• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Unused Avengers Annual #10 cover

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

THat looks like Art Adams there. I really liked him when he first hit the scene, but he quickly faded for me. Is he even still doing comic work?
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

^ I believe that's Michael Golden art, not Art Adams...
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Random Axe
          THat looks like Art Adams there. I really liked him when he first hit the scene, but he quickly faded for me. Is he even still doing comic work?
          Chris is correct, that is Michael Golden, the interior artist for that particular issue, which introduced Rogue, and took Ms Marvel out of the picture for years and years.

Art Adams has gone the way of Adam Hughes and Brian Bolland. Primarily a cover artist, although he does a lot of commissions as well, which is collected in an annual volume he sells at SDCC every year for the past decade or so.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

That looks like modern Michael Golden. Did he do that recently?

The actual cover was by Al Milgrom. I can't say I was ever a huge fan of this work. There was just something about his thick finishes...I never warmed up to them. With all that said, I did kind of like his Spider-Man. He was very Ditko-y for the time.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

The original cover is so iconic for its color scheme and panel layout, as well as the ridiculous amount of space dedicated to that bicycle sweepstakes banner, which ran on every Marvel title that month, I believe. I wonder if Golden's original (which I like better than Milgrom's) was discarded because of the space required for the bicycle banner, and Milgrom's was a quick replacement, making space for the banner.

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Hi don't Byrne do a West Coast Avengers cover featuring Scarlet witch with a similar layout?

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

More Golden X-Men. Wish he did more.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah his style is so distinctive. I loved the issue of Marvel's Star Wars he did.

Comment

• flameape
                      • Jun 30, 2010

The work is a commission, posted by Phillipe Queveau on ComicArtFans. Renee Witterstaetter, Michael Golden's agent, commented on the art, explaining its origins.

"Back when the "Avengers Annual" was being produced, Michael produced several sketches for the cover, but they were not used. This is a commissioned piece of one of the sketches that Michael proposed for the Annual. Cover Quality commission, Very large. It really is an amazing piece when you see it in person too, much less a scan! Thanks to Philippe for the request!! --Renee"

More to the story- I found this post on a forum. Of course this is anecdotal, but for what it's worth, let's add to the rumor mill :

"So, about a year ago, after I told him that he drew my favorite issue of the Avengers , I asked Michael Golden why he didn't do this cover. He said he did a cover with Rogue and all of the heroes beaten down at her feet. Unfortunately, Shooter wanted a cover depicting several stories in the issues (like the one we see by Milgrom) and one that kept Rogue a mystery. he told Shooter that there was no way he could do that cover with the given deadline and it was handed off to quick draw Milgrom. Ughhh... "
                      -Monsty

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...6#.VeXKPflVjQC
                      Last edited by flameape; Sep 1, '15, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• flameape
                        • Jun 30, 2010

sorry, accidentally posted twice.
                        Last edited by flameape; Sep 1, '15, 10:53 AM. Reason: please delete if possible- had a browser error accidentally posted twice.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by flameape
                          The work is a commission, posted by Phillipe Queveau on ComicArtFans. Renee Witterstaetter, Michael Golden's agent, commented on the art, explaining its origins.

"Back when the "Avengers Annual" was being produced, Michael produced several sketches for the cover, but they were not used. This is a commissioned piece of one of the sketches that Michael proposed for the Annual. Cover Quality commission, Very large. It really is an amazing piece when you see it in person too, much less a scan! Thanks to Philippe for the request!! --Renee"

More to the story- I found this post on a forum. Of course this is anecdotal, but for what it's worth, let's add to the rumor mill :

"So, about a year ago, after I told him that he drew my favorite issue of the Avengers , I asked Michael Golden why he didn't do this cover. He said he did a cover with Rogue and all of the heroes beaten down at her feet. Unfortunately, Shooter wanted a cover depicting several stories in the issues (like the one we see by Milgrom) and one that kept Rogue a mystery. he told Shooter that there was no way he could do that cover with the given deadline and it was handed off to quick draw Milgrom. Ughhh... "
                          -Monsty

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...6#.VeXKPflVjQC
                          Neither link works for me.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎