auction's bidding war
            That you can
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Sowth
              Career Member
              • Mar 14, 2006

We never had a catalogue culture in Australia. When I first got back into collecting I was fascinated with the idea of choosing items in a catalogue and sending away for them. How did you guys decide what you wanted? :-) I think because the vast majority of us live in a few big cities over here, there just wasn't a need for catalogues.

I do however have very fond memories of receiving Star Wars mail-away premiums through the post, and had to go and collect all those plain little white boxes again as an adult. So I can totally appreciate your fascination with mailers Benjamin!

It's pretty cool seeing crisp untouched figures appear out of beat-up old brown cardboard boxes as well.

Cheers,
              Will
              Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

• marmes
                Megolomaniac
                • May 12, 2007

Thanx for these WGT supplementary blogs,Ben!!
                I've been so busy and out of the loop the last few weeks,but don't think I haven't bopped by and seen these!!Great work as usual,dude...especially
                the blog before this one on the 3rd wave..drool

Keep up the awesome work my friend!!

In one of these upcoming blogs,we could do our expanded Xmas pics thing,no?

M

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

Good stuff. The recent Playmates Toys Simpsons WoS line had an extensive mail-away program, and I have to say I loved receiving those plain-white mailer boxes. Never in a million years would I throw them out, and I know in 30 yrs they'll probably be as cool to me as the figs themelves..

Comment

• rchatlin
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 24, 2001

I've become a convert to loving the mailer boxes over the last few years,
                    and have been lucky to find several nice ones on ebay during that time.

Great blog, Benjamin.

r
                    o
                    b

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Very nice and well worth the wait.

Comment

• DCSTING
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 23, 2004

As a child, I was so disapointed when I opened my x-mas gifts and saw that Santa delivered my Super hero's or Star Trek Mego's in these plain brown boxes (that for some reason read like they came from JC Penny or Sears instead of the North Pole, hmmm). I was so bummed because in the stores, they came in those great boxes or with Star Trek, on those cool blister cards.
                        Now, after all of these years, I now have an appreciation for the mailer boxes. Great Blogs Ben as always.

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by rcbats1
                          The great thing about the mailer boxes is that the figures seem to age better coming from those boxes. That Batgirl Ben has pictured is one of my own I won...by just beating out Rob C. Rob later on...or maybe before beat, me out of a RC Batman in mailer box. I still have pics of that Batman and nightmares of the loss!!
                          I'm so envious you own that stunning Batgirl! Great acquisition, my friend! Rob has definitely grabbed some amazing Mailer Boxes. His collection is already beyond drool-worthy.

Originally posted by DCSTING
                          Now, after all of these years, I now have an appreciation for the mailer boxes. Great Blogs Ben as always.
                          Great story! Thanks for sharing. I'm happy to hear you're digging the blogs, too. I appreciate the nod.

Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎